Sort out my MBR

UndeadJack

Master Poster
Right, I installed Ubuntu to my dismay the first day I got my computer and it didn't go well, I forgot to partition my HDD and it installed on my primary partition. Now I deleted the 30GB file I allocated for it, but now Ubuntu is still in the MBR. My C:/ Drive looks like this;

azhw6o.png

Is it dangerous to delete those MBR files?

(oh and yes, I am listening to Ed).

Last edited:

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
No just dangerous - fatal!!! What to do now? If it were me, I'd start from scratch. Re-install Windows first, then use the Ubuntu liveCD to partition and then install Ubuntu using the defaults on the non-Windows part of the disk. This will give you a proper dual-boot. From your screen shot, I imagine you used Wubi to 'install' Ubuntu above Windows. This works, but is far from ideal. You can stick with it if you want, but beware of deleting files. Why would you want to do that anyhow?

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
Oh, I should have said NEVER boot Windows first before using the liveCD. Boot FROM the liveCD and you will get native Ubuntu rather than what you have done. What you now have is Windows plus some useless bits of the Ubuntu Wubi installation. You can't use it because you deleted the pseudo filesystem that you let it create.

UndeadJack

Master Poster
No just dangerous - fatal!!! What to do now? If it were me, I'd start from scratch. Re-install Windows first, then use the Ubuntu liveCD to partition and then install Ubuntu using the defaults on the non-Windows part of the disk. This will give you a proper dual-boot. From your screen shot, I imagine you used Wubi to 'install' Ubuntu above Windows. This works, but is far from ideal. You can stick with it if you want, but beware of deleting files. Why would you want to do that anyhow?

tbh i think i will just live with it. I don't want to reinstall my WotLK install and my Cataclysm 4.3 - NO WAY for the moment. Will fix it in the future tho. Cheers for you help. It doesn't really bother me having the ubuntu option it is just a bit annoying :/

+REP