soundcard problem.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Just got my pc hooked up today.everything was going nicely until i plugged in my head phones,pc immediately shut down & restarted.Thing is ive got a sound card but speakers wouldnt work with it so i plugged them into on board & they worked.both card & onboard appear in device manager(shouldnt on board be disabled?)anyway head phones where plugged into on board socket when pc shut down,now im scared to plug them in anywhere.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Try plugging them in again to see if the PC shuts down, and let us know if it's the onboard or Creative soundcard that causes the issue. The default output from the soundcard can be configured in Control Panel --> Sound.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try plugging them in again to see if the PC shuts down, and let us know if it's the onboard or Creative soundcard that causes the issue. The default output from the soundcard can be configured in Control Panel --> Sound.
Really confused now,made (speakers via high definition) default device,got no sound,took speaker jack out from where it was (onboard card)plugged back into same got sound back.plugged in head phones to front jack as before when pc shut down,didnt shut down this time but no sound from head phones,sound continued from speakers head phones plugged in or not.playback devices are listed as 1.ati hdmi output.ati high definition audio device(not plugged in)2.speakers.creative sb x fi.(ready)3.spdif out.creative sb x fi.(ready)4.speakers.via high definition audio(default device)5.spdif interface (txi).via high definition audio(ready)6.hd audio hdmi out.via high definition audio(ready)

Sleinous

Author Level
1. Is ur ATI gpu, u dont want sound to come out of the hdmi cable to your monitor. (Although test this by putting headphones in the monitor's headphone jack).

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the shutdown was related to your headphones - it's probably a coincidence that it happened just as you plugged your headphones in.

Please contact our call centre and they will run through setting up your soundcard. Please note though that some Creative soundcards cannot be used in conjunction with the front panel audio.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
1. Is ur ATI gpu, u dont want sound to come out of the hdmi cable to your monitor. (Although test this by putting headphones in the monitor's headphone jack).
Monitor connected with dvi cable although there is a phone jack on it.I knew as pcs says the front jacks might not work with sound card.what i cant understand why isnt onboard card disabled ?surely this is just complicating things.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I don't think the shutdown was related to your headphones - it's probably a coincidence that it happened just as you plugged your headphones in.

Please contact our call centre and they will run through setting up your soundcard. Please note though that some Creative soundcards cannot be used in conjunction with the front panel audio.
Got it sorted over phone,just set sound blaster card to default.feel a bit of a prat now,not used to windows7,but it still doesnt explain pc shutting down,might have been static.forgot to ask about that when on the phone.