PC having problems.

Halfabrain

Hello, I bought this PC over a year ago but lately its started to have some problems and I'm not entirely sure what it could be so I thought I would try to ask on here.

About a week ago my computer just suddenly froze and then to blue screen came on and the computer restarted and everything seemed to be okay afterwards then it happened again a couple of days later but I only managed to remember 2 of the error codes because it closed itself so here they are:

BC Code: 101
BCP1 0000000000000031

There were more BCP codes but I didn't manage to record them.

Anyway my computer now doesn't blue screen sometimes it might just freeze and then I'm unable to do anything other than switch it off via the power button. Other times such as when I open a program or a game and then leave it standing afterwards it will freeze and everything will close and reopen like nothing has happened but then the mouse lags behind and sometimes say the mouse changes to the pointer that is used to resize windows etc. when i move it from there it will stay as that and no go to the original mouse pointer.

I don't know what the problem could be any ideas?

If you need any more information please reply thankyou.

Last edited:

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Firstly I'd lean towards a driver issue, check all of our drivers are up to date. If there are any updates for your drivers then make sure to perform clean installs and remove all traces of previous drivers. Secondly, take a look inside and see how much dust has gathered inside the rig, and check your temperatures as I wouldn't be surprised if they were quite high.

EDIT: What are your full system specs?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I certainly agree with Boozad's advice, BSODs are often caused by driver problems.

You say this started a week ago, so what changed at that time? Did you install any Windows updates, driver updates, new software, new hardware etc.? It's most likely that whatever happened about a week ago is the problem. If you can track down what changed you'll probably have solved the problem.

Halfabrain

Hey my specs are:

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-760 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost
Motherboard
ASUS® P7P55 LX: USB 2.0 & SATA 3.0Gb/s, CrossFireX™ SUPPORT
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£76)
Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET LGA1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

I also downloaded a driver sweeper and this should have removed out of date drivers but the problem still continues I think I will try again if theres no other suggestions.
I downloaded the new nvidia driver when this started happening.
I cleaned the inside recently as I thought that could be the problem.
Is there a way to check temperature with a program?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey my specs are:

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-760 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost
Motherboard
ASUS® P7P55 LX: USB 2.0 & SATA 3.0Gb/s, CrossFireX™ SUPPORT
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£76)
Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET LGA1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

I also downloaded a driver sweeper and this should have removed out of date drivers but the problem still continues I think I will try again if theres no other suggestions.
I downloaded the new nvidia driver when this started happening.
I cleaned the inside recently as I thought that could be the problem.
Is there a way to check temperature with a program?

I'm not a huge fan of Driver Sweeper and BSODs are very often driver related. Did you mean the problems started "after you installed a new NVIDIA driver"? That could well be your problem right there. And if you cleaned the inside (which is a good thing to do) just make sure you haven't dislodged anything (RAM cards for instance) or any plugs or cables.

If it were mine I'd be concerned that Driver Sweeper may have removed stuff it shouldn't and/or the new NVIDIA driver didn't install properly, in short I suspect your drivers may be a bit screwed up now. So, unpleasant as it sounds, I think I'd be tempted to back everything up and do a clean re-install of Windows and all the drivers supplied by PCS. Run with it like that for a few days (a week, say) and if it's ok then back it up again and then update the drivers that have updates available. Do one driver at at time and reboot after each update (just to be on the safe side).

Halfabrain

Yes it did begin happening AFTER I installed the new nvidia driver so I read around and some other sites which suggested that it could be my drivers and they recommended to use driver sweeper, so I ran that and then reinstalled the nvidia driver but it didn't appear to work all thats happened is that it doesn't BSOD anymore my computer will just freeze up instead.

I've installed the temperature checker if I leave my computer on for another hour I will repost the temperatures then maybe you could see if anything appears to be abnormal.

If the problem continues (as its not happened for a day now) I will system restore my computer but if this does work how will I be able to reinstall the new nvidia driver if that appears to be the problem? Is there a better program or is there a way I could do it manually knowing what I'm actually removing.
IF all else fails I'll have to backup my computer I guess and hopefully that will solve it!

