Windows 10

lousmaczylo

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

Reading the press on tinternet, I understand that it will be released in late July. I believe that it will be free to upgrade from windows 7 or 8 foe a year.

Does this mean that they will want money after upgrading in a years time or that after a year from its release they will charge to upgrade.

Regards

Lou

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi

Reading the press on tinternet, I understand that it will be released in late July. I believe that it will be free to upgrade from windows 7 or 8 foe a year.

Does this mean that they will want money after upgrading in a years time or that after a year from its release they will charge to upgrade.

Regards

Lou

No one really knows at this point, but Microsoft have been pushing the idea of windows as a service rather than a buy once OS, so it's possible that it will change to a subscription service much like office 365.

At this point though, no one knows as Microsoft haven't said anything. I think the reason they're making windows 10 free for the first year is to get people off XP (as there are still a lot on there), as windows 8 didn't have the adoption rate that they'd hoped.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
No it means that anyone upgrading 12 months after its release will be charged. If you upgrade during those 12 months you will not have to pay, providing you already have a copy of Windows 7 or 8.

lousmaczylo

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the quick reply, its just my fear that they are definitely going down the subscription route like adobe cc. Can any one point me to a reference that they do mean that it will be totally free to up grade?

Incidentally, they also state that this will be the final windows version? Wow!

Kind Regards

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
You can find them stating that it is a 12 month period for people to upgrade for free. They are planning on offering services like Office, Skype etc to make their money.

And by final Windows version it means there won't be another copy of windows that is sold on shelves. Chrome is a very good example of how they will do it. Rather than releasing a whole new version they will just release an update for it which may be bug fixes and sometimes it will have some new features but features will be added more frequently but not as many at a time. I don't think it will be the last ever version though. Eventually the core they are using, which is almost the same as that used in XP still, will become outdated and it just won't make sense to make it compatible with new technologies. But I think they could stretch it out for 10 years without too many issues.

lousmaczylo

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

Thanks for that,

I did try the pre release version of windows 10, I downloaded it from Microsoft. I found it very buggy and unpredictable, however i'm running a lenovo r400 worth .38p in a junk shop.

So I i'm looking forward to my new laptop. Having said that the laptop I'm using will just about run Photoshop cs6 extended; so congratulations to Lenovo.

Regards

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It's a developer preview. It's not meant to be used for everyday use but is meant for devs to get a head start on development.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That announcement ends with this paragraph:

While Microsoft is announcing that there will be upgrade paths through Windows Update, the post does not indicate if there will be a free upgrade path that allows for clean installs of Windows 10 on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices.

I'd advise anyone considering upgrading to Windows 10 to plan to be able to do a clean reinstall at some point after the upgrade. My plan will be as follows:

1. Take a disk image of my system drive so that I have a way to go back to where I am now.

2. Perform a clean install of Windows 8.1 and all the relevant drivers. (Actually I already have a disk image taken immediately after a clean install of Windows 8.1 and the drivers, so I'll simply restore that).

3. Perform the upgrade to Windows 10 (without installing any other software first).

4. Take a disk image of the upgraded (and clean) Windows 10 system. (Restoring this image will be as close to a clean reinstall of Windows 10 as you'll get unless and until Microsoft provide installation media - probably in the form of an .iso file).

5. Install all my other third-party software etc. to get my Windows 10 system running with the same software as my previous Windows 8.1 system.

6. Take a disk image of the fully installed Windows 10 system (before messing with it) to avoid having to do all this again!

Whilst this looks like a fair bit of work and it will certainly take most of a day to do, it will give you a reliable way of performing a clean reinstall of Windows 10 after the first year unless and until Microsoft provide Windows 10 installation media for those taking the free upgrade path. I strongly recommend that people consider this process, or something similar, because at some stage you are almost certain to want to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and if they don't give us installation media, after the first year there will be no way to reinstall Windows 10 for free.

Ubuysa's rule #4: You always pack your own parachute. (That means you always ensure that you give yourself a safe way out!)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That announcement ends with this paragraph:

I'd advise anyone considering upgrading to Windows 10 to plan to be able to do a clean reinstall at some point after the upgrade. My plan will be as follows:

1. Take a disk image of my system drive so that I have a way to go back to where I am now.

2. Perform a clean install of Windows 8.1 and all the relevant drivers. (Actually I already have a disk image taken immediately after a clean install of Windows 8.1 and the drivers, so I'll simply restore that).

3. Perform the upgrade to Windows 10 (without installing any other software first).

4. Take a disk image of the upgraded (and clean) Windows 10 system. (Restoring this image will be as close to a clean reinstall of Windows 10 as you'll get unless and until Microsoft provide installation media - probably in the form of an .iso file).

5. Install all my other third-party software etc. to get my Windows 10 system running with the same software as my previous Windows 8.1 system.

6. Take a disk image of the fully installed Windows 10 system (before messing with it) to avoid having to do all this again!

Whilst this looks like a fair bit of work and it will certainly take most of a day to do, it will give you a reliable way of performing a clean reinstall of Windows 10 after the first year unless and until Microsoft provide Windows 10 installation media for those taking the free upgrade path. I strongly recommend that people consider this process, or something similar, because at some stage you are almost certain to want to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and if they don't give us installation media, after the first year there will be no way to reinstall Windows 10 for free.

Ubuysa's rule #4: You always pack your own parachute. (That means you always ensure that you give yourself a safe way out!)

