BSOD Issues under load

Hi all,
I bought my PC from PCS this month and having some issues with Blue Screen of Death when I'm gaming with Star Wars - The Old Republic.

Since it's not a very intensive game, I'm running at high settings. Sometimes It's frozen and then BSOD'd on restart, other times it doesn't freeze but just BSOD'd.
I've tried turning down the graphics settings to mediums but it doesn't seem to stop the issue, sometimes it can go for a an hour or two, other times only 10 minutes or so.

PC Specs:
Case PCS DOMINATOR 6806B BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU) AMD FX-4300 Quad Core CPU (3.80GHz/4MB CACHE/AM3+)
Motherboard ASUS® 970 PRO GAMING/AURA (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/SLI)
Memory (RAM) 8GB Kingston DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 Ti - DVI, HDMI VGA
1st Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON UV400 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (550MB/R, 350MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling Super Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe AMD CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11 AC 867Mbps + BT4.0 + Intel Wi-Di PCI-E CARD
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System : Windows 10 Education version (self installed)

I've updated to the latest drivers for everything I think, I used the discs provided by PCS then went onto each one and got them to check for updates from the web, and let them update themselves from there.

The PC seams stable in everything else I've done so far, but that's not usually that intensive (media streaming, word processing, general internet stuff etc)

The BSOD errors that are being reported are things such as:

System service exception (a few times)

System thread exception not handled

Unexpected Store Access.

If you have any idea to solve this issue, I'd be really appreciative! Got the PC for uni work, light GoPro editing and for some gaming too.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Updating the drivers was a good idea, that's often the cause of BSODs. I notice that you installed your own copy of Windows 10 so it would still be worth checking that there are no missing drivers.

Since you've only had it a short time it might be worth checking that everything is seated properly (especially RAM). It's not uncommon for stuff to shift in transit and cards to partially pop out etc. Make sure all connectors are fully home too.

Thanks, I've started the process of updating drivers and utilities, the ASUS mobo had a few ones I didn't put in, so hoping those will help, had a poke around the inside of the case and everything seems fully connected. Hoping the utilities from the mobo will sort out, will check over the week.

I can't find drivers for SSD or HDD, assuming they don't need any?

Also the CPU drivers and utilities "AI Suite 3" for my AMD FX4300 is running the 4 way optimisation - TPU thing, they does a mini overclock that it does itself, could this also be causing the issue?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
While AI Suite is a lot better than it used to be, it still gets treated with a fair degree of suspicion (sometimes perhaps rightly so). In your position I'd probably remove it, and remove any overclocks it has applied (which may involve resetting the BIOS).

Although it's certainly possible you might be able to run an overclock on your CPU in the future, your system isn't really built for overclocking and even if it was when troubleshooting issues it's best to run things at stock settings to rule out the cause of any problems being instability due to overclocks.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I always recommend, as an absolute bare minimum that you ensure the chipset, GPU and network drivers are up to date.

No - no drivers are required for SSD or HDD.

I've made sure all the drivers are up to date, now removing AI 3, I guess I'll find out soon whether that was causing the issue or not, Thanks for the advise all!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you know how to use the Windows Event Viewer there may well be some entries in there under either Critical or Error that might help point to the problem.

If you know how to use the Windows Event Viewer there may well be some entries in there under either Critical or Error that might help point to the problem.

I don't really but I've found it from a quick Google search!

I've got one recurring Critical (seems to be about the right time for the crashes pretty much!)
They all say the source is Kernel-Power. Event ID: 41 Task Category 63

(google search seems to be PSU failure or underpowering)
Since I've now removed AI 3 any overclocking should be stopped?
And since it's a new rig, the PSU should also be fine. (and PCS customiser thing said the TDP should be about 375W so I got a 450W PSU for some extra headroom)

I'll be touching on some gaming later so should be able to see if it still crashes like it was last week!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't really but I've found it from a quick Google search!

I've got one recurring Critical (seems to be about the right time for the crashes pretty much!)
They all say the source is Kernel-Power. Event ID: 41 Task Category 63

(google search seems to be PSU failure or underpowering)
Since I've now removed AI 3 any overclocking should be stopped?
And since it's a new rig, the PSU should also be fine. (and PCS customiser thing said the TDP should be about 375W so I got a 450W PSU for some extra headroom)

I'll be touching on some gaming later so should be able to see if it still crashes like it was last week!

No that's a symptom and not a cause. It's just telling you that the system did not shutdown properly, that's all. Nothing to worry about at all with that one.

Update:

Thanks all for the suggestions, between a driver update or two and getting rid of AI Suite 3, I've not had any BSOD issues! So something seems to have worked! thanks for all your help! :)