WiFi issues

mattsaw

I must have rebooted >20 times so far today. Deleted and re added networks multiple times, rebooted both routers etc etc.
Also tried a fresh Windows install

Not sure what Dashlane is?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I must have rebooted >20 times so far today. Deleted and re added networks multiple times, rebooted both routers etc etc.

So did it connect to network and did you change to private?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

When you did the reinstall, did you do that from bootable media? Did you run Windows Update to install all drivers?

What do you mean by "re added networks"?

mattsaw

So did it connect to network and did you change to private?

One machine has connected temporarily, then connected most of the morning with the adaptor dropping every 40 minutes, then has dropped out completely this afternoon after I updated the drivers.

The other machine won't connect at all.

I haven't been able to update/check the network as it isn;t visible on the connection setting page as the screenshot shows on p1.

mattsaw

When you did the reinstall, did you do that from bootable media? Did you run Windows Update to install all drivers?

What do you mean by "re added networks"?

The machine was only sent out on Friday so I was able to do a rollback from the pro-loaded Windows software.

By re-adding networks I mean I removed them from the machine and re added them using right click > forget

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The machine was only sent out on Friday so I was able to do a rollback from the pro-loaded Windows software.

By re-adding networks I mean I removed them from the machine and re added them using right click > forget
What do you mean "do a rollback from the pre-loaded windows software"?

The PC should have come fully configured, they don't install any bloatware unless you selected it in the configurator?

mattsaw

What do you mean "do a rollback from the pre-loaded windows software"?

You can do a fresh Windows setup/rollback overwriting all settings selected setup within 10 days of the initial setup iirc.

I wanted to make sure I hadn't misadvertently made any selections during Windows install and setup that may have caused any issues.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You can do a fresh Windows setup/rollback overwriting all settings selected setup within 10 days of the initial setup iirc.

I wanted to make sure I hadn't misadvertently made any selections during Windows install and setup that may have caused any issues.
You can do a completely clean reinstall of Windows from bootable media at any time after you have activated the copy you bought with the PC. In your position I think I'd be tempted to do a completely clean reinstall and allow Windows Update to install all drivers.

mattsaw

So I'm still no further along in being able to change the network to public/private or to solve the Wifi doesn't have valid IP configuration error on either machine.

Any other ideas?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Open an elevated PowerShell session and enter these three command for me please....

1. Get-NetAdapter - you'll see a list of the network adapters on your PC. Please post a screenshot of this output. Also note down the name of your WiFi adapter, you'll need that name in the next commands.

2. Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperties WiFi - substitute your WiFi adapter name for WiFi. Please post a screenshot of this output.

3. Get-NetAdapterBinding WiFi - substitute your WiFi adapter name for WiFi. Please post a screenshot of this output.

This will allow us to see what your WiFi adapter setup looks like and whether we can see any gotchas in there. To be brutally honest though, since you've uninstalled Bullguard the status of your firewall and network connections is suspect. In your position the fastest way to a resolution will be to perform a completely clean reinstall of Windows from bootable media allowing Windows Update to install all the necessary drivers.

Later edit (after taking the dog for a walk). Run these too....

4. Get-NetIPConfiguration WiFi -Detailed - substitute your WiFi adapter name for WiFi. Please post a screenshot of this output.

5. Get-NetFirewallProfile Public,Private - please post a screenshot of this output. This will allow us to see what the Windows firewall settings look like.

Last edited: