Mini PC for programming

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
Do I need to make a special request if I want to get the original packaging and manuals etc. that my hardware came with?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Do I need to make a special request if I want to get the original packaging and manuals etc. that my hardware came with?

Yes - please request this via our call centre asap if required.

Anybody know if my board (Intel DH57JG) can do a UEFI boot?

UEFI is not something I'm familiar with, but after a quick search of Google I found this article: http://www.intel.co.jp/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010355.htm

On the page it discusses enabling UEFI, and towards the bottom includes a list of relevant boards, which includes the DH57JG. Therefore my gut feeling is yes, it will support it.

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
Your Google-fu is better than mine!
I looked for a while for this info; seems the .co.jp version of Intel's sites might be more informative than the .com

Regarding original packaging... well I don't really need it, but I'd like it :) I think I left a message with live support with the request. (Don't have UK phone access at the moment.)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Please email [email protected] or better still, login to your online account and send an online message. Don't leave a message on live support as this is not actively monitored.

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
10 working days of pre-production so far... anybody know how soon my order might get built? University is starting in about 4 (regular) days. Could it be worth paying for fast track at this stage?

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
Processed Date
20-09-2010

Pre-Production Date
21-09-2010

Build Date
04-10-2010

Test Date
04-10-2010

Awaiting Dispatch Date
04-10-2010

Dispatch Date
04-10-2010

All the good stuff happened today within the space of a few hours I believe.
So exciting! :)
And today also happens to be the day I was matriculated at the University.
Hope I can be at home tomorrow when the courier comes.

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
Exact same spec is now only £710 instead of £726. I don't think that's too bad a difference for two weeks though... (or I'm just suffering from post-purchase rationalization...)

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
ugh stupid DHL is "unable to locate" my address.
I'm going to go buy a mobile phone and then call them now.

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
Did I post my address somewhere?

I bought the phone and (eventually) called DHL - wasted a lot of time getting lost, and in queues at various shops.
The operator took my notes ("go to the back of the house, where there is actually a road") and added them to the job, and took my new number so the driver can call, but unfortunately she said he's unlikely to try again today, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow....

Sleinous

Author Level
Did I post my address somewhere?

I bought the phone and (eventually) called DHL - wasted a lot of time getting lost, and in queues at various shops.
The operator took my notes ("go to the back of the house, where there is actually a road") and added them to the job, and took my new number so the driver can call, but unfortunately she said he's unlikely to try again today, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow....

Nah, I meant, expensive as in, its so hard to find you had to buy a mobile phone just to get DHL to find it :p Admittedly a mobile now costs £9 from orange, but, still!

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
OK My PC arrived today finally.
But alas......

I plugged everything in and turned it on, and the monitor just says "No Signal".
  • I cannot get it to show me a display.
The monitor cable provided is DVI-D single link, I believe, and the motherboard expects DVI-I dual link, but those should be compatible right?
UPDATE: I just searched the forums for "no signal" and found various similar cases. I don't have a screwdriver (yet) so can't open up my case. But I am trying to use onboard graphics, and I didn't ask for any other GPU so there shouldn't be one. I can't remember whether I heard the POST beep or not - I think not... but I'll check again when I go back home.

Further issues:
  • There is some kind of optical drive included - I didn't ask for one.
  • The fan makes an awful loud clicking noise if the case is upright. If I turn it on its side, the noise goes down to a quieter (but still relatively loud) whirr. It must be clicking against the case somewhere - has it been installed too close to something?
  • The keyboard and mouse lights don't light up when I plug them into the USB ports. Actually the mouse lights up briefly if I don't plug it in all the way, but eventually the light goes off again. Maybe this can help in troubleshooting?
I really really don't want to have to send it back to PCS - University is starting tomorrow, and I had enough trouble getting DHL to find my house in the first place, can't imagine trying to organize couriers in the other direction when all I have is my bike and not much money left...

