Upgrading GTX675M to GTX680M

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Once Ivy Bridge is released (hopefully tomorrow, on the 23rd April) I am considering ordered a Vortex III (17.3 or 15.6) chassis with the GTX675m option. Can I upgrade to the Kepler GTX680m once nVidia release it? Is the GPU soldered to the motherboard, or can it be easily replaced?

Daymos

Bronze Level Poster
That's what I was thinking.

I thought it would have made more sense to get the most basic GPU if you plan on upgrading within 3 months or so.

I'm in the same boat with the CPU

I'm was tempted to get an i3 and then update to the fastest CPU later this year but that would be too painfull and expensive to i decided to get a mid range i7 with the intention to upgrade in a year or 2

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
I wasn't sure if a basic GPU is actually soldered onto the motherboard so it cannot be easily upgraded. I read somewhere on the Internet that better quality GPUs are not soldered onto the motherboard, making them a lot easier to upgrade than their cheaper counterparts.

Would it be worth upgrading to a Kepler GPU when it's released, or stay with a GTX675m?

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
If you are not keen on nvidia only, radeon hd7970m should be released on 24th and should be a beast based on the leaked benchmarks.

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
As I am planning on doing some Photoshop CS5 & video editing using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 will it make a difference in terms on rendering performance if I used an ATI graphics card, considering that Premiere Pro supports nVidia's CUDA technology to accelerate rending.

Unfortunately, from what I have read PPro CS4 does not natively support CUDA accelerated rendering so I would have to purchase a third-party plug-in to do this, which I do not intend to do.

If that is the case I may consider the ATI radeon hd7970m as an alternative, unless PCS don't provide this as an option for the Vortex III.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
1. Ivy Bridge is launched on 29th paril, not 23rd.

2. We have no stock of any Ivy bridge mobile CPUs. Until Intel delivery expect long delay after launch.

3. All being well (and by no way a guarantee) you should be able to upgrade the 670M/675M to 680M once lanuched later this year (September time).

4. 7970M will be in stock in early May.

lod193

Is that a service PCS will facilitate? E.g. if I wanted to upgrade to the 680M when it's released, could I send my Vortex 3 back to get the upgrade done?

clancy2k

Bronze Level Poster
Is that a service PCS will facilitate? E.g. if I wanted to upgrade to the 680M when it's released, could I send my Vortex 3 back to get the upgrade done?

I hope so. I've ordered a Vortex III, it's now in day 7 of production.. So, it would be nice to know that if I wanted to upgrade to the GTX 680m, PCS would do it for me.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We are happy to upgrade the GPU in the chassis for you, however you will have to buy the new GPU outright (we don't offer an exchange service for used components unfortunately).