17.3" Optimus II vs. 17.3" Vortex III

Rsaeire

I've been reading through the forums and configuring laptops until I'm blue in the face so I'd appreciate some assistance with a few questions.

I know several features that the Vortex III has that the Optimus II does not, which are as follows:

• Backlit keyboard
  • Onkyo speakers
  • Better audio (5.1 vs 2.1)
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • Ivy Bridge CPUs
  • More powerful GPU options
  • Up to 32 GB RAM
  • More display outputs
  • Better connectivity

Besides the above, what other differences are there that makes the Vortex III so much more expensive? I know the above seems like a lot, but I'm seeing approx £365 of a price difference when I attempt to configure very similar builds on both models that I don't feel reflects such an increase. I'm assuming the Vortex III possibly better build quality, but it's hard to tell from the screenshots on site.

As always, I appreciate any response.

Rsaeire

Thanks for the response. I tried the comparison before posting but I'm still left wondering what else is different besides the obvious. Taking everything into account, and what you, or anyone else, know about the materials that go into making both laptops, is there much of a difference in build quality? Does the Vortex III feel sturdier? Have you received feedback from customers regarding the Vortex III's build quality?

If the Optimus II had a backlit keyboard, I might have just gone for it instead. I read that the Optimus III is coming soon. Are you able to advise what features it will have? What Clevo model will it be based on?

I understand I'm asking a lot of questions, but I want to make sure, especially in these recessionary times, that I'm spending my money wisely. I know, regardless, that PCS is a company that's highly recommended, I'm just down to debating which laptop model I'm going to choose.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I would say the Vortex series are more sturdy than the Optimus - they are designed for high end use and handle this better than the Optimus series.

The 15.6" Optimus III is coming soon, the 17.3" model in about a month's time.

Rsaeire

Is the matte screen option on the 17.3" Vortex III 95% gamut like the matte screen option on the 15.6" Vortex III?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Is the matte screen option on the 17.3" Vortex III 95% gamut like the matte screen option on the 15.6" Vortex III?

No, the 17.3" matte screens are 72% gamut - a 95% gamut version does not exist unfortunately.

Rsaeire

Thanks for the reply.

One other question. While PCS offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, does the collect & return service, that's inclusive of the warranty, include collection and return from and to the Republic of Ireland? I would anticipate that it does, since a delivery option to the Republic of Ireland is offered, but I want to be sure before finally purchasing the Vortex III.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply.

One other question. While PCS offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, does the collect & return service, that's inclusive of the warranty, include collection and return from and to the Republic of Ireland? I would anticipate that it does, since a delivery option to the Republic of Ireland is offered, but I want to be sure before finally purchasing the Vortex III.

As per 5.11 of our Terms and Conditions unfortunately we do not offer a collection service outside the UK. This is because our courier company do not operate this service outside the UK. The service is RTB.

Rsaeire

So if I availed of the warranty, e.g. Silver, I would need to return the laptop to PCS at my own expense and the return of the laptop would be at the expense of...?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We would return it to you at our expense, you'd just need to ship it back to us using your own courier.

1zikki

Bronze Level Poster
I would say the Vortex series are more sturdy than the Optimus - they are designed for high end use and handle this better than the Optimus series.

The 15.6" Optimus III is coming soon, the 17.3" model in about a month's time.

Is there any information on the Optimus III 17.3" yet?