Cybersecurity - books and other resources

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi,

I am interested in the topic of cybersecurity and I would like to find out what books and other resources there are, e.g. videos to watch, such as documentaries.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, please.

Thank you.

Gavras

Master Poster
Hi,

I am interested in the topic of cybersecurity and I would like to find out what books and other resources there are, e.g. videos to watch, such as documentaries.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, please.

Thank you.

it’s a bit of a large topic, very multi faceted.

thats a reasonable selection to go through.

there are also some very good books on social engineering, a couple from the 1980’s.

also is it Cyber Security or information Security

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The thing about 'cybersecurity' is that it's an umbrella term for a wide variety of technical areas. To be able to secure a system or to be able to investigate a breach of a system you need to know how things work, so understanding the way the Internet works, how digital certificates work and how they are used, how the common operating systems work (Windows, Linux, Android, etc.) is pretty central. A very large percentage of the security breaches that we know about exploit vulnerabilities in the operating systems, the Internet protocols, the way digital certificates are used, etc. etc.

I'm old school, but I don't think that cybersecurity is something you can learn from the top down, except in very limited areas, it's something that has to be built from the bottom up.

The book list that @Gavras has given you looks to be an excellent staring point. I've no idea what your level of knowledge and experience is now, but if you're just starting out then learning to code is a good place to start. Python is easy to learn, free to use, and well supported by many user groups. By writing your own code and advancing to the stage where you can write (and debug) client-server or peer-to-peer systems communicating over an internet (and you can do all that with Python) you'll really begin to appreciate the multi-faceted area that cybersecurity is. :)

Last edited:

films&games

Enthusiast
it’s a bit of a large topic, very multi faceted.

thats a reasonable selection to go through.

there are also some very good books on social engineering, a couple from the 1980’s.

also is it Cyber Security or information Security

Thank you. I will have a look at the links that you have kindly provided.

I am interested in cybersecurity in general.

The thing about 'cybersecurity' is that it's an umbrella term for a wide variety of technical areas. To be able to secure a system or to be able to investigate a breach of a system you need to know how things work, so understanding the way the Internet works, how digital certificates work and how they are used, how the common operating systems work (Windows, Linux, Android, etc.) is pretty central. A very large percentage of the security breaches that we know about exploit vulnerabilities in the operating systems, the Internet protocols, the way digital certificates are used, etc. etc.

I'm old school, but I don't think that cybersecurity is something you can learn from the top down, except in very limited areas, it's something that has to be built from the bottom up.

The book list that @Gavras has given you looks to be an excellent staring point. I've no idea what your level of knowledge and experience is now, but if you're just starting out then learning to code is a good place to start. Python is easy to learn, free to use, and well supported by many user groups. By writing your own code and advancing to the stage where you can write (and debug) client-server or peer-to-peer systems communicating over an internet (and you can do all that with Python) you'll really begin to appreciate the multi-faceted area that cybersecurity is. :)

Thank you. In relation to high-level programming languages, I have experience in using Java.

When I have used a text editor to write code before, I have used Notepad ++ because it has syntax highlighting and line numbering.

Last edited:

Gavras

Master Poster
Thank you. I will have a look at the links that you have kindly provided.

I am interested in cybersecurity in general.

Thank you. In relation to high-level programming languages, I have experience in using Java.

When I have used a text editor to write code before, I have used Notepad ++ because it has syntax highlighting and line numbering.

as well as Python, have a look at C and C++. (The joys I started with Machine and Assembly).

however don’t get to coal face orientated on languages etc.

its more about standing back and looking at everything.

also read up on social engineering, securing networks from bad people is no good if they have people working inside.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
also read up on social engineering, securing networks from bad people is no good if they have people working inside.
I used to be involved in mainframe security back in the day and that statement is the truest statement ever made about security. The weakest link as far as cybersecurity is concerned is not the technology, it's the people.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I used to be involved in mainframe security back in the day and that statement is the truest statement ever made about security. The weakest link as far as cybersecurity is concerned is not the technology, it's the people.
And this is specifically how the recent Twitter jack took place, they paid off an internal admin to gain access to tools and the network.