The monitor man needs help

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I'm looking to buy a ASUS VX229H AH-IPS 21.5" for the missus as it seems like a nice panel and I think she'd benefit more from a cheap IPS than she would from a TN panel. The only issue I can see is the connections are 2xHDMI and 1xVGA. I'm perfectly happy with this as I can hook it up to her GPU via HDMI but I was querying the sound and whether I can still connect external speakers as normal.

I assume there's an option in the control panel to pick between the sound transmitted from the HDMI or the sound coming from the external speakers?

I know I know, nooby question :( I've never had a monitor that only has HDMI though so I don't know these things!

Thanks guys :)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I know on my laptop i usually have about 3 to 5 sources available.

I have HDMI audio to the TV/Monitor
USB to my USB Speakers
Bluetooth to my Bluetooth Speaker
Optical to Surround Sound
and finally headphone Jack to my headphones

I just right click on the Speaker and there is an option for Audio Devices and then it gives a list of all those available and i just right click on the one i want and say set as default. Obviously when all are unplugged they go back to the laptop speakers

I would put screen shots up but my lappy is at home at the moment.

I assume the same would be avalable for desktop if thats what you have

Hope thats the info your looking for though.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Cheers guys, I believe the GPU has 2 x DVI, 1 x HDMI and 1 x Displayport :) I figured it could be done but it seems strange buying a monitor without a DVI port!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Cheers guys, I believe the GPU has 2 x DVI, 1 x HDMI and 1 x Displayport :) I figured it could be done but it seems strange buying a monitor without a DVI port!

I think an iPad will be a much better gift :turned:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Haha do you know anyone that has one for sale? ;)

She already has the rig, just needs the peripherals :)