Clevo Optimus IV Laptop - GTX 660m - Instant BSOD Over 75c

Nemecys

Hey,

So recently I have been having a plethora of BSOD's all claiming NVlddmkm.sys is causing the issue,
I was speaking to someone who was reading my BSOD's which were corrupt from the get go and he says its GPU and Chipset related.

I am also aware that whenever I try and install drivers from fresh the Laptop fails to attain the correct PCI drivers so i have to use programs like DRP.SU to get them.

This combination of outdated unsupported drivers must be causing my GPU problems.

Originally I thought the GPU was damaged, but I can run games with TThrottle active and as long as it doesnt go too far over 70c it works fine.
HOWEVER

The throttling is so strong the FPS drops to near 0 making the experience unplayable.
(While writing this post the Laptop BSOD'd using the throttle so the problem must go a little deeper)

So,
does anyone have the same laptop as me?
If so do you have similar issues?
Do you have the PCI drivers?

To everyone else, what on earth is going on with my GPU to be causing such problems?!?

Its a well looked after HARDLY used laptop,
Do i have a new paperweight on my hands or can this be rectified.

Below is the spec of the laptop and a link to my other forum posts containing more info and BSOD reports.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-hel...660m-nvlddmkm-sys-windows-7-clevo-laptop.html

Please anyone help.

Thanks,

Code:
Chassis & Display	Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)	Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)	8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card	NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card	NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk	750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st Hard Disk Partitions	350GB, 400GB
2nd Hard Disk	NONE
RAID	NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive	8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader	Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste	ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card	Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities	GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
Change to: GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options	3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery	Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor	1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System	NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software	NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus	NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Laptop Cooling Stands	NONE
Carry Case	NONE
Monitor	NONE
Keyboard & Mouse	INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse	INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Speakers	NONE
Webcam	INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets	NONE
Surge Protection	NONE
Printer	NONE
External Hard Drive	NONE
Warranty	3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Change to: 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Home Installation	NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee	NONE
Change to: 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
Insurance	1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Data Recovery	NONE
Delivery	STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time	Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days

RType23

Bronze Level Poster
No idea at the moment, but that looks like your build info, not a BSOD code. What OS are you on? It doesn't state an OS so presume its a self install, and where are you sourcing the drivers from?

I'm curious as my Octane shows up tomorrow and I'm self OS loading too and I can't get the 600+mb drivers off the PCS website.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have the same laptop, so does Pagey (another frequent poster on here). I have never experienced the problems you describe and I know that Pagey hasn't either. We are both now running Windows 10 but I was running Windows 7 and then Windows 8, then 8.1 on the laptop before that with no issues at all.

I note that you installed your own OS, as did I. I also see that you're using third party tools to find drivers and that's always a bad idea. So I suggest you download all the latest drivers from the Clevo website at http://clevo.com/clevo_down.asp?lang=en, your model number is W35xET/W37xET. They have Windows 7/8 and 8.1 drivers available there. If you run Windows 10 then you should logon to your account at the main PCS website and click on the Downloads link in the Tech Support section. There you will find and BIOS updates and Windows 10 drivers for your build.

I strongly recommend that the ONLY places you source drivers for your Optimus IV is either PCS or Clevo, do not use drivers from anywhere else. Except for the NVIDIA driver of course, once you are sure it's all working with the Clevo/PCS drivers you can upgrade to the latest NVIDIA driver (downloaded only from the NVIDIA website though) if you need to.

Your best bet now, since the state of your laptop is probably unknown, is to perform a clean reinstall of whichever version of Windows you use and then install all of the Clevo/PCS downloaded drivers. If you have problems then it's most likely a hardware issue and you should call PCS. My bet is that you have a bunch of wrong or outdated drivers installed, courtesy of your third party driver tools probably.

Last edited:

Pagey

Bright Spark
I fully agree with ubuysa.

I have run W8/8.1 and W10 issue free, I cannot say or even guarantee what other OS's will even work. The biggest problem with that is a lot of stuff is untested.

The Intel Chipset Drivers from the Clevo website or even the ones in your download section will cause all the Intel related hardware to run correctly, including your PCI hardware.

Nemecys

The BSOD Codes are on the other Website, that was just a copy of my Spec.
The Drivers are ALWAYS sourced from Clevo or PCS themselves,
There are NO windows 10 Drivers for this Laptop at all.

I'm on Windows 7

mYtcvPG.png

I have done a Memtest,
Its a 2012 Purchase and I don't know where the box and CD are, plus they would horrendously outdated.

I have the correct GPU Drivers, and I have tried almost every driver on the Nvidia Website

@ubuysa
I only use Third party tools to fill in the gaps left by Clevos poor driver solution,
No matter how many fresh installs of windows I have they never provide anything related to the Realtek PCI drivers,
There are no Drivers for windows 10, as noted by the above image.

I have perfomed about 3 separate clean installs over the last 2 weeks. Each one always ends up with Nvlddmkm.sys BSOD's
However If i downclock the card I can get results, but once the card hits 70-75 degrees either the HDD locks up, the BSOD appears, or the PC just Powers down instantly, Otherwise if I play a game on LOWEST 720P and keep the temps at 60-70 I can play for a while, This is the only pattern I have noticed in the error.

I have tried to contact PCS via email but its taking far too long to get a response of any kind.
No matter what drivers or how fresh the install it always crashes, I even install the drivers offline before doing windows updates and the thing still crashes.

@Pagey
How can you all be running Windows 10 when there are no drivers?!
Am i missing something?

The Intel Chipset drivers do not provide PCI drivers either.

@Gr4
I have tried that technique before Gr4 but I will try it again.

Would anyone running my EXACT build care to send me a link to whatever drivers they want to use, and I will again format windows and use those drivers.

Thank you for all your posts hopefully you can help me resolve this issue.