But of course I would rather have a working computer, if that's what it takes, than to be out £700+ for nothing...

Last edited:

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
Anyone know where to go look for a screwdriver in Cambridge (or UK generally), esp. after hours, by the way? I might need one if I'm going to open the case (depending on what PCS technical support tells me over the phone, if it comes to that tomorrow).

Sleinous

Author Level
Tesco 24/7

The loud clicking noise: Nearly always the power cable to it that is slightly touching the fan, happens to me when I close my case up sometimes.

Yes single and dual should be compatible. I think the only difference is the bandwidth, but single is still better than VGA, which itself can display well over 1920x1080. No idea why its not displaying though, very odd, will have to ring them up or wait for a reply.

If you have no display then I guess you never completed the installation of Windows (Enter in username etc etc etc etc) therefore its unlikely youd have proper light displays on keyboard and mouse, but they may still be working. Could be wrong though. Again, most urgent is this screen.

Last edited:

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
Not planning on installing Windows, but yeah I'm not too worried about the keyboard and mouse yet... will be a problem if I can't keyboard my way around the BIOS menus (if they ever turn up) though.

Thanks for the Tesco tip - might have my first ever Tesco visit tonight :) And see if I can move that fan cable (hope that's what's causing it...)

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
Checked when I got home: there was no POST beep.

So I cycled the mile over to Tesco last night and bought a screwdriver.
Came home and took a few screws off the Inwin case.
But I couldn't figure out how to open it up properly without feeling like I was going to break something, so eventually I went to bed.
By the way, Sleinous, you were right about the fan: after I opened it up, I could put it upright without hearing any clicking - I think the cable just popped out of the way when it had the room.

Woke up around 5:30 this morning with plans of calling PCS (or getting them to call me, since otherwise it's too expensive) running through my head. Headed over to the computer again and this time found the magic plastic clips on the front of the case. The front portion comes off and then the other bits are easier to move around. Finally was able to open it up and get the motherboard exposed.

One of the clips next to the RAM stick seemed not to be in properly. I took the whole stick out and tried turning it on again.
Beep! Sweet sweet sound...
So then I tried putting the stick back in again - much harder than it sounds!
I ended up taking both RAM sticks out and then looking at the Intel picture instructions.
They were straightforward - open the clips and push the stick in...
Oh Intel why do you make your motherboard so hostile to RAM? Or maybe it was Samsung that made them slightly the wrong shape or size...
Anyway, after some fearfully hard pushing, and a bit of coaxing with the clips, I got both the sticks in to my satisfaction.

Turned it on again, got the beep, got the 4GB of memory showing up, and even managed to enter the BIOS.
(By the way, UEFI boot is an option there, yay.)

Then tried booting off my USB stick, but that failed (either with or without uefi), but I reckon that's because I haven't set it up properly. Will try to set that up today (surprisingly hard to do without root access on any of the university Linux machines; the Windows version of "dd" copied the iso onto a partition on the drive, I reckon, which is why it doesn't work: I want to copy over the whole drive including partition table etc.)

In the worst case I can just buy a CDR, burn the iso onto it, and boot from CD, since PCS supplied me with an unexpected optical drive...

Will post back when I get my OS installed!
So happy the hardware seems to be working now :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Glad it's all working now. Given that the wires had moved and the RAM popped out of it's socket, it sounds like it's had a rough journey!

The free DVD Writer is our mistake. One flaw we have is we have a program to automatically check each specification is correct, but not to check if an additional item has been added. Enjoy :)

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
It is basically impossible to "burn" a bootable USB disk using university computers (no root access), so I'm glad you gave me the free optical drive :) I ended up burning a CD and booting my installer off that.

Lovely new PCS machine is now sitting at home running idle, ready to do my bidding fast.
It is quick and quiet.
In fact too quiet - haven't been able to get any sound out of my headphones/speakers yet, but I believe that's a software problem and hope to find a fix in the next few days.