Internet Security Suite

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
So what kind of internet security do you use?

I've tried zone alarm security suite but its started becoming temperamental and stop programs from accessing the net even the one in its list.

I've tried my ISP Virgin Media Security tool but that's blocking FFXI from accessing the net despite having the correct ports open and the correct list of programs required to access the net.

At the moment I'm using windows firewall and Microsoft Essential.

Also is the Windows built in Firewall going to be ok? or should I look for something better?

Gorman

Author Level
In my personal experience all you need is a firewall on your router, MSE and common sense.

Security suites and such are often intrusive resource hogs which can cause more issues than they solve :p

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
well my router has a built in firewall with some ports open for remote assistance.
And windows firewall is on right now.

Gorman

Author Level
well my router has a built in firewall with some ports open for remote assistance.
And windows firewall is on right now.

Then as long as you browse with caution and treat your emails with a healthy amount of paranoia, you should be fine!

Xavien

Enthusiast
zone alarm is an awful system hog i got shot of it a while back and the virgin one is even worse. Im using kaspersky suite at the moment and it seems to run sweet on my system. I dont have a router at the moment (although as per another post here somewhere) im going to get one within due course.

Ive very paranoid when it comes to pc viruses so i will still be running kaspersky as well as the firewall help from the router when i get it.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
As Gorman said as long as you treat your email with suspicion where due, you should never pick up viruses, etc. I've never used anti-virus and never has a virus yet. However for some people or for peace of mind antivirus/internet security is a must.

Meds

Windows Firewall & Microsoft Security Essentials all the way.. and a little common sense when opening emails & using internet :)

Gazza

Bronze Level Poster
I've been using ESET security for over 3 years now and never had a problem .. its the only software I don't mind paying for :D

Stappa

Enthusiast
The latest virus test in Com shopper/PC pro found that AVG FREE 2011 out- preformed MSE as well as most paid for A/V suits?, I've used AVG for years with no complaints

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
I've gone with free Comodo security suite for firewall and antivirus, also lets you chose at the install if you wanna use their DNS servers, which I've found faster than my default crappy AOL ones for general net browsing and their DNS also automatically blocks web pages it's had reports about, much the same as Firefox does, I use both.
Takes a while to train it on what to allow with accepting warnings, but I guess most good ones do. Had no problems with it crashing or visibly slowing anything down so far, it's only been a few months but I'm happy with it.

Check this link for further info on it
http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Internet-Security/3000-2239_4-10460704.html
But use the Comodo website for any download for correct version!

Last edited:

frosty

The latest virus test in Com shopper/PC pro found that AVG FREE 2011 out- preformed MSE as well as most paid for A/V suits?, I've used AVG for years with no complaints

I saw the labs test in Computer shopper and they actually said AVG free was a "best buy" lol ,obviously as its a free cut down version. What has won these labtests last two years running is Kaspersky antivirus but you have to pay £22 ish for a 3 licence version which I buy because the kids have laptops and cant be trusted to be cautious, they dont see the risk as a problem same as we do.

Tom DWC

Different magazines rate different products. If I were being cynical I'd say their scores are often based on who provides them with the greatest advertisement revenue.

So far in our free software thread we have MSE, AVG, Avast!, Comodo, Spybot S&D! and Malwarebytes. To me, MSE is the best choice because Microsoft release the updates for your operating system - why not let them handle security too? Plus it integrates well with Windows and has a clean, unobtrusive interface.

But it doesn't really matter which one people use as long as it's free! Security suites are the one thing I can't stand to see people pay for.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Some people reckon a couple of the top pay for security suites are almost as bad as having a virus,they hog resources so much(bit of an exaggeration i would think) & just try to get rid of them,two i know of, you need to download special removal tools & they dont always work.

Al.Neri

Super Star
Different magazines rate different products. If I were being cynical I'd say their scores are often based on who provides them with the greatest advertisement revenue.

So far in our free software thread we have MSE, AVG, Avast!, Comodo, Spybot S&D! and Malwarebytes. To me, MSE is the best choice because Microsoft release the updates for your operating system - why not let them handle security too? Plus it integrates well with Windows and has a clean, unobtrusive interface.

But it doesn't really matter which one people use as long as it's free! Security suites are the one thing I can't stand to see people pay for.

that's exactly how I see it.