New SSD, do I need to do anything once I plug my old HDD back in?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Hey guys, got myself a Samsung 840 pro 250gb SSD yesterday, stupid amount of money to spend but my PC was well in need of a spruce up seeing as I've used about 800gb out of my 1tb in my Caviar black and things don't seem to be moving too quickly nowadays.

I think I've done everything correctly, I unplugged my old drive and did a clean windows install purely on my SSD, I've installed all the motherboard and display drivers from my discs in the welcome box and I've followed all the tips in the SSD Management thread to enable TRIM, disable indexing, etc.

My one main problem is it turns out I didn't have a spare SATA lead at all (not provided with SSD despite spending £180 -.-) and I can't seem to find one lying around anywhere so I'm going to have to pop back out to PC World or Maplin today and pick one up.

Firstly, can anyone confirm the lead I need to connect my Caviar Black to the motherboard? Looking at SATA cables on PC World/Maplin they all seem to be the old style and not SATA 3's which I find a bit surprising.

Secondly, despite everything being snappy on my PC at the moment, I have no clue what's going to happen when I plug my old drive back in. Will it only run off the SSD until I click on something that requires my HDD to be used? And do I need to uninstall windows and other drivers on my old HDD now that I have them on my SSD? And say I want to move Norton from my old drive onto my new one, is it as simply as click-and-dragging it over or do I have to do a clean install? Same with games, I planned to put a couple of frequently played ones on like Guild Wars 2 which shouldn't be too difficult but what about Steam games? Do they all have to be running off the same drive or can I move individual games over?

Apologies for sounding stupid, I'm a bit clueless!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Firstly, can anyone confirm the lead I need to connect my Caviar Black to the motherboard? Looking at SATA cables on PC World/Maplin they all seem to be the old style and not SATA 3's which I find a bit surprising.
Any SATA cable will be fine, have you check your welcome pack? You may have some spare ones there.
Secondly, despite everything being snappy on my PC at the moment, I have no clue what's going to happen when I plug my old drive back in. Will it only run off the SSD until I click on something that requires my HDD to be used? And do I need to uninstall windows and other drivers on my old HDD now that I have them on my SSD? And say I want to move Norton from my old drive onto my new one, is it as simply as click-and-dragging it over or do I have to do a clean install? Same with games, I planned to put a couple of frequently played ones on like Guild Wars 2 which shouldn't be too difficult but what about Steam games? Do they all have to be running off the same drive or can I move individual games over?
If the primary drive is the SSD you just need to plug back the caviar black. You would need to reinstall Norton.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
any games you have installed on the hdd will need to be unninstalled and reinstall. Otherwise the registry will be incorrect.

I'd format the hdd (backup important files first though) then start fresh. Sucks but thats the best way.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Good job you have a quick internet connection then Sam...

I know this isn't exactly the same but this could be worth a go?

Yea tell me about it Alex.. I dunno what to do then really, I was gonna do a Steam backup to an external hard drive and then format the hard drive to get rid of all the junk. Then I assume I could just restore the Steam games onto my caviar black? Then I could use the method in your link if I wanted to get a game onto my SSD.

To be honest, I'm quite happy with having things on my standard HDD, I just know if I buy BF4 and stuff I'll want it on my SSD so I'm just gonna have to learn it for that really. Pc is running so much quicker though but feels very bare at the moment!