I suppose everyone has his or her five minutes here - on this great PCS forum. And the life of the account we might divide into 7 sections:
- I don't want to buy. I want to check! It all starts when we go and just check how rich we ought to be in order to buy a new laptop. That one dream machine. I would bet you started from selecting the best spec available just to see the price out of this world. Than slowly adjusting the budget to the required performance.
- Becoming an expert. Than you rush to the websites/forums read all the articles about the peripherals. You gather knowledge and suddenly after a while you do know the newest models of the processors available on the market. The GPU that will be released soon. The benchmarks results. Known issues...
- Order Finding the sock with money, destroying the piggy money box, robbing the bank... Whatever works for you. As soon as you are out of the money you enter the next phase :P
- Ultimate patience test/ Rapeing the forum And it started... poor forum users. But that feeling of belonging to the internet society is not that bad, is it?
- Setting up the beast Installing the system; drivers; testing the performance; checking temps... etc.
- Review or no review. It is up to you. However writing a review is beneficial for people that are still not sure. If you got a great machine for the attractive price I can not find a reason why shouldn't you write at least a short few words to describe your experience with the comapny who made your dreams come true. Or turned your life into nightmare! jk.
- Bye You compared with others. You showed them yours, they showed you theirs... If everything works as it should be. We will see you as soon as a problem with you new toy arise...
So what is my story?
I was following dell outlet for half a year to get my dream machine. I set up a budget of 600. Than 700... And during one night (I ought to be studying for an exam I came across the PCS website. I'm gonna have a resit now :P
I was tracking an i7 2nd generation + gt555m from dell outlet that was going for about 770. (+-100 depends from the configuration)
I saw Vortex 3LE: I7 3'rd + GTX 660M - wow and just under 900. I needed a laptop to work. As I have plenty of time. And I got addicted to the GW2. What is more D3 was released. As my journey with Blizzard started 12 years ago... I had to! :P
I had a chat with the sales advisor. (Don't remember the name correctly but I think his surname was somehow related to Pirates of the Caraibbean. - Turner?) Man you are golden! From the very start I was surprised how friendly and helpful people prof PCS are. Than I ordered. Vortex 3 LE. I wanted to buy it on finance. I would pay 27/month for 11 and pay the rest in one go next year. Unfortunatelly I didn't get it that way. I remember that I was slightly shaking giving my card details (as bank at the beginning blocked my card I couldn't pay through the website).
6th day of pre-production ... and I just couldn't ! I'm spending fortune on the new computer and the HD 7970m that will outperform everything was just 200 quid more. What is 200 quid? I got two speeding tickets in on go for 120 overall today. I cancelled the order. I wanted the Vortex 3 with ATI on the board. + Some other amendments and I was just under 1200. ps. F*** me. If I wont be able to play GW2 on ultra...
Tomorrow is the day. In the morning I want to see a delivery man giving me the parcel in soo gentle way as he would walk with the egg. Tomorrow I want to plug in my prepared usb with Win7. I want to see 3dMARK11 result of about 5800. I will edit that post to post some pictures for you. And short reviews are to come as well!
Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM (PRE-ORDER, EARLY JUNE)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB Momentus XT (7,200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
"That caddy something."
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£69)
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
- Processed Date 29-05-2012
- Pre-Production Date 06-06-2012
- Build Date 14-06-2012
- Test Date 15-06-2012
- Awaiting Dispatch Date 15-06-2012
- Dispatch Date 15-06-2012
Who Worked on This Order?
- Built By Tom Davies
- Tested By Carl Auckland
- QC'd By Carl Auckland
- Packed By Anthony Cunliffe