Will you Upgrade to win 10

keynes

Multiverse Poster
probably not to avoid the hassle of compatibitly issues (if any). I will probably wait for you to try it and wait for your feedback :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'll certainly get a copy since it's free though having played with it quite a bit via the Windows Insider Program it's not going to be Earth-shattering. As long as I get no issues with it I will most probably go live with it eventually, staying back-level is never a sensible long-term option.

Once again though it looks to me like Windows 10 is more about multi-platform support and there is little to get overly excited about for the desktop user.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It is free for only ONE YEAR!! You will be forced to pay a subscription once that year is up!!

The only thing tempting me at all is DX12. Being a trainee game developer, I kind of have to keep on top of stuff like that.

However, I will probably be able to get a permanently free copy with MS Dreamspark

I do hate that they keep making everything subscription based. I was talking to a friend about this and as the subscription seems to carry over to Windows Phone as well, how will they force a subscription charge? Can they disable someones phone for not paying? Is that legal?

If I can get a copy where I don't have to pay monthly subscription I will upgrade on at least 1 of my 3 devices and if I prefer it a lot and its worth the hassle of reinstalling then I may go ahead and do it.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I just lost a game of Dota so i might just be mad at that BUT....

Why dont they just bring Xbox games to PC? Like an Xbox client/emulator that will let us pop in a xbox one game and play the game there on our PC? I get it that hardware is different etc but its not impossible.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It is free for only ONE YEAR!! You will be forced to pay a subscription once that year is up!!

Not sure that's the case, im not seeing that elsewhere. im seeing a lot of them pushing office/cloud storage to keep revenues up but the upgrade will be free to anyone running windows 7 and above. The free upgrade of dows will last for 365 days after launch at which point (my reading of it is) they will then charge a fee for anyone buying a new OS.

If that's the case then I will upgrade (probably) as im still on 7

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/soft...ows-10-upgrade-for-windows-81-windows-7-users

States it at the top there, and most other sites I've looked at.

EDIT:

Image from the actual event
Windows_10_0121_34.jpg

Rakk

The Awesome
I don't want to believe that they'd start a subscription for Windows, so many people would just never upgrade, unless the OS is free to install and its a minimal amount.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It was a rumour a few months back changing it to subscription based, after just about every other "service" of Microsoft's is subscription based.

I don't mind paying the regular £70/£80 one time fee but I refuse to use subscription based for such critical stuff. Hence why I use Office 2010 still (actually I use LibreOffice but I have it installed)

Luckily, being a student, I should get a free copy on release like with pretty much all their OSs

EDIT: MS has made some stupid mistakes in recent years, I wouldn't put it past them at all.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Just found a new article where MS have properly clarified what it was

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

Basically anyone wanting a copy of Windows 10 in its first year of release will get it free. You won't need to pay after a year, its just anyone can get it free for the first year. No payment required at all. Anyone wanting to upgrade more than 1 year after release will have to pay a one off charge like previous versions at a comparable price.

Rakk

The Awesome
Basically anyone wanting a copy of Windows 10 in its first year of release will get it free. You won't need to pay after a year, its just anyone can get it free for the first year. No payment required at all. Anyone wanting to upgrade more than 1 year after release will have to pay a one off charge like previous versions at a comparable price.
I thought it'd be something like that :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the clarification (re: subscription). Making Windows 10 (and later) subscription only OS's would have been the kiss of death for Windows!

What I have been reading is that Microsoft is very aware that application development has moved away from Windows in recent years and on to Android and iOS, so with Windows 10 Microsoft want to create an exciting platform that encourages application development on Windows again (for all devices). Making the OS subscription only would have been completely counter to that. I'd even predict that Windows 10 users will get a limited time free upgrade to Windows 11 too, it makes sense for Microsoft to allow free upgrades from the current to the next release of the OS, that's how you encourage users (especially business users) to stay current.

It seems that Microsoft are doing what I suggested they should do some time ago, i.e. make Windows 10 free to 8/8.1 users as though it were a service pack (which in truth it probably is). It seems that Windows 7 users will also get a free upgrade a year later, and that's interesting. I have said that Windows 7 will not have the lifespan of Windows XP and despite the guarantee of support until 2020 (mainstream support has already ended for it of course) it's clear that Microsoft want users off Windows 7 and on Windows 10 now. They simply can't afford to support multiple versions of Windows any longer, especially versions that are only desktop based, so it may be that support for Windows 7 from now up to 2020 is handled by an old guy on an aged Lenovo laptop in a shack in the car park......

Androcles

Rising Star
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/soft...ows-10-upgrade-for-windows-81-windows-7-users

States it at the top there, and most other sites I've looked at.

