17.3" VYPER - Oculus Rift S question.

Corkell

Afternoon all

I know this has been asked again and again around here but I am planning on getting a fully decked out Vyper and I would like to use my Rift S with it. Now I know that this doesn't come with a display port, however you can use the ThunderBolt 3 with that.

I called up PCS today and they said that they have just updated the chassis to the GM7MP0P at the end of April. This now means that the Thunderport is no longer hardwired to the motherboard and now is hardwired to the GPU, therefore the Rift should now work. My issue is that every post on the forum says that they can't get it working and it still wired up to the motherboard. Are PCS wrong here and do they know what they are talking about? Does anyone have a brand new Vyper 17 and tested the rift? Any info would be grand.

Thanks

GC

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Afternoon all

I know this has been asked again and again around here but I am planning on getting a fully decked out Vyper and I would like to use my Rift S with it. Now I know that this doesn't come with a display port, however you can use the ThunderBolt 3 with that.

I called up PCS today and they said that they have just updated the chassis to the GM7MP0P at the end of April. This now means that the Thunderport is no longer hardwired to the motherboard and now is hardwired to the GPU, therefore the Rift should now work. My issue is that every post on the forum says that they can't get it working and it still wired up to the motherboard. Are PCS wrong here and do they know what they are talking about? Does anyone have a brand new Vyper 17 and tested the rift? Any info would be grand.

Thanks

GC
Thunderbolt isn’t compatible with display port anyway I’m afraid, thunderbolt uses the usb c connector.

Corkell

Thunderbolt isn’t compatible with display port anyway I’m afraid, thunderbolt uses the usb c connector.

I know but I can use an adaptor Display to USB C. Currently working on my friends laptop so I know adaptors work.. just a question if they have hardwired it to the GPU or not.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know but I can use an adaptor Display to USB C
You can't though because the video isn't carried over USB C, but over thunderbolt.

The two are exclusive. A USB C connector doesn't necessarily mean it carries video. If it does it will specify "DP over USB C".

This isn't a USB C port, but thunderbolt over USB C.

To get video out, you'd need a thunderbolt to DP.

DP to USB C wouldn't work.

Regarding thunderbolt, it’s a motherboard feature that runs off the CPU chipset. It’s not reliant on GPU. It will output whichever GPU is currently active

Last edited:

Mr Blue

You've probably already placed an order by now one way or the other, but I was also wondering about the VR compatibility of the Vyper 17 and found this in a different thread:

The Thunderbolt 3 runs through whichever gpu is in use, in bios you can enable disable each manually, and I get 100+ fps in stuff on my 1440p display through tb doc, with 0% usage on the integrated gpu.

The Vyper 17 I have so far I love, yes wish it had a dp as well, however oculus uses hdmi anyhow, so that's OK, the HTC works just fine through the DP on the TB3 dock (although hardly use the HTC except for checking compatibility)

So it looks like SpyderTracks is correct, a USB-C type Thunderbolt to Display Port adapter works with a HTC, so I would assume it'll work with the new rift too :)

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
I was looking for the same info, as I'm a Rift S owner and I was afraid about incompatibility with it.
So seems I just need a USB-C type Thunderbolt 3 with female Display Port adapter.

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
It need to specifically be thunderbolt, usb c wont work.
Yep, I saw it was very specific to Thunderbolt and not a simple USB-C data adapter.
I've found on Amazon a very good one made by Cable Matters.
Before buying it I have to decide which PCS' laptop I'll purchase :LOL:
I opened a dedicated thread about that.