Crashing whilst playing games (not even particularly new ones!)

Dan!

Hi guys,

I bought my PC from here about 3 years ago, and for 2 years I was completely chuffed with it, not a single problem!

Then, out of the blue, it started crashing at random points when i played Cs:s - not having had a single problem before - The game would crash, locking out the system and the screen switches to digital powersave mode. I then have no option but to reeboot and wipe away my tears.

I've cleaned out the intercooler and fan, played the game with the case open to monitor the temp of all components, uninstalled and reinstalled ALL graphics drivers, played the game at high settings / low settings / with and FPS config - all failed!

This is the problem as google see's it:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cra...ient=firefox-a

Most people here attribute the problem to a low end PSU - but I have a 450W Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan which I am assured is strong enough. I don't think the graphics card is faulty as it worked fine for a couple years, the problem didnt occurr in line with any driver updates, I AM STUMPED!

Any suggestions are welcome, thankyou for reading guys,

Dan

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™2 Duo E7200 (2 X 2.53GHz) 1066Hz FSB/2MB L2 Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P5K SE: DDR2, SATAII, PCI-e x16, 2 PCI, 3 x PCI-e x1
Memory (RAM) 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)
Graphics Card 512MB RADEON HD 3870 PCI Express + DVI
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 320GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 20x Dual Layer LightScribe DVD Writer ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply 450W Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling STANDARD CPU COOLER
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options 8 x USB 2.0 PORTS (6 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Operating System Genuine Windows XP™ Home + SP3, CD & Licence
Monitor LG W2252TQ 22 inch Wide: HDCP/DVI/2MS/1680 x1050

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
Have you attempted any stability testing on components? For example; MemTest to check RAM, Prime95 to check CPU, etc?

Tracker

Enthusiast
Prime 95 is just a benchmark, it's nothing to do with overclocking or such (other than overclockers will use it to test cpu stability (and to a certain extent memory too) by stressing the cpu to see if there are any faults which may not become apparent during normal use). It stresses the cpu out to maximum, and the program will halt as soon as the most minor of errors is found.

again, perfectly safe to run, it will not change any setting on your computer, just a way of "testing" for flaws in cpu / memory.

have you tried running some virus checkers? I've had issues similar to what you described where a nasty virus was causing my programs to crash ( and masquerading in my startup list as MSN messenger), and have you tried reinstalling the game itself? it may be that a part of the software (either the game or the platform, e.g, steam) has become corrupted on the harddrive or something of that nature.

Pete

Bright Spark
just because the pc has been working doesn't mean anything i'm afraid; components can fail over a period of time, or even sooner :¬)

Is it only when playing games ? - probably be graphics card, or possibly memory
Does it happen after you've been playing games for quite sometime ? - could be an overheating issue, monitor with SeepdFan or similar.
Have you moved the PC recently - Memory or graphics card might need re-seating.

Let us know how you get on and how the pc is behaving

Dan!

Hi guys, thats some really good advice, I appreciate you getting back to me.

The crashes are more sporadic than a heat issue, it can crash after 1 minute or after 30 - lately it has got much worse. Sometimes i get an Ati2dvag bluescreen too, usually with different games than the infinate loop problem, but if you type the error into google, people with the same sort of GPU have the same sort of problem.

For starters I have moved my computer a load since being at uni so I will open her up and make sure the GPU is sitting tight tonight.

I have tried a couple things since the last post so here goes,

I let MemTest run to 120% no errors, ram seems fine.

Speedfan can only detect 1 fan which functions around 31-32% at standing and in-game. Taking the case off - All 3 fans run, no wierd noises and the airflow seems unrestricted.

Playing the game with the case off and monitoring the internal temp when a crash occur yielded nothing - the graphics card can be hot or cool on crashing.

FurMark really gets my GPU going, after about 5/7mins she's up around 70degrees C and doesnt seem to be heading much higher (from a standing temp of 30-35 degrees) I think it will reach over 80 after 10min but I dont want to stress it that much as I dont think throwing a load of work at it will help it any.

What I really need to do is start narrowing down the different components -

Spoke to a guy in the shop and he said to flash drivers- Done. Than if that doesnt work to remove graphics card and play directly from GPU in motherboard -But there is no way I can run CS:S to test the issue without some sort of graphics unit working.

I don't mind buying a new graphics card, but this might not help the issue.

What exactly will I learn from Prime95?

I don't think I have any viruses, I'm good with keeping safe and use EndItAll to identify and programmes not essential to running the system.

Also been through numerous installs, uninstalls, re-installs of bothe the game (HL2/CS:S) the engine (Steam) and directX.

This smells like a graphics problem, other games work, more graphics hungry games have worked better - I've had problems with other games but solved it by lowering my settings.

I'm going to re-seat my GPU and see if anything is loose but I really don't want to admit defeat and take it to the shop, all they will tell me is that I need a new graphics card, he was itching to say it last time I was there!

really appreciate you guys taking the time to look alllll this over,

Dan

paul1224

I would suggest:
1. Re-seat the graphics card.
2. Make sure all drivers are up to date.
3. If the above don't make the system any more stable then consider running something like Gamesbooster in case this type of application helps.

Dan!

Re-seating graphics card after this post, then if problem persists I will try gamebooster. Should i defrag game files with this? Or just cut down apps for more RAM etc?

paul1224

I've never used Gamesbooster myself but have found alot of people who have benefited from it helping them play games when their systems have run them poorly before.
My understanding is that the software will run to make sure that all drivers are ok, background applications aren't interfering with system performance, setting are tweaked, etc so as long as it is run via the defaults initially just to see if it offers any improvement.

Dan!

Took out graphics card, cleaned dust and removed fan from the intercooler, cleaned under there and reseated no problems, PROBLEM STILL OCCURS! Tried gamesbooster, really frees up my CPU but PROBLEM STILL HAPPENS!

Really not sure what to try next. Sometimes now when I turn on my system the monitor boots up same as the tower but then falls into power save mode - the same as when the crash ocurrs.

Maybe its to do with the output of the graphics card where the monitor plugs in? How do i test this?

Thanks

Pete

Bright Spark
I think the only way now is to try another graphics card, only sure way to prove one way or another.

A 450w psu isn't going to give you much room to upgrade sadly.
I had similar problem with my 5 year old pc, in the end i got the same card from xfxshop.co.uk as it wasn't made any longer. There are new and refurbished on there, so be careful.

If you know any geeky friends who might have a spare, or your IT dept in work might help you out ?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
My friend had this problem on Sims 3 and other lower games, it was because the frame rate was so high it couldn't handle it and therefore crashes, there is a program to combat this but I'm not sure what it is, google it

Dan!

Hey, Got hold of a graphics card, its completely crap tho, doesnt have a heat sink and the fan/case is the size of a jaffa cake, apparently it couldnt even stand up to Red Alert 2 so is it even worth trying?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Best get one the same or at least similar,then if everything's ok you know it's the graphics card.