iaStorA.sys BSOD, Desktop and Browsers malfunctioning

R-109

Hi,

So I've had problems with my PC (new from PCS, late July 2014) pretty much since the start of this year. I tried to find the cause and fix it, but to no avail. I sent PCS Tech Support a message last Wednesday (07/01/15) but they still haven't read and replied.

The problem... is complicated. Please bear with me, because this will be a big post because I need to share the errors I'm having but also what I've done to try and fix. Below is a heavily adapted copy of what I sent to PCS Tech Support:

=====

-----
Problems with PC are as follows:
1) The Desktop in general (explorer.exe) often begins to respond slowly when in use, sometimes freezing, sometimes becoming responsive again after waiting or sometimes crashing (can happen when logging in and entering password, too).
2) The same goes for any of my browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE).
3) On two odd occasions, my HDD (second Hard Drive, no OS) has disappeared from my PC.
4) I've had one BSOD that wasn't recorded (happened after explorer.exe crash) and two other BSODs (iaStorA.sys and "A process or thread... unexpectedly exited/terminated", also iaStorA.sys) that occurred whilst attempting to download and install a game via Steam onto my HDD (didn't try SSD)(can play installed video games as normal, without issue).
-----

Steps implemented to fix problem so far:

1) Cleared browser cookies and caches, played around with disabling plugins and extensions. No fix.
2) Ran virus checks with Avast! Anti-Virus and Malware-bytes (quick and deep scans). No viruses, no fix.
3) Ran CCleaner across browsers, registry, temp files. Cleaned up ~2GB but no fix (also no change/new problems).
4) Downloaded and Installed a fairly large (~50) backlog of Windows Updates. No fix.
5) Ran Intel Diagnostics test (Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit) on my CPU about ten times in a row (keeping an eye on its temperature) and it passed each time, no issues.
6) Ran 7 passes with Window's Memory Diagnostic (1 standard solo test, then 6 extended consecutive tests next day). Each passed with no detected problems.
7) Ran chkdsk on both hard drives (SSD with OS came with PC, HDD for storage from previous PC) with no errors. (Running again right now, each test on both drives (3 for each) had "Unable to obtain a handle to the event log" at the end but no errors).
8) Ran sfc /scannow multiple times (3 consecutive today) with no problems. However, the first time I ran it after the problem occurred, it did say it fixed some corrupted files. The problem remained. No fix.
9) Ran a video game for an hour (now also for multiple hours) and had no problems doing so.
10) Checked inside my PC for any obvious damage or cause for problems but there were none.
11) Began checking drivers. Graphics driver is up-to-date. I don't know how to check other drivers so I installed "SlimDrivers" to detect outdated drivers, and I updated the driver for my Intel Ethernet Connection, ASUS Network Adapter, Realtek High Definition Audio, Intel PCI Bridge, and Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller (this is off memory and checking a list of drivers since I didn't note down which drivers I was updating). No fix.

It might still be a driver issue, but I don't know how to update drivers (and before using SlimDrivers, all drivers are the same as when the PC was shipped, except one for my cooling system and my graphics driver).

The errors so far:

1) [this error message couldn't be recorded because I accidentally pressed a button and it disappeared. Below is what I remember]
"explorer.exe can't be restarted ... .dll file missing"
[incidentally, I have since manually stopped and restarted explorer.exe with no problems via Task Manager]
[when explorer.exe *does* crash, Task Manager cannot be accessed, even via CTRL + ALT + DELETE]

2) "chrome.exe = Application Error
The instruction at 0x0000000075C74407 referenced memory at 0x0000000075C74407.
The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of
0x000000e.
Click on OK to terminate the program."

3) "Windows Media Player: wmplayer.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x00000000693D57F5 referenced memory at 0x00000000693D57F5.
The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status
of 0xc000000e.
Click on OK to terminate the program."
[These three happened during the same crash. In this case, when explorer.exe crashed the only two programs open were Google Chrome and Windows Media Player.]

