USB will only read 1TB and lower

Lybster

Optimus V (ok I know its old now but it still working well apart from this)

One of the two USB 3.0 ports will not read and USB HDDs more than 1 TB in size. The other port and the combo e-sata/USB port also reads larger drives happily.

I've been through everything I can find recommended will fix the problem and I'm starting to wonder if there's a hardware problem or if its never read over 1TB and its only come to my attention when I back up my 6TB film disk.

Anyone have a suggestion?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Does it recognise the drive is present? What do you see in Disk Management with the drive connected?

Is it just one drive or any drive over 1TB.

Sent using Tapatalk

Lybster

Does it recognise the drive is present? What do you see in Disk Management with the drive connected?

Is it just one drive or any drive over 1TB.

Sent using Tapatalk

It doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, disk management or device manager nor anything else (eg Acronis, Macrium Reflect etc)

So far I've tested with 2 different 2TB drives, a 3TB drive and a 6TB drive - none of them show. 1TB, 500GB, 256GB drive (couple of each) and even an old 350GB and even older 80GB drive are all fine. That's both "proper" USB drives, ones I've put into an enclosure from Amazon and hooked up via an adapter cable.

The 2TB are a Samsung & a Toshiba, the 3TB & 6TB are Samsung. The smaller drives are a mixture.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Windows 7 SP1

I've installed an evaluation copy of USBTrace which shows that port is under the generic usb hub not the usb 3.0 hub
You realise that's completely out of date? Other than security issues, you'll have issues with drives larger than 2Tb if they're formatted as MBR. It's a limitation of Windows 7 not being patched properly.

Lybster

You realise that's completely out of date? Other than security issues, you'll have issues with drives larger than 2Tb if they're formatted as MBR. It's a limitation of Windows 7 not being patched properly.

I do realise its out of date, can't remember when I last applied an update to the OS (av & am on the other hand are bang up to date). If MBR was the problem I would expect it to be the case for all the ports not just one of three.

Just on the off chance I converted one of the 2TB disks to GPT - exactly the same

I've been doing some more experimenting and I think it may have something to do with power. Try plugging a 2TB drive directly into the USB2 port and it beeps (what I'd expect). I have a 4 port unpowered hub that holds mouse dongle and some other stuff and plugging into that the 2TB drive beeps. Plug that hub into the malfunctioning port and no beep, it shows up in explorer BUT is inaccessible.