So many Bsod Problems

leeleep

All i seem to get is new Bsod's.

Never had bsod problem on my old windows vista desktop but ever since i got this 8.1 laptop i've had countless bsod's, it really annoying.

Recently done a clean install of windows because of dodgy drivers and i though't it stopped my irql bsod's which it did but now i seem to have more.

DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
REFERENCE BY POINTER
ATTEMTMPED EXECUTE OF NON EXECUTE MEMORY

Most seem to come from ntoskrnl.exe

Seriously what do i need to do, this is just ridiculous now, windows 8.1 is such a bad os.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
All i seem to get is new Bsod's.

Never had bsod problem on my old windows vista desktop but ever since i got this 8.1 laptop i've had countless bsod's, it really annoying.

Recently done a clean install of windows because of dodgy drivers and i though't it stopped my irql bsod's which it did but now i seem to have more.

DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
REFERENCE BY POINTER
ATTEMTMPED EXECUTE OF NON EXECUTE MEMORY

Most seem to come from ntoskrnl.exe

Seriously what do i need to do, this is just ridiculous now, windows 8.1 is such a bad os.

Firstly, it's not windows 8 that's the issue, it's incompatible or missing drivers that's causing it and the same would happen on any OS.

Secondly, did you get the laptop with an OS or install your own?

Thirdly, where are you sourcing your drivers? From PCS supplied disk, downloads section or clevo?

Fourth, could you post your full specs?

leeleep

Got the laptop with the os installed, but i recently did a clean install using the disc that was sent.

I'm using the driver in the downloads page, some were from the disc that was sent as i forgot the copy the network card drivers onto a usb before i did a clean install, though i sorted this problem.

Full specs:

Chassis & Display Cosmos Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i3 Dual Core Mobile Processor i3-4000M (2.40GHz) 3MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 840M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - Hard Disk 1TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
mSATA/M.2 SSD Drive NONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery 2 x Cosmos Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language UPGRADE TO COSMOS 17" SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Windows 10 Upgrade FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases
DVD Recovery Media Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Browser Firefox™
Carry Case NONE
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Stand-Alone Monitor NONE
Additional Keyboard NONE
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Gaming Mouse Pad NONE
External Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'll wait for SpyderTracks to come back to you on the output of dxdiag, nothing leaps out at me but I'm not that experienced at reading that output.

What I have done is to research those BSODs (and they are all there at the end of your dxdiag output) and the one thing they all have in common is driver problems. The SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION in particular is usually a graphics driver problem.

Hopefully SpyderTracks may be able to but a finger on it (no pressure there buddy!).

When you did the clean install how do you do that? Did you boot the Windows installation DVD, delete the exiting Windows installation and then install a fresh copy of Windows? Did you then install all the drivers as supplied by PCS? Generally you should install the chipset driver first, the VGA driver before the NVIDIA driver and the LAN driver before the WLAN driver. Is that what you did, or did you do something different?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'll wait for SpyderTracks to come back to you on the output of dxdiag, nothing leaps out at me but I'm not that experienced at reading that output.

What I have done is to research those BSODs (and they are all there at the end of your dxdiag output) and the one thing they all have in common is driver problems. The SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION in particular is usually a graphics driver problem.

Hopefully SpyderTracks may be able to but a finger on it (no pressure there buddy!).

When you did the clean install how do you do that? Did you boot the Windows installation DVD, delete the exiting Windows installation and then install a fresh copy of Windows? Did you then install all the drivers as supplied by PCS? Generally you should install the chipset driver first, the VGA driver before the NVIDIA driver and the LAN driver before the WLAN driver. Is that what you did, or did you do something different?

Morning! Sorry, late night for a change, was well past my bedtime :)

From the looks of it, your chipset drivers are out of date, as well as Intel IME, Intel RST SATA AHCI controller and I'm unsure if your Airplane mode driver is installed. IME, IRST and chipset drivers being incompatible will all contribute to BSODS.

