Computer cant sleep!

Hey,

Whenever i click to put the comp into sleep mode it just shuts off and when i restart it i get the 'didnt turn off properly' message.
Im not sure if there was already a thread concerning this issue, but meh.
Ive tried resetting the power settings and ive not touched anything in the bios (yet) to have it affect anything.

So yeah, please help as its really annoying. :/
Cheers.

pengipete

Rising Star
There's a known problem with Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and certain hard-drive controllers. If that's the cause (and it very likely is) there's a hotfix available from Microsoft that works (it worked for me and I posted it around a few forums and have had all positive feedback). Trouble is, this fix must only be used for this specific problem so you need to post your specs so I can make sure before recommending it.

i5-760 processor
8gb kingston hyper-x 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
640GB western digital caviar black 64mb cache
ASUS p7p55d-e motherboard

dunno if you need more?

Last edited:

pengipete

Rising Star
It would be better if you posted the full details from your order but if that's all you can provide I can only say that if you are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and if your Windows hard-drive is connected to your motherboard's Marvell Sata 6GB/s port then the hotfix applies and you can download and install this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2495523/en-us

DO NOT INSTALL THIS HOTFIX IF THE ABOVE DOES NOT APPLY

Post back and let us know how you get on.

jalvles

Hi there,

I'm having exactly the same issue, here are the details of my order:

COOLERMASTER SILEO 500 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™i5-660 Dual Core (3.33GHz, 4MB Cache) + HD Graphics + Turbo Boost
Motherboard: ASUS® P7H55-M/USB3: MICRO ATX MAINBOARD,USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0Gb/s
Memory (RAM): 8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card: INTEGRATED INTEL HD GRAPHICS (HDMI, DVI, 1920 X 1200)
2nd Graphics Card: NONE
Memory: - 1st Hard Disk 1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk: NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: NONE
Memory Card Reader: INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£78)
Processor Cooling: SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options: 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem: NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Floppy Disk Drive: NONE
Firewire & Video Editing: NONE
TV Card: NONE
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79).

Hope that's all you need spec-wise. Will that hotfix link be suitable to sort it? Thanks in advance :)

pengipete

Rising Star
Definitely worth trying as you have the Marvell 91XX headers. I've had more feedback on the Asus motherboard forums and so far it seems to have worked for everyone who's used it. Fingers crossed - post back and let us know how you get on.

jalvles

No luck I'm afraid, it won't let me run the x64 hotfix. I get an error saying it's not compatible with the version of windows I'm running. I'm assuming I need the x64 version as I'm running a 64bit OS?

The other two versions of the hot fix do run, but then ia64 and x86 both say the update isn't applicable to my computer.

Thanks for your help and quick repsonse though :) Not sure where to go from here, maybe I'm doing something wrong running the fix?

Thanks again.

Skinner

Bronze Level Poster
Hi pengipete, I'm having the same problem.
I've recently been getting the 'blue screen of death' when sending the pc to sleep. I'm not 100% sure but I think it has only started doing it since installing Win 7 service pack 1. Here's the spec of my computer:
Case
COOLERMASTER COSMOS 1000 SILVER SILENT CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
12GB SAMSUNG DDR3 TRI-DDR3 1333MHz (3 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 - 2 DVI,mHDMI - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
640GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD6402AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W TX SERIES (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
Memory - 2nd Hard Disk
640GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD6402AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

Do you think I should try running the patch?

pengipete

Rising Star
Yes - you have the Marvell "mini-port" header and your specs suggest you are running Windowsoff the 6GB drive - so the patch is safe to use. That doesn't definitely mean it will cure the problem (though I believe that it will) - just that it won't harm your Pc or cause other problems.