AMD Mini-PC?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Not sure if I'm being daft but I was looking to get an Aerocool Dead Silence micro-atx case and have one of the new A10-7850K's in it as it will only be used for general tasks plus very casual gaming. I was just looking on the configurator and the only Mini pc's available are intel only. Am I missing something or are AMD CPU's just not suited to small-form factors?

What I did notice from choosing the A10 in the normal configurator is that it seems to be coming out pretty steep price-wise between £550-£600 for the components I'm looking at. Do you reckon this is even worth it for an APU build or am I going to be getting much better value for money from a dedicated card with a normal CPU? The only reason the A10's interested me was because they seem to be a budget way of solving a low-end gaming need but I'm really not sure it's working out as cost-effective at the moment... Plus the Aerocool Dead Silence has a window and I'd love to have a nice tidy rig inside rather than a big GPU blocking the view :D

Thanks guys :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Hmm... They used to have an AMD option but looks to have been scrapped.

Your probably right that an APU would suit a low end gaming mini PC, but I'm constantly surprised how much gaming performance you can get on the main configurators for £600, that's with a dedicated GPU. The only way APU's work for me is on uber low budget builds that don't have the caviar blacks, the nice chassis etc...

That might be changing as the graphics on those are getting pretty sweet when you think about it for a minute. The only option that exists from PCS (at the moment) is the intel mini PC, and as you say you would have to add a dedicated card to that, probably bringing it up to the range of the a10 in the normal configurator, maybe with a little more grunt though.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Very strange indeed. I've decided it's probably best I go for an i5 with a Gpu anyway. Budget has gone out of the window and probably looking at an R9 270x if I can x)

Now just to get the funds together...

bigben

Master Poster
Budget has gone out of the window

You're worse than me.. I was looking at parts to self build a htpc the other day, got to £700 and started thinking I may as well use my current rig as an htpc and build a shiny new gaming rig... Luckily my internet died lol

What on earth do you need a mini gaming PC for?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
What on earth do you need a mini gaming PC for?

The missus mate, believe it or not she's become pretty hooked to GW2 and even wants to play things like Tomb Raider, etc. Her laptop blew up about 18 months ago as well so she's been using her phone for 'computer tasks' all that time so I said I'd go halves on a rig for her so she'd have the best of both worlds. I seem to be getting more obsessed with it than she is though...

Have you thought about having a linux based HTPC? That's what I was recently looking into x)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I think it will backfire, she will force you to play with her and we all gonna have less co-op time with Grimezy. Can you not buy her a furby or something else?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I think it will backfire, she will force you to play with her and we all gonna have less co-op time with Grimezy. Can you not buy her a furby or something else?

Yea this is true. You never know though, she might be quite the Nazi Zombie Headshotter. It could go well, it could mean instead of her wanting to spend all weekend with me she'll be like "let's not see each other this weekend, let's just play on our PC's together" and then I'll be like sweeeeeeeeet and then it'll get to like 10pm and I'll be like "sorry honey I'm shattered, I'm gonna sleep now"... 'appears offline', invites keynes to game, muhahaha.

I hope she's not reading this.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
So you gonna make me wait till 10pm? I can't see how this can go well for either of us :surrender:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I told you before baileys, Oreos and a nice hot tea with a couple of lemsips. She is going to wake up thinking you got the best GW2 session last night :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Hahahaha you scare me how much you know about the subject!

Here's an idea other than drugging my girlfriend... you could always buy guild wars and come and play if you'd miss me that much ;)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Stop putting expensive ideas into my head..

You agreed to go half?! You must really like her...

Linux would work out like £80 cheaper than your super expensive version though! ;D

Aha we've been together for like over 3 years now, I spend more money on her than I do on myself x) If she wants to take an interest in my hobbies then I'll do anything to help :D

bigben

Master Poster
Linux would work out like £80 cheaper than your super expensive version though! ;D

Aha we've been together for like over 3 years now, I spend more money on her than I do on myself x) If she wants to take an interest in my hobbies then I'll do anything to help :D

shhh

haha. I tried to get my ex into golf - I got laughed all the way to the 18th....