Speed of hard drive?

yamibone

im not sure what u mean what drives installed, i only have a 1TB WD1002FAEX SATA 6 Gb/s drive and its in the first slot

Here is a clearer picture

gorman i emailed tech support they said "Please could you enter the BIOS and ensure the SATA 6gb/s is enabled, you can find out the instructions in the motherboard manual you have recieved."

Gorman

Author Level
Ok, ignore it for tonight as its not hurting anything and then expect a nice long email in the morning explaining exactly how and what to check for.

Gorman

Author Level
Hello Yamibone,

I wont email i will post it here for future referance.

So i recreated your machine this morning same HDD and Mobo to see what happened.

1. It immediately showed the drive as 6Gbs
  2. Changing the IDE / AHCI mode in BIOS made no difference
  3. There were no other settings that could be related within BIOS
  4. Using a sata 3gbs cable, it would not fit, they are physically different connections
  5. Plugging a slower device into the Marvell controller Grey/White ports did not affect the speed of the drive, it listed them independantly

So that pretty much rules out everything we have been thinking so far. So that leaves us with two options.

1. The drive is faulty
  2. The drive has had a jumper applied to the back which limits it to 3Gbs, this isnt on by default and doesnt even come with the drive

So if you could kindly check the rear of the drive for any jumpers that will look something like this:

hddinstall_jump.jpg

We are only left with one option as far as i can see.

Gorman

Author Level
For those of you watching this exciting story unfold we are sending out a new cable and HDD to see if thats what is causing the HDD to show as 3Gbs instead of 6Gbs. We have built 2 machines to recreate this problem this morning and found no way to get the drive showing 3Gbs :(

To answer your question Yamibone the USB 3 ports are here:

usb3.JPG

yamibone

thanks gorman, i received the drive today and installed it and now it is showing 6gb/sec. I noticed the cable was different to my previous one (which I sent back) so that might have been the cause I'm not sure (although my cable did have a centre line in it). Anyway problem fixed! Thanks :D

Zeplini

run the bios update renzz, if un sure how then please call our support and they can help you through it ;) then let us know the results

Sleinous

Author Level
EDIT: Didnt see it was fixed :p
Renzz are those 2 in RAID or just 2 discs for storage?

Last edited:

renzz

The mobo is already running he latest bios published on the ASUS site (0303). The two disks are just for data, not RAID. I know I could Ghost them off to new ones, but it's a bit of a faf.

I was speaking to support about the other issue I have (12GB RAM occasionally detected as 10, which seems to be a known issue with the Corsair sticks), and they mentioned a new bios due soon (to fix that as well). I think I'll probably wait and see what happens then - if they are still detected as 3GB/s then maybe I will ask for an RMA.

Meds

Hey Yami,

The HDD will have been tested then returned to the HDD Manufacturer for a warranty replacement.