4) [Chrome, Speedtest.net]
The instruction at 0x64262766 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program.
[Note: both explorer.exe and sidebar.exe(gadgets) had crashed prior to this error]

5) [Downloading a game on Steam to HDD]
Blue Screen - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code - 0x000000f4
iaStorA.sys (no photo, using BlueScreenView to access minidump, can provide more info on request)

6) [Attempt to download same game on Steam again to my HDD]
Blue Screen - A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
iaStorA.sys
[Despite having two blue screen events, BlueScreenView only detects one minidump, which seems to be for 5) ]

EDIT: Although the actual error quoted iaStorA.sys for both BSODs, BlueScreenView lists many files for the one minidump it detects, highlighting ntoskrnl.exe and Null.sys. BSV also says "Null.sys" under "Caused By Driver" and "Null.SYS+6961830" under "Caused by Address". The "Crash Address" is "ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0".
-----

A short explanation of events:

It started with internet connectivity problems that I couldn't fix, so I left it until the next day since it occurred in the evening. This problem occurred randomly (was only using Chrome). Strangely, my brother had the same problem on his smart phone, but otherwise for him the problem was resolved the next day. Unfortunately, however, my PC was still having problems.

Instead of internet connectivity problems, the browsers are now responding slowly, if not freezing altogether and becoming unresponsive for a short amount of time (occurs with all browsers, Chrome often shows "waiting for cache", and I have already cleared my cache and cookies). The same is also happening with general use on my PC. For example, sometimes my PC freezes for a while (30secs-ish) when logging in to Windows. The same can be said if I try to "show hidden icons" on my Taskbar, open the Start Menu, show available internet connections (also on the Taskbar), or otherwise interact with my Taskbar, although whether or not it occurs seems a matter of chance.

I've spent my time since trying to fix the problem myself, but I can't figure it out. See the "Steps implemented..." above. The other errors can be seen in the error section, also above. Only one Blue Screen has occurred due to explorer.exe crashing (which only happens if I'm trying to use the browsers or something). Otherwise I will only get a Blue Screen if trying to install/download a game via Steam. I haven't tried to install games any other way for now. I've installed a few programs to my SSD (C drive) which detect drivers and update them, and had no problems.

=====

All I can think to try at the moment is to either use System Restore (I have my doubts) and restore to a date when I know the PC was fine, or to format my C: drive (SSD) and re-install Windows (I don't know how, though, and don't want to cause further problems to my PC).

Thank you in advance for your patience. Any and all help/advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Aaaahhhhh... feel ya pain, it's frustrating when it gets to this. Next time, I'd recommend posting somewhere like here first, because it's possible it was just driver incompatibility from the start, name iastora.sys which is a part of the motherboard drivers.

Unfortunately "SlimDrivers" may cause more issues than it's going to solve, but that remains to be seen. First things first, uninstall it, then do another full malwarebytes scan and post back.

R-109

I also need to add, PCS Tech Support just replied to me:

"Dear ...

Thanks for the detailed explanation into these problems. To be totally honest with the problems you are having I would also suggest a re-install of windows, this will knock out any possible software fault on there so if the issues continue afterwards It will indeed be a hardware fault and we will be able to either replace the problematic part or have the system brought back. Please attempt a re-install then come back to us with the results of this.

If we can assist you any further, please do not hesitate to contact us."

I'm going to go ahead and begin backing up files, but any help, advice or further insight into this problem would still be appreciated (such as what the cause of the problem might be, how it might be prevented in the future, if it perhaps hints at a hardware fault, etc.).

EDIT: Didn't see your post. Before backing up files, then, I'll uninstall SlimDrivers and scan with Malwarebytes, as you suggest.

R-109

For reference, I'm using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free) 2.0.4.1028.

After uninstalling SlimDrivers I performed a Threat Scan (a somewhat quick scan) and it found no viruses, malware, or problems of any sort. I'm running a Custom Scan (tends to be more in-depth) on my C drive right now to see if that picks up anything.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For reference, I'm using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free) 2.0.4.1028.

After uninstalling SlimDrivers I performed a Threat Scan (a somewhat quick scan) and it found no viruses, malware, or problems of any sort. I'm running a Custom Scan (tends to be more in-depth) on my C drive right now to see if that picks up anything.

Ok. Actually, it's probably going to be easiest to do as PCS suggest and do a full reinstall. Unfortunately those "driver finders" are a bit of a con and often install the wrong drivers causing a myriad of issues.

The way drivers work is that often with windows system updates, it'll change something the driver is reliant on so the driver becomes incompatible. Drivers are often updated until the hardware is considered unsupported when updates stop, but it's worth keeping them updated from the ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER's website only, never go to a third party source.

So before you wipe your PC and start reinstalling, can you list your full specs? Then we can find links to current drivers so you can download them and be prepped for the install. Then you can reinstall windows and all drivers and if the issue's still persistent, then as PCS say, it's more likely due to the main drive or motherboard.

