Help with Photography / Videography PC
I'm a newbie when it comes to PC specs, but I'm putting together a PC which I intend to use mainly for Lightroom/Photoshop editing and then some basic video-editing (think Premier Elements). I have a budget of around £2k, after already having splashed out on a 24" Dell U2410 monitor and Logitech G500 mouse (after extensive research!). I've got an old banger wireless keyboard, but still going strong, so al in all no real need for any other peripherals...
Here's my spec...
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 650D GAMING CASE
- I know it's sligthly indulgent, but I love the clean look of this case.
Overclocked Intel® Six Core i7-3930K (3.2GHz @ max 4.6GHz)
- In two minds about this i7 2700k / 3930k / 3960k (or the non-overclocked versions). I've read way to much to not be confused any more. By the sounds of it, both LR/PS will benefit from more cores, so I think the 3930k is the way to go for me?
ASUS® P9X79 PRO: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011
- No idea - picked the middle of the bunch. Extendable to 64G RAM sounds good.
16GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS QUAD-DDR3 1600MHz X.M.P(4 x 4GB KIT)
- Scope for adding on in future. 1600MHz faster than 1333MHz - or would this not be a real benefit to me?
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti 448 CORE (BETTER THAN 2GB VERSION!)
- Don't think I need anything spectacular here, but this seems a good deal?
FREE Battlefield 3 with Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 CORE!
- (might turn into a gamer after all and get christmas light case)
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
- Sounds like it's a good idea to have Windows / LR / PS on here?
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
- Only need 1TB at the moment (have external drives for back-ups). On some forums it's stated that LR could benefit from additional scratch space on a separate drive as the data, so hope to add another one of these in future (for some reason I can only pick 2 drives when setting the quote up?)
10x LG BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£65)
- In case I manage to get some videos out that are not total rubbish.
CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£87)
- Been recommended a 650W, but for £20 extra might as well future proof slightly?
INTEL CERTIFIED LIQUID CPU COOLER FOR SOCKET LG2011
- No idea - this was picked by default. I hope it's not masses of work to maintain a water-cooling system, i.e. draining my fishtank to cool my CPU?
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
- Sounds like a good idea for only £9 - up to 5C cooler...
Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio (£32)
- Not sure I need a sound card? Will this be of any benefit to video-editing?
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs - Standard
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD - Standard
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£146)
- Could go for Professional, but I quite like the idea of bitLocker and Microsoft state this can extend to my external drives as well...
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Price: £1,936.00 including VAT and delivery.
Any hints / tips / suggestions / corrections would be greatly appreciated!
Oh yes - some of my (older) portfolio is on here if anyone's interested in having a look. http://johanvaneck.zenfolio.com/
Am I on the right path, or should I get something much lower in spec and have some spare cash to spend on a new lens or two?
Thanks for your help!
Last edited by johvan; 19-02-12 at 12:18.
Tags for this Thread