Reported fan speeds vs. reality

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
The new pc has five fans running and using CPUID monitor, I can see the CPU fan speed fluctuating in real time - no problem. However, AUXFANIN0, AUXFANIN1 and AUXFANIN2 are reported as running at 164RPM now, at min and at max which suggests they are not sensing speed changes. Oviously I have checked the hardware is actually running and all fans are whizzing around very nicely, albeit is silently.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards: Anthony.

pengipete

Rising Star
You need to tell us your hardware - motherboard etc - and what application is reporting those speeds. If it's a third-party app like SpeedFan, you need to tell us if it is actually showing the correct number of fans and if the app's authors state that it supports your motherboard. If it's HWMonitor - use something else that actually works :)

Edit -

Sorry - just re-read your post and realised that you are using HWMonitor - ditch it cos it's a pain in the backside.

Last edited:

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
Hello Pete:

It is an Asus board a P8P67 and I was using the HWmonitor. Reading your initial reply, I removed HWMonitor and installed Speedfan. It is reporting the CPU fan at around 2000rpm (which is much faster than previously reported) and the three other fans as 0rpm. Is there a setting in the BIOS to activate fan speed reporting? I accept that all fans may not be reported, depending on where they get their power from.

Anthony.

pengipete

Rising Star
Speedfan often needs to be configured to correctly identify fans and sensors. Without having that board to actually check, there's no way I can tell you what settings to use - maybe someone who uses it can help, otherwise, try Almico's website.

Bear in mind that Speedfan doesn't work with every board - again, check the website and look at the latest Beta version in case that adds support.

You may also want to check the Asus download site for your mobo - they have monitoring tools (just check the Asus forum or Google around cos the Asus apps vary in quality)

One thing to check when using Asus motherboards - see if there is an "unknown device" in Windows' Device Manager - if there is, you may be missing an ATK0110 driver - that's needed for BIOS and Windows to communicate properly. You can download the driver from Asus or - usually - via Microsoft Update (if it's set to download drivers).