R-109

Alright, here's my system's specs (let me know if I miss anything out):

Case
CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES™ 600T WHITE MID-TOWER CASE
Processor
Intel Core i7 Six Core Processor Extreme i7-4960X (3.6GHz) 15MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 LE: Intel Socket LG2011
Memory (RAM)
32GB Kingston Hyper-X Beast Dual-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (4x8GB KIT)
Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
1st Hard Disk
250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6GB/s (up to 520MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200 HDD, SATA (from previous PC)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x Dual Layer DVD Writer R/RW/RAM
Power Supply
Corsair 650W RM Series Modular 80 Plus Gold, Ultra Quiet
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Sound Card
Onboard 8 Channel (7.1) High Def. Audio (As Standard)
Wireless/Wired Networking
ASUS PCE-AC68 AC1900 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless PCI-E Adapter
USB Options
Min. 2x USB 3.0 & 6x USB 2.0 Ports @ Back Panel + Min. 2 Front Ports
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

As for the drivers, is there no easier way of keeping a check on whether the drivers need updating? 'Cause it's seeming like the best way to do it, reliably and safely, is to have a folder in my Bookmarks of each manufacturer's website and then periodically (every month or so) checking with them to see if there's an update.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As for the drivers, is there no easier way of keeping a check on whether the drivers need updating? 'Cause it's seeming like the best way to do it, reliably and safely, is to have a folder in my Bookmarks of each manufacturer's website and then periodically (every month or so) checking with them to see if there's an update.

Actually as of now, that is still the only reliable way to do them by checking manufacturers websites. Any of these driver finders are not being truthful with the end user, they have no way of monitoring the manufacturers and offering actual releases, they just hit and hope and most of the time get it wrong. Actually most of them tend to be malware and install other junk on the sly.

So for the new install and just to test, if we go to the following websites and download the following drivers:

Motherboard

1. Chipset

1.1: Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.3.2.1015 for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) (Second one down) The main drivers for the motherboard chipset, the chips that govern the main buses of the board off 2 "bridges" (north bridge and south bridge), north bridge controls PCI-Express lanes and memory lanes, south bridge controls all your USB, comms ports, LAN etc (think that's right???)

2. LAN

2.1 Realtek LAN Driver V7.67 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) (3rd one down) Tells windows how to interact with the actual LAN controller (ethernet network port). There's also an Intel driver which I'm unsure but may be for a secondary LAN port on a different controller.

3. USB

3.1 Asmedia USB3.0 Controller Driver V1.16.12.0 for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) (1st one) (USB 3.0 controller)

4. SATA

4.1 Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V12.8.0.1016 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) Controls the SATA ports and RAID controller for your hard drives and SSd's
Intel(R) AHCI/RAID Driver for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit. (1st one)

5. Audio

5.1 Realtek Audio Driver V5.10.0.7022 for Windows XP 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7023 for Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) (1st one)

Wireless

1. ASUS PCE-AC68 utility 2.0.8.8
Driver version Number: 6.30.223.228
Support OS: Win 8.1/ 8/ 7 / XP First one

GRAPHICS
1. NVidia 780ti

Samsung Restoration firmware tool for 840 Evo
1. Samsung 840 Evo

Last edited:

R-109

Okay, the drivers have been downloaded and I've bookmarked the websites. The link for the Samsung Restoration firmware tool is direct to the file. I'm trying to find a page to bookmark like the previous links but it's taking some time. Any chance you have a link to the page with the download link for that driver?

Also, if possible, could you share how you managed to determine which drivers I should download? I understand that you can go to the website of the manufacturer for certain hardware, but what's the process for determining which hardware will need drivers, and then which drivers I will need?

Basically, I would like to learn the process so that I can do it for myself in the future (for example, with a new PC) and teach others how to look after their drivers, too.

-----

Moving on from the drivers, now that I've downloaded them what are the next steps (aside from backing up files) to formatting my C drive and re-installing Windows?

(P.S. thank you for the help so far, it's much appreciated, especially since it's saving me valuable time)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay, the drivers have been downloaded and I've bookmarked the websites. The link for the Samsung Restoration firmware tool is direct to the file. I'm trying to find a page to bookmark like the previous links but it's taking some time. Any chance you have a link to the page with the download link for that driver?

Sure, it's http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/uk/html/pc/support.html

Also, if possible, could you share how you managed to determine which drivers I should download? I understand that you can go to the website of the manufacturer for certain hardware, but what's the process for determining which hardware will need drivers, and then which drivers I will need?

