How did i not know this already?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Firstly, I suspect I shouldn't really be admitting this but I cant believe everyone knows about it... I suspect they do and I'm just a bit slow on the uptake but now I've found it, I have no idea how I will ever live without using it.

Middle click, since when was that even a thing... Click the scroll wheel and BAM, a whole new universe is opened.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with this magical creation, open up your browser and middle click a link. NEW tab!!!!!!!!!!!!! How ace is that! Want to close the tab, middle click!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm off to see if anyone has invented anything lese obvious I might have missed.

P.S
anyone laughing gets a month long ban

Androcles

Rising Star
My middle click locks the mouse and makes up down left and right movements scroll web pages, it's different with different mice.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Only if you hold it down, single middle click a link (like a single left click). I dare you!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Middle click new tab and close tab is just the bestest thing ever :) (changed my life when I found out!)

Not going to laugh at you manta, because a ban might kill me, but it slightly hilarious :D

Androcles

Rising Star
Only if you hold it down, single middle click a link (like a single left click). I dare you!

Nope, single click with my middle mouse button just brings up the scroll symbol on this mouse and with my other mouse acts as a back button.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Nope, single click with my middle mouse button just brings up the scroll symbol on this mouse and with my other mouse acts as a back button.

Then you have special mouse :) Single click does bring up the scroll symbol if you do it on the page somewhere, but on a link it opens a new tab :)

Androcles

Rising Star
Then you have special mouse :) Single click does bring up the scroll symbol if you do it on the page somewhere, but on a link it opens a new tab :)

Not for me, although messing about with it just now to double check I found that on both mice double clicking the middle button on a link opens it in a separate window.

sted

Rising Star
I know, it's one of the best things, it helps the lazy side of me to roam (or lay) free.

Androcles

Rising Star
I've worked out why it's different for me, it's the Logitech setpoint software I have installed for my mice, you can change it in the profiles, although I don't remember ever doing that.

Spuff

Expert
What the middle click does is dependent on how the thing receiving the middle clicking is set to respond to a middle click.
In Chrome (other browsers too) middle clicking a link to open it in a new tab is the norm for me. Middle click tab to close a tab.

Last edited:

sted

Rising Star
What about laptop users? :(

Ctrl + left click opens new tabs too (and I believe holding down your finger on the right edge of the trackpad and pulling part ways down allows you to scroll down pages too, at variable speeds--not sure if it works for all laptops though).