Windows 7 Video Thumbnails Not Showing

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Hi Peeps,

Not sure if anyone will be able to help (usually someone on this board does come up trumps) or if someone has asked this before. I seem to have lost the thumbnails for all my movie files.

I used to be able to see a still preview of the video in explorer with either VLC player/WMP symbol in the corner of the movie icon. This has gone and all I see is a blank icon.

Any ideas how to fix this? I tried Folder Options and checking/unchecking the thumbnail option which did not work.

Any help will be much appreciated.

P

PCRepair

This sounds like it may be down to the codec's eith not being installed or that they may be corrupted. I would recommend trying to play the file and see if it plays ok. If it doesn't then I would recommend installing K-Lite Codec pack. If you are using Windows 7 64 bit then install both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions as they will compliment each other. Also what type of file is it?

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Thanks, the files play fine without problems and I am using win7 64bit. I think they are avi/mpeg files (or something like that). I have a single folder with all the files in there.

I have already uninstalled and re-installed K-lite 7.56 (not sure if it is 32bit or 64 bit). Can you actually install both 32bit and 64bit on the system? Do you have any links for both?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try tools/folder options/view/unticktick always show icons never thumbnails/tick display file icon on thumbnails.
you might have to tick & untick them in the right order before it reappears.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Thanks Vanthus, I already did the 'always show icons never thumbnails' check/uncheck. I will try this in tandem with 'display file icon on thumbnails'.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Thank you, all sorted. Managed to fix the problem. Uninstalled k-lite 7.56 (FULL) then installed k-lite 64bit and k-lite 7.5 (MEGA) pack. I can now see the thumbnails again.