Import duty

Corfate

Author Level
Helloh,

Does anybody know how much import tax/duty would be on something that costs $20? (It's only a CD and a sticker, lol)

Im not sure where to look etc, been lumped with a £65 import duty not so long ago, nearly made me cry :(

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
There is a number you can ring and they will tell you whether you will be charged an import fee or not, obviously you will have to pay standard 20% VAT but some items obviously carry extra charges, I got my tablet abroad as it wasn't available in the UK at the time and I wasn't charged any import fees

Corfate

Author Level
Rakk sent me this duty calculator thing, and apprently anything under £15 isn't charged. Im unsure about handling charges though.. the postage is $9 already..

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Rakk sent me this duty calculator thing, and apprently anything under £15 isn't charged. Im unsure about handling charges though.. the postage is $9 already..

Well this was a £300 tablet and I didnt get charged for it, and the woman on the phone said I shouldn't get charged for it at all (other than VAT)

You are best off phoning customs, as its different for every type of product

Can't you get this CD in the UK?

Rakk

The Awesome
Yeah, the link I sent him actually asked what type of product it is, and a bunch of other questions as well. Though it is not an official UK customs one by the looks of things.

Corfate

Author Level
Well this was a £300 tablet and I didnt get charged for it, and the woman on the phone said I shouldn't get charged for it at all (other than VAT)

Can't you get this CD in the UK?

Nope, nowhere sells it, bah.

I'll just order it and risk it hahaha

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeah, the link I sent him actually asked what type of product it is, and a bunch of other questions as well. Though it is not an official UK customs one by the looks of things.

Ok thats fair enough then

and corfate, what about download? Legally of course

Kalisnoir

Super Star
I got charged £60~ for a £150~ watch from Japan last year (nothing else to say on the matter, just wanted to join in!)

Corfate

Author Level
Ok thats fair enough then

and corfate, what about download? Legally of course

Only download it from the US Itunes, and i want the physical disk to play in my car (better quality than my fm transmitter) . Also, it's not out illegally yet, no that i'd download it like that anyway...

Keedar

Expert
People good advice :) If You buying somthing from US,Japan,China etc.Try to speak with seller.They can mark your parcel as a gift and you dont have to pay tax.I am always buying cloths from US or Taiwan (shoes like jordans) and i paid ones.50 euro but my parcel was worth over 300 euro.