The motherboard is the main driver requirement. Those are the main ones to get you started, the rest, like IME may well be required but it should be enough to test with.

Basically, I would like to learn the process so that I can do it for myself in the future (for example, with a new PC) and teach others how to look after their drivers, too.

They're basically laid out with newest versions first as represented by the incremental version numbers. As to which ones are required, it's pretty much all the newest ones of the actual drivers (when it comes to things like the LAN, the first package contained all OS installations, whereas the 3rd one down was just for win 7 64bit). As to which ones you need, it will differ between manufacturers but you get to know which components control what. I've edited my previous post to describe what each one is for

-----

Moving on from the drivers, now that I've downloaded them what are the next steps (aside from backing up files) to formatting my C drive and re-installing Windows?

First, you need to get your Win 7 install DVD. You should have been provided one with the PC. You need to put that in your DVD drive and restart the PC, it should say "boot from DVD..." press any key to accept that and then it'll boot into the windows installation. If it doesn't give you the option and just loads into windows, you need reboot into the BIOS (usually keep tapping DEL as PC powers on until your in the bios), then there will be the boot order options, you need to set the DVD as the first boot device.

Once you're in to the windows installer, the first option is to specify a "custom install", this will then take you to specify where you want to install the OS and should show you the current partitions set on the drive (make sure it's the right drive, usually labelled drive 0 as the primary drive). Please note, if you specify the wrong drive it will wipe everything on there and you won't be able to retrieve it. Don't let that put you off, though, it's pretty straightforward.

When you've got the right disk you need to highlight each partition on that drive and delete it. Then there should be one block of unpartitioned space, just highlight it and create a new partition, then select that new partition and go next to start the installation. From there on it should be plain sailing, just follow on screen pointers. If you have any problems, post back

(P.S. thank you for the help so far, it's much appreciated, especially since it's saving me valuable time) No worries at all, it's a pleasure... I get a kick out of people accomplishing stuff like this for the first time, gets the juices flowing :)

R-109

I'm going to need some more help, unfortunately.

So yesterday evening I re-installed Windows, all's fine. However, I ran into problems when I tried to install the drivers.

1) After attempting to install the Chipset driver, I got an error after it restarted the PC:
"Error

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

Setup will exit."
I thought that maybe I ran the wrong setup from the wrong folder, so I ran the AsusSetup inside the Driver/Chipset folder. It immediately gave me the same error. I reattempted to install from the first AsusSetup (very first you see when opening driver's folder) and the error occurred again after restart. I gave up and tried the next driver.

2) I tried to install the LAN driver (Motherboard driver, not Wireless) and it seemed to install correctly except for an error of sorts: "Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver

The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable."
Otherwise, this seemed to install fine (checked Programs and Features and there it was). Next driver.

3) I tried to install the Asmedia USB driver and received an error:
"USB 3.0 Host Controller was not found" (summarised)
I've never heard of Asmedia before, however, and there was no such thing in my Programs and Features before reinstalling Windows. Next driver.

4) I tried to install the SATA driver (Motherboard again), first from the Driver folder (nothing happened) and then from the Install folder but got a "not supported" error. Next driver.

5) I installed the Motherboard Audio driver with success. Next driver.

6) I installed the Wireless driver with success. However, when I attempted to connect to the internet my PC Blue Screened (it was quick but I couldn't see the fault, looked generic) and then my PC restarted instantly (because I've yet to set the PC to not restart and store a minidump). The Blue Screen occurred again after the PC had restarted, whilst at the log in screen. Considering it happened when I tried to connect to the internet the first time (and set it to connect automatically) I'm thinking it was the same cause. So on this third restart, I booted from CD and re-installed Windows again since it didn't take too long the first time around.

-----

I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm either running the wrong setup from the wrong folder, or I need to run a certain setup first and the rest in a particular order, or some of the drivers might be the wrong kind (I doubt this though), or I need to install drivers from the supplied CDs. I have 4 CDs that came with my PC: One for the Motherboard, one for Graphics, one for the Wireless and one for the SSD (excluding the W7 CD, of course).

So. Any clues? Note that Tech Support did ask me to reply to them if I had more problems after re-installing Windows, but I'm hesitant to do so just yet since the problems I'm having are not the same as what I was experiencing before re-installing Windows.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
First off, pretty much everything is reliant on the chipset driver so that needs to be installed first.

It downloads a .zip file called MEI_Win7-8-8-1_VER95151730-X79.zip. That needs to be extracted first.

