Blue screen of death

jonny123

Bright Spark
Just a quick question my pc has started to get the bsod (Twice in just today and ive lost some it coursework because of it :S ) so i was just wondering if anyone knows any fixes? (Ive not installed anything new or anything)
(Btw its not a pcs machine if that helps)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
what does the bsod say,If the PC restarts too quick for you to read the bsod,disable automatic restart.to do this type SYSDM.CPL in the Start Search box.
Click the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery"
Uncheck the option Automatically Restart.

Last edited:

jonny123

Bright Spark
Well its happend in the space of around 2 hours (Twice ) so im not sure when the next one will be but ill let you know when it happens next and ill try get a note of what it says.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Aright thanks ive done that,Im guessing all it does it stop it restarting when the bsod happens but i can then shut it down properly after ive read the bsod ?

jonny123

Bright Spark
Ok thanks ill post back on here when it happens next/what the message is,Hope it happens again soon and i can get it fixed as ive got 1 I.T essay ive got to re-edit and another I.T essay ive got to write up but can do it with my computer like this xD.

jonny123

Bright Spark
It hasent happend again yet but my pc has just turned off twice with no warning screen/bsod or anything,Just turned straight off :S

tom_gr7

Life Serving
run a virus scan just to make sure its nothing as simple as that,

also what was you doing before it shut down?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
It hasent happend again yet but my pc has just turned off twice with no warning screen/bsod or anything,Just turned straight off :S
Could be an overheating problem,but worth having a look in event viewer,It's normal to have a lot of warnings & errors so best look at the event viewer immediately after the problem occurs,then check if anything is logged for that particular time.
Go to control panel(All control panel items)/performance information and tools/click advanced tools on the left hand side/view performance details in event log.
this will take you to diagnostics-performance & boot /shut down events,It may or may not give a clue to the problem,but worth a try.
If nothing obvious showing there,at the top of the tree on the left hand side,click on custom views/administrative events.
You might get more information that points to something by selecting details/Friendly & XML view,in the event viewer.you could also try selecting "event log online"at the bottom of the page.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Its not a virus ive just checked,I was on word doing a I.T essay before it shut down the first time,The other time was just after i re booted the pc and then the second two were this morning when i was just looking on this website and emails.It hasent happend again while just genarraly using the internet today but i bet if i were to do some work it would crash,Going to try in a bit and hopefully it wont happen again but if it does ill get the message/problem and post on here to see if anyone can help.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Will the event viewer show a problem if its just been shut off because of a problem? Ill check anyway though if it happens and is there anything i could do to check the overheating problem? i thought it could be something to do with the psu (Although im not too good with computers so could be wrong) but the last twice it turned off it turned off just as it would if you would disconnect the power supply (The power supply was still plugged in securely though )