PC beeps on startup but can't see any issues. Any ideas?

My PC is doing 1 long beep and 3 short beeps on startup but there doesnt seem to be any issues, it boots as normal.
Motherboard is ASUS® PRIME B450-PLUS. The ASUS website would suggest its an error with the graphics card but it seems to be working as normal.

Any ideas?

paul1224

Can you make sure that your monitor is turned on before you boot the PC? Does it still have the beeps after that?

Well... it didn't beep that time when i just tried it, so thanks! but I'm fairly sure the monitor has been on before when it has beeped. I'll let you know if it keeps happening.

Yes it is a PCS build. Yup - see below.
Case
NZXT H511 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME B450-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok. In the Run box enter msinfo32. In the information windows that opens look down to the entry labelled 'BIOS Version/Date' and let us know what that says. That will help us confirm what those beep codes mean. :)

Ok. In the Run box enter msinfo32. In the information windows that opens look down to the entry labelled 'BIOS Version/Date' and let us know what that says. That will help us confirm what those beep codes mean. :)

"American Megatrends Inc. 2008, 06/12/2019"

It seems to have stopped happening now...typical.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
"American Megatrends Inc. 2008, 06/12/2019"

It seems to have stopped happening now...typical.
Ok. 1 long 3 short on AMI BIOS is a RAM issue.

I would suggest you pop the RAM out and then ensure they're both fully seated again. Then I'd download Memtest 86 and make a bootable USB stick with Memtest86 (this is how to make a bootable USB stick). Boot that USB stick and let Metest86 run overnight. The free version only does 4 iterations of the 13 tests but that's enough to find 98% of all RAM problems.

Ok. 1 long 3 short on AMI BIOS is a RAM issue.

I would suggest you pop the RAM out and then ensure they're both fully seated again. Then I'd download Memtest 86 and make a bootable USB stick with Memtest86 (this is how to make a bootable USB stick). Boot that USB stick and let Metest86 run overnight. The free version only does 4 iterations of the 13 tests but that's enough to find 98% of all RAM problems.

Thanks for your help.
Just so I understand...(and please excuse my naivety) should there be any beeps at all from my PC when starting? There is one very short beep that happens every time soon after pressing the button. I assumed this was normal as most machines make some sort of beep on startup.

The 1 long and 3 short beeps happen a few seconds after the very short beep and seem reproducible only when the monitor is off as Paul suggested above. When the monitor is turned on the 1 long 3 short beeps don't happen.

Would you still suggest I download and run Memtest?

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I have the 1 long beep and 3 short beeps, have had it for the past two years with my build. I’ve noticed it happens when I have my two monitors plugged into the PC, one into the Motherboard and one into the GPU, not sure if this would mean anything though

paul1224

One short beep is confirming that the checks have all been passed so is normal in my experience.

I have heard of the 1 long and 3 short beeps being linked to issues with the monitor turned off and the MOBO not being able to identify that the GPU is connected correctly. If the monitor is turned on (with single monitors anyway) the issue can go away as the monitor is 'live' so the MOBO picks up that connection and no warning beep codes are activated.

However as Ubuysa has indicated, AMI beep codes for the above indicate RAM issues not VGA issues. I have checked your manual and there is no mention of beep codes but general advice via ASUS is that 1 long beep and 3 short is a VGA/GPU issue which contradicts the usual beep codes for AMI.

Could always discuss direct with Asus and PCS as well for their guidance (I think reseating the RAM and running Memtest wouldn't hurt though as then you can explain what troubleshooting you have already done).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The 1 long and 3 short sequence means different things depending on your BIOS manufacturer, that why I asked the OP. On an Award BIOS it does indicate a graphics card issue but on an AMI BIOS it indicates a RAM issue.

One short beep is normal and that's all you should be hearing. :)

RetroDice

The 1 long and 3 short sequence means different things depending on your BIOS manufacturer, that why I asked the OP. On an Award BIOS it does indicate a graphics card issue but on an AMI BIOS it indicates a RAM issue.

One short beep is normal and that's all you should be hearing. :)
I know this is an old post but I'm also experiencing this issue as well, AMI bios and I Reseated my ram. I'm still having this issue. Beeps happen when the monitor isn't live on start-up. Tad worried since I no longer have the packaging, I still have a warranty and receipt.
Yes I'm quite worried because of the ammount of money I invested into this.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I
I know this is an old post but I'm also experiencing this issue as well, AMI bios and I Reseated my ram. I'm still having this issue. Beeps happen when the monitor isn't live on start-up. Tad worried since I no longer have the packaging, I still have a warranty and receipt.
If you create your own thread we can advise further.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Reseat the graphics card.

If this doesn't work then please create a new thread and we'll advise further. :)