Gaming rig under £750

patmcg

Hi folks, planning on ordering my PC when I get paid tomorrow, could you have a look at my specs and let me know what you think?

Case InWIN DRAGON RIDER BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) AMD PHENOM II X4 970 (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard ASUS® M5A87: AM3+ PLATFORM, DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM) 4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card 2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6950 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4
Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
(7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£86)
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
(£5)
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working day

TudorVII

Enthusiast
You could save a little money by swapping the RAM down to the 4Gb Samsung 1333MHz option, you wouldn't notice a difference in performance unless you overclock really.

Other than that, looks pretty good to me.

Teaz

Godlike
specs are looking solid.

as Tudor said, go for the 1333mhz ram as the 1600mhz is just usually for some good overclocking. you wouldnt really see or notice a difference from the 1333mhz ram.

go for the 650w psu which has plenty of breathing room unless you want to make quite alot of upgrades or adding more components in then stick with the 750w :)

patmcg

New specs, basically changed the ram and psu as per the above suggestions enabling me to have a better CPU cooler, works out £1 cheaper than my original quote at £733.

Case
InWIN DRAGON RIDER BLACK GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X4 970 (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION

Motherboard
ASUS® M5A87: AM3+ PLATFORM, DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0

Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6950 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£72)

Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity 1

TudorVII

Enthusiast
Good shout on the CPU cooler, should keep your rig nice and cool now.

Order that sunovagun and start enjoying it! :D

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
no real need for the titan if you arent OCing, and this is probably a less firey processor than say i5/i7/1100T

the triple copper will be fine, you may have a problem with the fenrir fitting in your case properly without removing the side fan(s)

patmcg

Downgraded to the copper cooler and doubled the RAM, came in at £744 in total. I have win7 64bit pro already purchased and unused as my old rig was dying and no point installing it. +rep for all that replied.

Ordered today, now just to wait for the next 10-12 days for delivery.

patmcg

Got the txt to confirm my order has been dispatched today so should come on Thursday. PCS have been great with email/txt updates at every stage of the process and the timescales are as promised.

Looking forward to getting the big box tomorrow :)

Last edited:

patmcg

Yodel strike again, been in all day as the parcel was out from the local depot at 8:21am, my wife was in and I went to pick up my daughter from school and saw a DHL van on the main street ( my house is on a terrace parallel to it ) which drove off without a driver getting out. Checked tracking and found

"Unable to gain timely access 15/09/11 15:53"

Called Yodel, but as it was after 4pm before I got through they said they can't re deliver next day so it will now be Monday before it turns up. No card, no call from them and no one buzzed the intercom. I have asked they get the local depot to call me back ( But I think I'll do it myself ) and try to get the driver to come back.

Fantastic.

patmcg

Despite the national Yodel people telling me it would have to be Monday for a re deliver, I googled the Glasgow depot and called them, they then called the driver for me. A very helpful lady then called me back to say the driver had buzzed ( he didn't ) and tried my neighbours ( nope not that either ). However she has passed my mobile on to the driver so he can come out tomorrow and call me if he has any problems.

Not a slight on PCS, I have recommended them to several people looking for a new build. More on Yodel and their direct delivery people. I work for a company that uses Yodel myself and have had to deal with customer complaints about this sort of thing, where if your address is in a tower block or a street that is near a similar named street etc, they seem to get lost a lot. It's a shame that companies have to use a delivery service with so many issues.

When it turns up. I will be commending Wendy from the Yodel Glasgow Depot for taking ownership and calling me back within 30 mins, not so much for the person on the national team who was nowhere near as helpful.

patmcg

case%u00252B1.JPG

Came today at 2pm, been setting it all up. Looks good so far ( sorry about only one pic of the case, more will follow )

Small issue with the large fan on the side of the case not spinning due to the 2 power cables going to the Video card, I might be able to make room with a cable tidy though.

Last edited:

patmcg

Cable tidy holding back the 2 PCI-E connectors to the 6950 did the job. Slight gripe that this wasn't noticed in testing, apart from that PC runs like a champ, temps all in range or lower at idle/full load.

I'm assuming the testing was done with the side panel off for ease of access, but if I hadn't noticed it my vid card or fan might have been goosed.