Basically, rather than use the PCS supplied disk, I would download all the latest drivers direct from clevo or msi (not sure what model number the Cosmos is, need to get someone to confirm).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

From the looks of it, your chipset drivers are out of date, as well as Intel IME, Intel RST SATA AHCI controller and I'm unsure if your Airplane mode driver is installed. IME, IRST and chipset drivers being incompatible will all contribute to BSODS.

Basically, rather than use the PCS supplied disk, I would download all the latest drivers direct from clevo or msi (not sure what model number the Cosmos is, need to get someone to confirm).

How did you tell that from the dxdiag output? Did you just compare the driver dates with the latest version or is there something in there I'm not seeing? This looks like a good learning experience for me. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
How did you tell that from the dxdiag output? Did you just compare the driver dates with the latest version or is there something in there I'm not seeing? This looks like a good learning experience for me. :)

As you say, I just compared driver dates with latest versions on Intel site.

Against airplane mode driver it listed the driver version as n/a which I think relates to none found.

leeleep

thank you ill try find these, do i install these using the device manager? manually finding the file?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
thank you ill try find these, do i install these using the device manager? manually finding the file?

they're just normal driver files, usually in an .exe file so you double click and it takes you through installation.

You go to www.clevo.com.tw and enter your clevo model number in the services/downloads section and it will list all your drivers.

leeleep

This is so confusing, tried to use the intel auto chipset utility or w/e it is, it didn't detect that my chipsets are out of date just the windows graphic driver which im using the nvidea so i don't need to update anyway im guessing?

Can't find the model or w/e on clevo, this is screwing with my head, i never had any of these problems on my old vista, it didn't bsod once and it was 7 years old.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is so confusing, tried to use the intel auto chipset utility or w/e it is, it didn't detect that my chipsets are out of date just the windows graphic driver which im using the nvidea so i don't need to update anyway im guessing?

Can't find the model or w/e on clevo, this is screwing with my head, i never had any of these problems on my old vista, it didn't bsod once and it was 7 years old.

You need BOTH the Intel graphics card driver (the on-board GPU) AND the NVIDA graphics card driver (the additional GPU). The Intel driver is often just called the VGA driver and the Intel driver update tool should tell you whether it's current or not. The NVIDIA driver comes from NVIDIA themselves so you should visit their website to get the latest copy of that driver (they also have a tool that can tell you whether your current driver is up to date). Even when you're using the NVDIA card the on-board GPU is still assisting, so you do need the correct driver for it.

Since you've done some driver uninstalling/installing it might be worth doing a completely clean install of the NVIDIA driver, Boozad of this forum posted instructions on how to do that some time ago, I've copied them here for you...

Download whatever driver you want to use to your desktop (typically the latest driver).

Next, go to Windows update and set it to 'check for updates but let me decide what to install' that will keep windows from automatically installing it's video driver.

Next go to C:/Nvidia, open the folder and you should see a folder named Display driver. Inside that folder you should see a folder for every driver you have ever installed. They will be names 320.49 and such. Delete every one of those folders, but do not delete the display driver folder, just the ones inside.

Next go to control panel > uninstall programs. Uninstall all of the Nvidia display programs, but this is important, uninstall the display driver last. Uninstall the Nvidia update, Phys X, 3D drivers (few people use them), Nvidia HDMI, and the Nvidia update (it does not work anyway). Last uninstall the display driver. You will be told to reboot, do so.

When you log back on, windows will install a display adaptor, that is OK. Open your driver that you have downloaded from Nvidia, agree to terms, do not select express install, select custom install. Make sure the 'clean install' check box is selected and uncheck everything except the display driver and PhysX, then install. You will have to reboot after that.

That will be the cleanest install you can get. You can then set windows update back to whatever you like.

Also, I typically never install driver updates via Windows update, I simply don't trust them. In addition, once you have a properly working system there is no need to ever update the drivers unless you either get a problem or you need the functionality provided by the new driver. Otherwise leave them alone.

leeleep

So i updated my intel graphics driver, still haven't figured out anything else, got the irql_not_equal error again, haven't seen that for a while.

