USB 3.0 drives.....pointless?

Xavien

Enthusiast
Well i decided to buy a usb 3.0 external hard drive since i have two ports with the asus rampage 3 mother board.

After spending some time looking into the limited ones that are avalible at the moment i decided to buy the buffalo drive station usb 3 external HD (HD-HXU3).

Its a 1TB drive and cost around £100. After setting it up (which there wasnt much to do) and enabling its so called fantastic turbo usb mode i decided to put it to the test.

It takes me about 1hr 30 mins to copy 110GB of info from my standard usb 2 drive to my pc (raptor drive) so i was hoping to shave off around an hour or maybe a bit less with the new drive.

To my dismay it wasnt any quicker at all, it still took 1hr 30mins under usb 3 and didnt make any difference at all. Very disapointing indeed. Now either the drive is full of empty promises or the two usb 3 ports on the back of my pc arent working properly.

Either way its a shame that usb 3 looks to be a huge disapointment.

Well ive just found out why its not any faster, the light on it, is suppose to be blue when running usb 3 and green when running usb 2. unfortuantely i cant make it go blue no matter what settings i mess about with, i wonder if my usb 3 ports arent working properly?

Last edited:

Quander

Well i decided to buy a usb 3.0 external hard drive since i have two ports with the asus rampage 3 mother board.

After spending some time looking into the limited ones that are avalible at the moment i decided to buy the buffalo drive station usb 3 external HD (HD-HXU3).

Its a 1TB drive and cost around £100. After setting it up (which there wasnt much to do) and enabling its so called fantastic turbo usb mode i decided to put it to the test.

It takes me about 1hr 30 mins to copy 110GB of info from my standard usb 2 drive to my pc (raptor drive) so i was hoping to shave off around an hour or maybe a bit less with the new drive.

To my dismay it wasnt any quicker at all, it still took 1hr 30mins under usb 3 and didnt make any difference at all. Very disapointing indeed. Now either the drive is full of empty promises or the two usb 3 ports on the back of my pc arent working properly.

Either way its a shame that usb 3 looks to be a huge disapointment.

Well ive just found out why its not any faster, the light on it, is suppose to be blue when running usb 3 and green when running usb 2. unfortuantely i cant make it go blue no matter what settings i mess about with, i wonder if my usb 3 ports arent working properly?

This post may explain - it appears it has to be switched on somewhere - BIOS perhaps:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/286262-13-working-asus-p7p55d

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
First thing first, visit http://uk.asus.com and download the latest USB 3.0 drivers for your motherboard, and install these then restart.

Also, have you double checked that you are connecting your drive to a USB 3.0 port and not a USB 2.0 port?

LDUK

Master Poster
I swear this is just a marketing thing. It works, but how will it with the average HDD. a 7200RPM HDD has a read/write speed of about 50Mbps average, and a 10000RPM HDD has about 65Mbps R/W speed. USB 2.0 has a raw data rate of 480Mbps. But you can only send and receive data, as fast as a HDD can read or write on both ends. For arguments sake, lets say the sending HDD will read @ 100Mbps and the receiving HDD will write @ 100Mbps (which is clearly higher than average), they will be transferred along USB 2.0 @ 100Mbps (or less). Now we go to USB 3.0 which has a speed of 4.8 Gbps (4800Mbps). Although it has such a high transfer speed, it is still limited the the speed of the two HDD's transferring information.
In all, you wont get any difference in transfer speed between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.

Xavien

Enthusiast
Looks like the problem is that i have to install a driver in windows for usb 3. Its just not enough that the controller is enabled, the HDD now shows the blue light instead of the green light when transfering data. However ive yet to test how quick it really is.