Your PC will likely be tied to a database and your Microsoft account. If the PC flags up having already got a copy, then I can't imagine they wouldn't let you reinstall for free. You would most likely use your Win7/8 code when reinstalling Win10.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Your PC will likely be tied to a database and your Microsoft account. If the PC flags up having already got a copy, then I can't imagine they wouldn't let you reinstall for free. You would most likely use your Win7/8 code when reinstalling Win10.

I agree, but without a Windows 10 install media you'll have to first install your original Windows 7/8/8.1 system and the go through the upgrade. After the 12 months is up it's likely you won;t be able to upgrade for free any more. I don;t see how they'd be able to make exceptions after the 12 months for people who had already installed earlier and were now reinstalling.

In any case, as I said, you pack your own parachute!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I agree, but without a Windows 10 install media you'll have to first install your original Windows 7/8/8.1 system and the go through the upgrade. After the 12 months is up it's likely you won;t be able to upgrade for free any more. I don;t see how they'd be able to make exceptions after the 12 months for people who had already installed earlier and were now reinstalling.

In any case, as I said, you pack your own parachute!

You will be able to retrieve the install file for Windows 10 and put it on a memory stick. The img/iso file may be a unique file and tied to an account by default (so no code required) or you just input your win7/8 code when installing Windows 10. When someone updates their machine, the code will likely go into their database as a Windows 10 code and may not even work on Windows 7/8 anymore.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You will be able to retrieve the install file for Windows 10 and put it on a memory stick. The img/iso file may be a unique file and tied to an account by default (so no code required) or you just input your win7/8 code when installing Windows 10. When someone updates their machine, the code will likely go into their database as a Windows 10 code and may not even work on Windows 7/8 anymore.

What install file? Windows 10 is to be shipped via Windows update. The article referenced above (which I quoted from) said that "the post does not indicate if there will be a free upgrade path that allows for clean installs of Windows 10 on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices".

ANd that's the problem I'm highlighting. If (free) Windows 10 is only available as a Windows update upgrade for 12 months and there turns out to be no install file (no .iso for example) then performing a clean install after the free 12 months will be impossible.

I don't believe in leaving things to chance, so I most certainly will be packing my own parachute. :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Your key will be updated in their database to be a Win10 key. You will be able to download a Windows installer from the MS/Windows site and use your current key to re-activate.

I know Microsoft aren't the best company in the world but I seriously can't see them being so evil as to do that.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Your key will be updated in their database to be a Win10 key. You will be able to download a Windows installer from the MS/Windows site and use your current key to re-activate.

I know Microsoft aren't the best company in the world but I seriously can't see them being so evil as to do that.

Have you seen any documentation to that effect? I agree that this would make sense but this might be the catch with the free upgrade - it's only available via Windows Update and only for a year....

Pagey

Bright Spark
Actually, I've experienced a situation that actually verifies it:

Essentially the mobo in my Optimus IV broke ages ago and ended up having it replaced, first thing I did when I got it back was re-install Windows. But shock horror, I couldn't use my key!

A quick call to Microsoft later and they'd gone through a procedure to allow me to use my old key on the new mobo.

Essentially; The key is tied to the motherboard, doesn't matter how many times you re-install or when, you'll always be able to use that same key. But you change that mobo and you'll have to purchase a new key. So if you take advantage of the "free Windows 10" offer in the first year, then it's yours for the life of the computer/mobo. If you install fresh from the ISO you'll probably be able to download from Microsoft themselves, then you'll still be able to use the key, in Microsoft's servers your key will be shown as registered to your PC, I think Wozza pretty much hit that one on the head.

Essentially this is just an OEM offer, I'm very much under the impression that if you have a non-OEM version of Windows and make use of the offer, then it'll essentially turn your non-OEM key into an OEM one. Imagine Microsoft's losses if they key a like key for like keys?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Actually, I've experienced a situation that actually verifies it:

Essentially the mobo in my Optimus IV broke ages ago and ended up having it replaced, first thing I did when I got it back was re-install Windows. But shock horror, I couldn't use my key!

A quick call to Microsoft later and they'd gone through a procedure to allow me to use my old key on the new mobo.

Essentially; The key is tied to the motherboard, doesn't matter how many times you re-install or when, you'll always be able to use that same key. But you change that mobo and you'll have to purchase a new key. So if you take advantage of the "free Windows 10" offer in the first year, then it's yours for the life of the computer/mobo. If you install fresh from the ISO you'll probably be able to download from Microsoft themselves, then you'll still be able to use the key, in Microsoft's servers your key will be shown as registered to your PC, I think Wozza pretty much hit that one on the head.

Essentially this is just an OEM offer, I'm very much under the impression that if you have a non-OEM version of Windows and make use of the offer, then it'll essentially turn your non-OEM key into an OEM one. Imagine Microsoft's losses if they key a like key for like keys?

Thanks Pagey, that is well understood. The issue is how you will be able to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 if they don't make installation media available to those taking up the free upgrade offer. I accept that Windows will know it's licensed on a given device, the problem is that without physical installation media, after the 12 months has expired there will be no way to reinstall it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Thanks Pagey, that is well understood. The issue is how you will be able to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 if they don't make installation media available to those taking up the free upgrade offer. I accept that Windows will know it's licensed on a given device, the problem is that without physical installation media, after the 12 months has expired there will be no way to reinstall it.

Pretty sure you can already download a Windows 8 ISO from Microsoft if you have lost your disc. You just need to contact them. I think they did it for me on a Windows 7 machine as well. Just put that onto a memory stick or a blank disc and you're good to go!