Does 17.3" Optimus II's motherboard support SATA 6Gb/s?

nickaura

Does 17.3" Optimus II's motherboard support SATA 6Gb/s?
I can't see anything on the specifications stating so.

Just wondering since I'm waiting until the OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" SSD is released sometime in the next few days/weeks as I plan on opting for this instead of the Vertex 2.

Thank you, Nick.

Meds

After browsing the web, I've read that the HDD bay does support SATA 6GB/s but the optical drive bay is SATA 3GB/s. I will nudge PCS to confirm this for us.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
According to the manufacturers specification, this chassis does not support SATA 6GB/s drives. However, I have requested clarfiication on this. If the chassis does support SATA 6GB/s drives, we will list them and inform you of this.

nickaura

According to the manufacturers specification, this chassis does not support SATA 6GB/s drives. However, I have requested clarfiication on this. If the chassis does support SATA 6GB/s drives, we will list them and inform you of this.

I see, but as both the Vertex 2 and 3 SSD are both the same size at 2.5", I guess it wouldn't be size that is the
concern?

I have 2 other questions if I may?

I'm just wondering as I would plan to buy a computer with Vertex 3 or upgrade to this drive after buying a laptop from here. By any chance would the Vortex II or Viper II be supported with 6 GB/s internal SSDs?

Also do the laptop power adapters allow for variable voltage (to be used in Japan?)
Thank you.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I see, but as both the Vertex 2 and 3 SSD are both the same size at 2.5", I guess it wouldn't be size that is the
concern?

Apologies - let me re-phrase what I meant. The SATA 6GB/s drives will fit and function in the laptop, but not at 6GB/s speeds. Therefore there's no point paying the extra for one of these drives if they won't give you the extra performance.

I have 2 other questions if I may?

I'm just wondering as I would plan to buy a computer with Vertex 3 or upgrade to this drive after buying a laptop from here. By any chance would the Vortex II or Viper II be supported with 6 GB/s internal SSDs?

Also do the laptop power adapters allow for variable voltage (to be used in Japan?)
Thank you.

1. As far as I am currently aware, none of our laptops support SATA 6GB/s drives. By this I mean they will work, but only at SATA 3GB/s speeds.

2. Our adapters are standard AC adapters, designed to be used in the UK. I'm not sure if they can be used in Japan, but my best guess would be that they aren't. The good news is that in most circumstances power adapters only cost £20 - £30.

nickaura

Apologies - let me re-phrase what I meant. The SATA 6GB/s drives will fit and function in the laptop, but not at 6GB/s speeds. Therefore there's no point paying the extra for one of these drives if they won't give you the extra performance.

1. As far as I am currently aware, none of our laptops support SATA 6GB/s drives. By this I mean they will work, but only at SATA 3GB/s speeds.

2. Our adapters are standard AC adapters, designed to be used in the UK. I'm not sure if they can be used in Japan, but my best guess would be that they aren't. The good news is that in most circumstances power adapters only cost £20 - £30.

Thanks for the information, but I'm afraid I am still slightly confused, haha. :D (sorry!)

I did some research the other day and other people have been posing the same question on different forums, communities, etc all awaiting the Vertex 3 SSD.

First of all, according to Intel's website the HM65 chipset that comes with the Vortex II fully supports the 6gbps / SATA 3.0, secondly all the new line up of sandy bridge architecture laptop and desktop processors also fully support the SATA 3.0.

Would the reason these laptops don't support the SATA 3.0 be due to them not having SATA 3.0 sockets integrated onto the motherboard?

I'll also add that other custom build laptop and PC companies in US, Canada and Europe have actually started listing the SATA 3.0 SSDs (as well as Vertex 3) as an option for hard drive, of which many of these companies also use the same chipset and processor that the Vortex II build includes. I guess the lack of support for SATA 3.0 is solely due to the difference in motherboard then, Foxconn right?

Sorry to pose this question so strongly, it's just that I am really eager to buy laptop from here soon!
Cheers, Nick.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still waiting for a response from the ODM in Taiwan, I'll post back as soon as we hear. :)

pez

Hmmm, I'm reading about this and wondering whether I made a mistake ordering the vertex2 SSD and not waiting for the Vertex3? How noticible is the difference? What about upgrading at a later date if I wanted to? Would you guys do the work if I wanted say to swap out the HDD for a secondary SSD?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, I'm reading about this and wondering whether I made a mistake ordering the vertex2 SSD and not waiting for the Vertex3? How noticible is the difference? What about upgrading at a later date if I wanted to? Would you guys do the work if I wanted say to swap out the HDD for a secondary SSD?

Again, this is only worth doing if the laptop supports SATA 6GB/s drives. You're welsome to swap out the drive at a later date, it's very easy to do yourself. However, we cannot accept the old drive back, you'd need to sell this on eBay...

pez

Well, we'll know about whether it's supported when you hear back from the ODM I guess :)
As for replacing the old one, cool :)

nickaura

Hi, just wondering if you have had an answer from the ODM over the issue of 6Gbps compatibility with Vortex II?
Thanks, Nick :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The official response was that they are supported by the chipset, and that the SATA port is connected to the 6GB's controllers. Therefore we have now added the SATA 6GB's drives as an option. :)

MPM

OCZ Vertex 3s too please?

Its been the reason i've delayed my order. I see they're there for the desktop range but not the Vortex II laptops.
:D