I may just check if i can get a refund on this laptop, i spend 80% of the time trying to fix errors. It's not capable of watch a 15 min youtube video without crashing. Never had a problem with vista.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So i updated my intel graphics driver, still haven't figured out anything else, got the irql_not_equal error again, haven't seen that for a while.

I may just check if i can get a refund on this laptop, i spend 80% of the time trying to fix errors. It's not capable of watch a 15 min youtube video without crashing. Never had a problem with vista.

You don't need a refund you need a proper install of Windows and ALL the drivers. IRQL_NOT_EQUAL is 99.9% of the time a bad or missing driver.

If you logon to your account at PCS (not the forum, the main website) on the left hand side menu under Tech Support you'll be able to download a zip file containing all the original drivers for your build. So download that to you laptop, unzip the file and copy ALL the drivers to a USB stick.

Now do a clean install of Windows. Boot the install DVD, select a Custom install and delete all partitions on your hard disk. Now allocate a new partition the size of the entire disk (Windows may also allocate a second, small, partition. This is normal and you should leave that small partition alone). Now format your new large partition and install Windows into that. Once Windows is installed you MUST then install ALL the drivers.

Install the chipset driver first.
Install the VGA driver before you install the NVIDIA driver.
Install the LAN driver before you install the WLAN driver.
Other drivers can then be installed in any order you like.

You will be told to reboot after most driver installs. Do reboot after each one, this is important. Don't try and rush this.

Once Windows and all the drivers are installed run Windows update installing only important updates. Do not install Optional updates at this time and do not install any driver updates.

Now test your laptop out using only the software recently installed. Do not install any other software nor make any configuration changes. You now have the cleanest software environment possible, this is the state in which PCS will have shipped it to you. If it fails at all now you most likely have a hardware problem and you should call PCS.

Last edited:

leeleep

You don't need a refund you need a proper install of Windows and ALL the drivers. IRQL_NOT_EQUAL is 99.9% of the time a bad or missing driver.

If you logon to your account at PCS (not the forum, the main website) on the left hand side menu under Tech Support you'll be able to download a zip file containing all the original drivers for your build. So download that to you laptop, unzip the file and copy ALL the drivers to a USB stick.

Now do a clean install of Windows. Boot the install DVD, select a Custom install and delete all partitions on your hard disk. Now allocate a new partition the size of the entire disk (Windows may also allocate a second, small, partition. This is normal and you should leave that small partition alone). Now format your new large partition and install Windows into that. Once Windows is installed you MUST then install ALL the drivers.

Install the chipset driver first.
Install the VGA driver before you install the NVIDIA driver.
Install the LAN driver before you install the WLAN driver.
Other drivers can then be installed in any order you like.

You will be told to reboot after most driver installs. Do reboot after each one, this is important. Don't try and rush this.

Once Windows and all the drivers are installed run Windows update installing only important updates. Do not install Optional updates at this time and do not install any driver updates.

Now test your laptop out using only the software recently installed. Do not install any other software nor make any configuration changes. You now have the cleanest software environment possible, this is the state in which PCS will have shipped it to you. If it fails at all now you most likely have a hardware problem and you should call PCS.

Pretty sure i've already tried this once though.

Qe7W8tt.png

I've tried doing this recently though. Didn't work last time either. Do i update the bios?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Pretty sure i've already tried this once though.

<image snip>

I've tried doing this recently though. Didn't work last time either. Do i update the bios?

No, don't update the BIOS unless PCS instruct you to. I'd recommend you redo the clean install of Windows and all drivers exactly as I described, and then test it before installing anything else or making any hardware or config changes (so don;t plug any external devices in to it either). If it fails at that point you cannot fix it yourself and you should call PCS.

leeleep

So I've cleaned installed, I updated the main driver tab, when I got to click on the WLAN driver or the Combo BT driver in the options tab, it days device was not found or please enable it. What is this, it seems important.