EDIT:

Image from the actual event
Windows_10_0121_34.jpg

That was explained in the live broadcast, it's free to upgrade to Windows 10 for the first year, after that you have to buy it if you haven't already upgraded.

I'll probably be trying it out on my laptop for a 6 months or so and if I get on alright with it then I will upgrade my desktop.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That was explained in the live broadcast, it's free to upgrade to Windows 10 for the first year, after that you have to buy it if you haven't already upgraded.

I'll probably be trying it out on my laptop for a 6 months or so and if I get on alright with it then I will upgrade my desktop.

My stream was constantly cutting out so I probably missed half the important stuff, I do believe I wasn't the only one on the internet confused.

mdwh

Enthusiast
I'll upgrade (my 2 laptops currently on 8.1). Also nice to have an option for my older desktop still on 7, though that just acts as a fileserver these days.

From http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/soft...ows-10-upgrade-for-windows-81-windows-7-users :

"Myerson also said that the question of "what version are you running?" will soon cease to exist, as Microsoft aims to keep developing Windows 10 for the foreseeable future"

I guess that explains why they skipped to 10 - being on a round number like that for years seems more natural than being on 9 (and seems similar to Apple who have stuck at "10" since OS X's introduction).

Buzz

Master
Subscription based not a hope. Simply wouldn't work IMO. I LOVE my windows 7 Ultimate. Will find it very hard leaving it behind, but ill def give 10 a try once my windows 7 key doesn't become obsolete after an upgrade to 10. Windows 10 from what I gather will be pretty much windows 7 based with the additional 8/8.1 features. I think they skipped "windows 9" due to Microsoft having a big presence in Japan and 9 is considered a bad omen. 9 is “ku”, which is also the word for suffering. For me they can call it whatever they like once its good.

"Myerson also said that the question of "what version are you running?" will soon cease to exist, as Microsoft aims to keep developing Windows 10 for the foreseeable future"

The version numbers have always been messed up. Windows 8.1 is actually version 6.3 of Windows. Windows 10 is version 6.4. The last time the release name actually matched the version number was Windows NT 4.0, which was back in 1996. Windows 2000, which was called NT 5.0 during development, was actually version 5.0. Windows XP was version 5.1. Windows Vista was 6.0, Windows 7 was 6.1, Windows 8 was 6.2, and Windows 8.1 is version 6.3

Rakk

The Awesome
I think they skipped "windows 9" due to Microsoft having a big presence in Japan and 9 is considered a bad omen. 9 is “ku”, which is also the word for suffering.

I heard it was actually because many many programs/apps/stuff check to see what version of Windows you are using so they can run the right configs and run correctly (or just tell you it wont run), however most search for the version containing 'Windows 9' to determine if its Windows 95 or Windows 98 (since 95 and 98 were very similar if it works on one, it'll work on the other) thus the reason they couldn't call it Windows 9.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I heard it was actually because many many programs/apps/stuff check to see what version of Windows you are using so they can run the right configs and run correctly (or just tell you it wont run), however most search for the version containing 'Windows 9' to determine if its Windows 95 or Windows 98 (since 95 and 98 were very similar if it works on one, it'll work on the other) thus the reason they couldn't call it Windows 9.

This was my understanding too.

mdwh

Enthusiast
Some more details of the rumour:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690724/why-windows-10-isnt-named-9-windows-95-legacy-code.html
http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...name-due-to-third-party-code-conflict-1267580
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/01/windows-10-9-naming-rumor/

Interestingly the Windows APIs themselves are set up to avoid this kind of mess - version check should be done by major/minor versions which as Buzz says is different from the branded versions (which does make some sense - it's not uncommon to have internal versions different from brandnames, the advantage is that developers can have a sensible versioning, which is separate from the names that marketing think is better).

Also as of Windows 8.1, Windows lies and pretends it's Windows 8 to any app that requests the version, unless the app was built against 8.1, which is meant to avoid this problem entirely.

(See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/ms724832(v=vs.85).aspx .)

The examples given are all Java, which has a built in way of returning OS name as a string. So I can see a knock on effect where Java (or some other 3rd party library) is built for Windows 9, so gets told it's version 6.4 or whatever, which it then passes onto a caller application as "Windows 9"...

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
So from what I understand as long as you upgrade within the first year you can keep it forever?

If it was subscription based then I wouldn't mind, depending on the price. If you think about it windows costs around £70 at the moment and most people will keep their PC for 5 years or less, so anything around £15 or less a year is completely reasonable and I'd actually prefer it, since it costs less upfront when you buy a new pc