Thanks for the help so far!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
With Nvidia drivers,there should be an option to do a clean install,which uninstalls the old driver.
When installing the driver make sure you go to advanced options and choose clean install.

Last edited:

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Download whatever driver you want to use to your desktop. Next, go to Windows update and set it to 'check for updates but let me decide what to install' that will keep windows from automatically installing it's video driver. Next go to C:/Nvidia, open the folder and you should see a folder named Display driver. Inside that folder you should see a folder for every driver you have ever installed. They will be names 320.49 and such. Delete every one of those folders, but do not delete the display driver folder, just the ones inside. Next go to control panel > uninstall programs. Uninstall all of the Nvidia display programs, but this is important, uninstall the display driver last. Uninstall the Nvidia update, Phys X, 3D drivers (few people use them), Nvidia HDMI, and the Nvidia update (it does not work anyway). Last uninstall the display driver. You will be told to reboot, do so. When you log back on, windows will install a display adaptor, that is OK. Open your driver that you have downloaded from Nvidia, agree to terms, do not select express install, select custom install. Make sure the 'clean install' check box is selected and uncheck everything except the display driver and PhysX, then install. You will have to reboot after that. That will be the cleanest install you can get, and you will not have the HDMI driver to conflict with the Realtek drivers, but should have all the drivers you need. You can then set windows update back to whatever you like.

Halfabrain

Download whatever driver you want to use to your desktop. Next, go to Windows update and set it to 'check for updates but let me decide what to install' that will keep windows from automatically installing it's video driver. Next go to C:/Nvidia, open the folder and you should see a folder named Display driver. Inside that folder you should see a folder for every driver you have ever installed. They will be names 320.49 and such. Delete every one of those folders, but do not delete the display driver folder, just the ones inside. Next go to control panel > uninstall programs. Uninstall all of the Nvidia display programs, but this is important, uninstall the display driver last. Uninstall the Nvidia update, Phys X, 3D drivers (few people use them), Nvidia HDMI, and the Nvidia update (it does not work anyway). Last uninstall the display driver. You will be told to reboot, do so. When you log back on, windows will install a display adaptor, that is OK. Open your driver that you have downloaded from Nvidia, agree to terms, do not select express install, select custom install. Make sure the 'clean install' check box is selected and uncheck everything except the display driver and PhysX, then install. You will have to reboot after that. That will be the cleanest install you can get, and you will not have the HDMI driver to conflict with the Realtek drivers, but should have all the drivers you need. You can then set windows update back to whatever you like.

I followed these steps so hopefully it will not freeze up on me anymore!

Thanks to everyone who has offered some help :)

Sorry to be offtopic but your name is awesome :p

If this is for me thanks :D I use it for near enough everything for years!!

deh-cheesekake

Bronze Level Poster
I recommend that seeing as you suspect your drivers, you should uninstall them (you can do this in the control panel) and try using a website that archives older versions or drivers

Halfabrain

Hey guys its me again well after I followed Boozad and Vanthus' instructions my PC seemed to get better for a few days no crashes or anything but yesterday it just started freezing and crashing more often than it did I tried to just download a registry cleaner program but that doesn't seem to have helped. I also system restored but I think I didn't have the date from before this started happening.

As I was writing this my computer blue screened and managed to get the error messages:
http://gyazo.com/7e690f0a1a2f3749f02337644c1bcd76
http://gyazo.com/c42dbda1c0f4988624443f32031ec17e
http://gyazo.com/232d463fbd8e67e6a22d8d350760367c

Hopefully this can give some insight to what could be causing it. Is it looking likely I'll have to reinstall my whole OS? Just because I don't have anything currently to back my computer onto so I'd have to selectively keep some things but if its the only way I guess I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Its very faint but I just got this error message
http://gyazo.com/70e554181a9eee2ee2f67563897d4747
"Display driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver has stopped working, version 320.49 stopped responding and has succesfully recovered"

Last edited:

Gazza

Bronze Level Poster
See my post here .. seeing what is listed in the dump file xml may tell you what exactly is creating the freeze/BSOD.