Within there there are 2 files:

ME_9.5.15.1730_for_Win81.md5 (this is just simply an md5 sum which tells you if you have downloaded a legitimate copy, don't need to do anything about this.

ME_9.5.15.1730_for_Win81.rar this is another archive that needs to be extracted again.

Then when ME_9.5.15.1730_for_Win81.rar is extracted, in there there's a setup.exe. That's the install folder. When you extract a folder it needs to be extracted into it's own folder before you can run the files within.

Same goes for all the others also, you need to extract them before you run them. Use 7zip from 7zip.org as it's free and can handle any archive package.

R-109

That might be my first problem, then. The folder that I downloaded for the Motherboard Chipset (the .zip which I extracted) is titled "Intel_Chipset_XPVistaWin7_8_8-1_VER9321015". This one:

1. Chipset

1.1: Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.3.2.1015 for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

Are you referring to another driver? Have I downloaded the wrong driver? I'm going to take a look at the link you provided for this Motherboard Chipset Driver again to make sure I haven't downloaded the wrong one. I know I have no file titled "MEI_Win7-8-8-1_VER95151730-X79.zip". Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

EDIT: A quick look shows that the first download link is the Intel Management Engine Interface. Have you mistakenly looked at that instead of this driver? Or was I supposed to get this driver in the first place?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That might be my first problem, then. The folder that I downloaded for the Motherboard Chipset (the .zip which I extracted) is titled "Intel_Chipset_XPVistaWin7_8_8-1_VER9321015". This one:

Are you referring to another driver? Have I downloaded the wrong driver? I'm going to take a look at the link you provided for this Motherboard Chipset Driver again to make sure I haven't downloaded the wrong one. I know I have no file titled "MEI_Win7-8-8-1_VER95151730-X79.zip". Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

EDIT: A quick look shows that the first download link is the Intel Management Engine Interface. Have you mistakenly looked at that instead of this driver? Or was I supposed to get this driver in the first place?

Aargh, sorry, my bad, you're right, I downloaded the IME package by mistake, apologies. Ignore my previous post. Am just downloading the correct one and will post back.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yep, got the right one now. So first question is did you extract the archives before installing? You'll need to do this for each one. And yes, you're right, it's the AsusSetup.exe file that's the installer.

R-109

I've extracted each .zip for each driver already (and did so in my previous attempt of installing). I'll try the installation again, but I'm wondering: does it matter *where* the folder is when trying to install? The .zip and its extracted folder(s) are on my second Hard Drive (my HDD) since I was wiping the C Drive. Do I, perhaps, need to move the folders onto my C Drive before installing, or something?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've extracted each .zip for each driver already (and did so in my previous attempt of installing). I'll try the installation again, but I'm wondering: does it matter *where* the folder is when trying to install? The .zip and its extracted folder(s) are on my second Hard Drive (my HDD) since I was wiping the C Drive. Do I, perhaps, need to move the folders onto my C Drive before installing, or something?

Shouldn't matter. The other thing to try is to right click on the AsusSetup.exe file and click "run as administrator" for each installer, perhaps it needs elevated privileges for the install.

R-109

Tried it, same error. I'm going to try what you suggest next. Would it matter *how* I extract the folders? for example, I used "Extract to [folder name]" so the directory looks a bit like "Intel.../Intel.../AsusSetup.exe". Would that maybe cause a problem?

EDIT: Tried to run as admin, same error occurred. Not sure what to do now :/

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Tried it, same error. I'm going to try what you suggest next. Would it matter *how* I extract the folders? for example, I used "Extract to [folder name]" so the directory looks a bit like "Intel.../Intel.../AsusSetup.exe". Would that maybe cause a problem?

EDIT: Tried to run as admin, same error occurred. Not sure what to do now :/

I'm confused. Are you sure you downloaded for the right OS?

R-109

Pretty sure, but I can download again to be certain. I've got Windows 7 Professional which is 64 bit only and not only that, but the file itself is supposed to be for both 32bit and 64bit on Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 if the title on the page is to be believed:
"Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.3.2.1015 for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)"

I could always try to use the provided CD for the Motherboard instead, but I'm not quite sure if that'll work if this isn't.

R-109

Sorry for the double post, but the problem could be that the Motherboard Specification I provided is wrong. This might be at fault of PCS because they might have the wrong Motherboard on my Invoice. I'm going to check again to see if I can confirm the spec of my Motherboard. I've discovered this because the manual I have for my Motherboard is for the ASUS Z97-AR not the ASUS P9X79 LE. Sorry again, I'm looking into it.