Best £250-300 phone

• Thread starter Deleted member 94250
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94250

So my £140 samsung j4 is falling apart. I've saved a bit of cash adn wanted to get a phone for £250-300, what would you guys look for in that price range?

D

Deleted member 94250

Much like computers, I have found that phones depend on particular uses.....people who spend a lot of time on games etc will want a bigger battery for longer battery life...those running data software etc may benefit from a better chip.
i just want a daily driver.

Personally, I love my Motorola G6 Play as it has a good battery life which is perfect for me as I run video apps all day....the newest version is the G8 which is around £150 or so...the best G8 is about £200.
thanks.

Beyond that, the Honors have pretty good reviews.
Honor is a renamed Huawei, (right?) and we've seen the fireworks between Google and Huawei. No thanks, I like my Android support future to be guaranteed.

With any phone these days, I would look for a minmimum of 3GB RAM though...anything less will be too slow. But, as I said, it depends on your uses...also, some people want a very good camera whereas others are happy with an average one.
I was using a £140 samsung j4 and yes. 2gb of ram was a pathetic experience not doing that again.

Best thing to do is to search Google (or any other search engine) for "best phones for £250" or "best mid-range phones" etc and then look into each phone, do comparisons, read reviews etc....that is how I found my Motorola when I bought it 2 years ago
the results keep pushing huawei and xiaomi, with all respect huawei has a questionable future software-wise and my buddy got absolute rubbish customer service with xiaomi.
I'll keep looking though.

samwil

Enthusiast
An A71 may be the way to go.

Its Samsung, which your familiar with.

When you say you want a daily driver, this doesn't help as everyone has different needs for a mobile device day to day, some people go on holiday 3 times a year and want a quality camera, some people stream videos for multiple hours in the day so a 5g ready phone may be a worthy investment. Some people store their whole lives on their phones so a large out of the box storage capacity with expandable storage is a necessity.

But in terms of a do it all OK, for your budget, an A71 is 419, with a traded in J5 bring it into your budget, alternatively you'll need to get a refurbished version of a Samsung if this is your preference, otherwise a company with a small market share or a Chinese phone will be your only option.

Only just checked this thread is a month old. Oops.

D

Deleted member 94250

An A71 may be the way to go.

Its Samsung, which your familiar with.

When you say you want a daily driver, this doesn't help as everyone has different needs for a mobile device day to day, some people go on holiday 3 times a year and want a quality camera, some people stream videos for multiple hours in the day so a 5g ready phone may be a worthy investment. Some people store their whole lives on their phones so a large out of the box storage capacity with expandable storage is a necessity.

But in terms of a do it all OK, for your budget, an A71 is 419, with a traded in J5 bring it into your budget, alternatively you'll need to get a refurbished version of a Samsung if this is your preference, otherwise a company with a small market share or a Chinese phone will be your only option.

Only just checked this thread is a month old. Oops.
To be fair I don't need that much horsepower in a phone.

If I had a choice (No money constraints) I still wouldn't look above the samsung a50, I've gotten RAM bottlenecks in day to day tasks on my lousy as $#% 2 gig Samsung j4. 4 gb RAM is more than enough, at 32 gb storage i only rarely hit storage limitations and an SD card is cheap af.

all I do is HD60fps YouTube videos about chess and/or gaming. Pics with a 21mp camera seem really good to me anyway, any more is unnecessary as I don't even take pics that often.
I'm a uni student and have Wi-Fi at home, in my dorm and at uni so 5g is not really relevant, 4g is fast enough for the occasional google maps routing.

I get why you suggested a £420 phone cos moat people call 4gb of ram "too little" and need at least 128gb storage, but I'm half a decade behind on my phone needs compared to the average consumer 😂.

Thanks for your input anyway, but my family got me a usable phone recently😅

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 94250

What about the new iPhone SE ? Even thought it's a little bit above your budget
with all due respect no IOS. also my budget cant move up, at all. thanks for the suggestion though

edit: to be clear ios aint the problem. the UI on iphones is.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
with all due respect no IOS. also my budget cant move up, at all. thanks for the suggestion though
What have you got against IOS? Have you ever used it? People that say that kind of thing tend to be fanboys who’ve never actually used it.

D

Deleted member 94250

What have you got against IOS? Have you ever used it? People that say that kind of thing tend to be fanboys who’ve never actually used it.
i have borrowed an iphone from my friend atm. its crap.

edit: sorry for the language

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
D

Deleted member 94250

I would never buy Samsung. Great hardware, useless software and updates are the latest of any manufacturer.
ive always had samsung until now, useless software hasnt been my experience. well i've never needed anything much from my phone anyway.
please review its specs :)

D

Deleted member 94250

That’ll be why. It probably riddled with issues as the software is waaaay out of date.
no issues. none at all that i can find.
i only want a decent camera, screen res, and a usable UI. samsungs UI is the best imo.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster

I have used both iOS from v1 in 2007 to right up to date on my son's.

I have used Android from about v2 right up to date.

Initially, iOS won hands down. Especially when Apple added Activesync so you could read corporate email.

The problem, for me, is that they painted themselves into a corner and nowadays that single button nature of the operating system makes a lot of tasks feel very unintuitive once you've used a modern Android.

Jaigal - I bought a Note 8 when the 10's were about to be released - so about last Feb time from memory.

I paid £300 for it and it does everything I need and then some. Take a look on Amazon for the S8 and S9's - you can also usually pick up some Samsung factory refurbished ones even cheaper. Caveat - I've just said all that without actually checking prices first!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
no issues. none at all that i can find.
i only want a decent camera, screen res, and a usable UI. samsungs UI is the best imo.

I disagree with the latter, to be honest - but I can understand where you are coming from if you're used to it.

I use the Microsoft Launcher on mine - moved over from Nova - and it is much, much cleaner and more intuitive in my honest opinion. Of course, some of the UI elements underneath are still basically Samsung.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
what do you guys think about this bad boi:-

Looks a decent spec, to be honest.

But what have Amazon done to the first pic? It is horizontally stretched!

1588700017769.png

:)

Second pic is more in proportion:

1588700048600.png

It gets decent reviews. Here's one: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/reviews/samsung-galaxy-m31-review-price-india-2187345 (for the Indian market)

D

Deleted member 94250

Looks a decent spec, to be honest.

But what have Amazon done to the first pic? It is horizontally stretched!

View attachment 15979
:)

Second pic is more in proportion:

View attachment 15980

It gets decent reviews. Here's one: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/reviews/samsung-galaxy-m31-review-price-india-2187345 (for the Indian market)
if you were a samsung boi would you get it? it's perfect in terms of budget and spec, too perfect?
but then samsung hit the jackpot with their A series before, so...