help! my screen has gone dim

dandu

my aio arrived in one week was very happy. after a couple of days though the screen has dimmed and gone to about 50%. the slider on the side doesnt work and the brightness button next to the power button by the charms menu is greyed out. I have also turned off enable adaptive brightness in andvanced power options but none of this has worked. new on here but can anyyone help please

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Have you performed any Windows updates recently?

Try a system restore or check your power settings.

Control Panel>System and Security>Power Options>Change Plan settings>Restore default settings or alternatively click "Change power settings", scroll to display and change the "enable adaptive brightness" setting.

dandu

thanks for the reply . yes i think it happened while windows did an update. i did a system restore which didnt make a difference so i reversed it. did the power settings thing also which didnt make a difference. I can up the brightness on the video card settings but that just makes it washed out . could it be the backlight?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
It could be - although I don't have a lot of experience with all-in-one PCs. I know that on my PC, which is using 8.1, the brightness is also greyed out. The brightness feature in the charms is usually only there for tablets (I think!) - I know it's there on my Surface RT. Does it say 'unavailable' or is it simply greyed out?

dandu

yes it says unavailable. i just uninstalled all the windows updates , apart from 2 which i couldnt delete and that made no difference so i am downloading those again

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Has it always been greyed out? Or did you just notice it? As I said, not much experience here with all-in-ones - but I'm correct in understanding that the screen itself has a physical brightness button you can press?

If that's not working I think it would suggest a hardware fault or possible even a driver issue.

dandu

to be honest i only noticed the greyed out brightness tab when the problem started but it could have been like that from the start. it does have a physical button on the side to control the brightness but that doesnt do anything , however, it definitely worked out of the box. ive got a feeling its the backlight

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
to be honest i only noticed the greyed out brightness tab when the problem started but it could have been like that from the start. it does have a physical button on the side to control the brightness but that doesnt do anything , however, it definitely worked out of the box. ive got a feeling its the backlight

Yeah, could be. I think it has always been greyed out, personally. I would give PCS a call and see what they can do. It might be worth re-installing any drivers first though (not sure if brightness buttons need drivers?! If they're anything like a mouse/touchpad etc then they should....) A recent update may have stopped it from working. It seems odd that it would just break like that, but it does happen. Give them a call though. Best of luck!