Adding case fans...HELP!!!

kaptainkillyou

Bronze Level Poster
Just a quick one :stupid:

I will have the Coolermaster Storm Trooper case which already has 2x 120mm, 140mm and 200mm fans but supports the use of several more.
The motherboard will be the Asus P8Z77 V which has 3 + (1 optional) fan connectors excluding the CPU connector.

So my question is, if I intend to add say 2 more 120mm fans on the side of the case for good measure what on earth do they go into?!

I know that they can be plugged directly into the PSU but does that then stop them from being controlled?
Asus P8Z77 V-Pro has 4 + (1 optional) connectors even this has 1 less than I would require

I'm terribly confused so please if anyone can help I would certainly appreciate it!

Thank You

MadMan

Super Star
A fan controller would be the ideal solution, otherwise if you dont mind the noise you could plug them into the psu and have them run at 100%.

kaptainkillyou

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks guys, I kinda want to avoid a separate fan controller as the case has one built in. A fan splitter sounds good though!
Would fan splitters allow the fans to be controllable through the BIOS?

Corfate

Author Level
Agree with others, fan controllers the way. I got my new Scythe Kaze Master Pro. Seems to be well built, and looks nice too.
Not the best quality image, but shoes the jist of it. (no fans plugged into fan channel 4,5 and 6)
IMG_1801.JPG

kaptainkillyou

Bronze Level Poster
Hmm OK. Do you know if the fan controller built into the case could be used for this as if I add one surely it would make the on board controller invalid?!

Corfate

Author Level
Hmm OK. Do you know if the fan controller built into the case could be used for this as if I add one surely it would make the on board controller invalid?!

You could use that one. If you go for a different controller, just plug the fans into that rather than the onboard/case fan controller :)

kaptainkillyou

Bronze Level Poster
I think I will get the next mobo up with the extra fan connector just in case and wait to see if the built in controller can handle any more. If not I will defo follow your advice guys and get a separate fan controller.

Corfate that looks wicked, does it control any lights on the fans too?

Cheers for all your help everyone

Corfate

Author Level
I think I will get the next mobo up with the extra fan connector just in case and wait to see if the built in controller can handle any more. If not I will defo follow your advice guys and get a separate fan controller.

Corfate that looks wicked, does it control any lights on the fans too?

Cheers for all your help everyone

No, it doesn't unfortunately. It does allow you to actually turn off the fan though.

kaptainkillyou

Bronze Level Poster
come to think of it when you have a fan controller im guessing the fans plug into that right? so will those fan connectors be free on my mobo anyway? what does the controller connect to?

this is soo confusing, I havent had a pc since i was 17 and I'm 25 now!

MadMan

Super Star
A fan controller is powered by the power supply so it has to be connected to that. Then each fan on your pc will be connected to one the connectors on the fan controller. So for instance you connect one fan to a connector on the fan controller that has label 1 on it then to control that fan you slide/rotate the button on the front that is labelled 1. You do these for all the fans you have.

Corfate

Author Level
Madman is right.

On this one, the fan cable is connected to the fan cable on the fan controller. The fan controller has a molex connected to the PSU to get it's power from :) Slight pain the amount of cables put into the pc though.

kaptainkillyou

Bronze Level Poster
You guys are brilliant! I can see it now, the Controller goes to the PSU, fans go to the controller therefore leaving my motherboard connectors free so I can add more fans.
Hmm but thats fans directly to the motherboard, so will they be controlled via the BIOS like automatically? Or would I need another controller for like two extra fans seeing as the four that comewith the case are already hooked up to the stock controller. Lol I feel so dumb. I know if I had it here I would be able to make sense of it but I cant order it for another two weeks! A slow two weeks!!!

MadMan

Super Star
You guys are brilliant! I can see it now, the Controller goes to the PSU, fans go to the controller therefore leaving my motherboard connectors free so I can add more fans.
Hmm but thats fans directly to the motherboard, so will they be controlled via the BIOS like automatically? Or would I need another controller for like two extra fans seeing as the four that comewith the case are already hooked up to the stock controller. Lol I feel so dumb. I know if I had it here I would be able to make sense of it but I cant order it for another two weeks! A slow two weeks!!!

no worries, yeah if you go to the BIOS and select advanced, you can adjust the fan speeds of the fans that are connected to the motherboard. You can enter it in manually so for example if the pc reaches 50c then fan speed should be 60% or you can select the pre set ones so silent, normal, turbo etc

Corfate

Author Level
no worries, yeah if you go to the BIOS and select advanced, you can adjust the fan speeds of the fans that are connected to the motherboard. You can enter it in manually so for example if the pc reaches 50c then fan speed should be 60% or you can select the pre set ones so silent, normal, turbo etc

I've looked around in my BIOS for that option, but never found it unfortunately. I must have missed it somewhere :)

MadMan

Super Star
I've looked around in my BIOS for that option, but never found it unfortunately. I must have missed it somewhere :)

Thats strange. I use an Asus motherboard and it wasnt hard to go into the fan options. Although it was a few months since i last went on there, but I definitely remember clicking advanced and under one of the tabs to access it.

Corfate

Author Level
You guys are stars, I will do a thread with some pics etc in the show of topic when I get it soon. Thanks once again

Glad to help :)

@Madman (After 2451 posts, i still don't know how to multi-quote.. haha) i remember going in the fan settings, but couldn't find anything other than the CPU fans. Oh well, got all of them on the fan controller now (par the CPU ones) :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster

@Madman (After 2451 posts, i still don't know how to multi-quote.. haha) i remember going in the fan settings, but couldn't find anything other than the CPU fans. Oh well, got all of them on the fan controller now (par the CPU ones) :)

after 5414 posts i dont know how to multi-quote

MadMan

Super Star

lol, you press the button to the right of reply with quote and then a tick should appear. You do this for all the comments you want to quote and then you press reply with quote on one of the ticked ones.

You guys are stars, I will do a thread with some pics etc in the show of topic when I get it soon. Thanks once again

No problem :)