Is the Nova 15.6" compatible with 3200 MHz memory?

Steve2

I've read a few (some a few years old) posts on the interweb stating how RAM speed has a "noticeable" (speculative) effect on Ryzen CPUs.

The Nova only comes with 2400 and 2666 MHz options so i was wondering if it can support 3200 MHz frequencies too? (e.g. i buy the RAM and install it myself once I buy the laptop). I'm not *too* bothered if it cannot as laptops don't seem to go this high in general and PCS is already ahead in terms of config.

Thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've read a few (some a few years old) posts on the interweb stating how RAM speed has a "noticeable" (speculative) effect on Ryzen CPUs.

The Nova only comes with 2400 and 2666 MHz options so i was wondering if it can support 3200 MHz frequencies too? (e.g. i buy the RAM and install it myself once I buy the laptop). I'm not *too* bothered if it cannot as laptops don't seem to go this high in general and PCS is already ahead in terms of config.

Thanks.
It’s a modified B450 motherboard in the Nova so there’s no reason why it wouldn’t handle 3200mhz

Steve2

Hi Spydertracks. Thanks for the info and super quick response. This is reassuring indeed.

One final and hopefully simple question, how limited (if at all) is the BIOS on the Nova? I'm purchasing without windows so I assume its going to have at least boot option capabilities, but if I need to enable XMP for example (which might be required), am I able to do this?

I only ask because I've read various posts on PCS forum (mostly off topic) that hint at or lead me to assume a basic or limited BIOS configuration (i think for older models though). Either way, I'd rather not assume, and get my info right.

Thanks again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Spydertracks. Thanks for the info and super quick response. This is reassuring indeed.

One final and hopefully simple question, how limited (if at all) is the BIOS on the Nova? I'm purchasing without windows so I assume its going to have at least boot option capabilities, but if I need to enable XMP for example (which might be required), am I able to do this?

I only ask because I've read various posts on PCS forum (mostly off topic) that hint at or lead me to assume a basic or limited BIOS configuration (i think for older models though). Either way, I'd rather not assume, and get my info right.

Thanks again.
I couldn’t say, we’d need someone with a Nova to comment on that, let me just search for some people and include them here, one sec.

@mrlip @fevieira are you able to comment on the BIOS capabilities on the nova?

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
The BIOS options are very limited. There’s no option to set RAM speeds or timings. There is a boot manager as usual so you can configure boot priorities easily.

I believe you would need a 3rd party unlocked BIOS to allow XMP profiles to be changed.And if you flashed this type of BIOS it would void your PCS warranty

Steve2

OK thanks you for the clarification mrlip.

I probably wont bother as it doesn't really seem worth while.

I appreciate you stopping by to add to the discussion, and thank you both.

Cheers,
Steve.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Regarding XMP, for now we don't have it in the BIOS and there is no confirmation that we'll ever get it. You could always use Ryzen Master to tune your memory though, but that is a tedious process. I've seen a youtube video of a guy in Germany that got his Corsair 2600Mhz to work as 3200 with this same chassis using Ryzen Master. The most recent BIOS released a couple of weeks ago added the clock and voltage tuning for the CPU, but the steps are quite high and I actually don't use it (I'm using Zen States for now).

I'm currently running 3200Mhz memory, but on single channel. I cannot confirm yet if dual channel is going to work, but I think there should be no reason why not. I bought 2 memory chips, but was unlucky enough to have one defective (doesn't boot even on single channel) and I'm on the process of RMA'ing it back to Crucial to get a replacement. So I don't think I'll have a confirmation for you on the next 15-20 days.

The advice I got was to go for RAM that follows JEDEC specification, in this case 1.2V 3200Mhz CL22.

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
I did ask PCS this question before ordering my Nova as a future upgrade question and the answer was no, 2666mhz was the max the mobo could take. If it can do faster then that would be a nice bonus.

FerrariVie

Super Star
I did ask PCS this question before ordering my Nova as a future upgrade question and the answer was no, 2666mhz was the max the mobo could take. If it can do faster then that would be a nice bonus.
After I saw the video showing how to tune the Corsair Vengeance memory and showing that it could run at 3200 on this chassis, I actually regret not getting it in the first place. I know it could be better to use native 3200 memory instead of overclocking the ram, but I still don't know if the native is going to work fully. I'm actually waiting for that dual-channel confirmation to create my review of my Nova, which is quite an unusual build :p

Steve2

After I saw the video showing how to tune the Corsair Vengeance memory and showing that it could run at 3200 on this chassis, I actually regret not getting it in the first place. I know it could be better to use native 3200 memory instead of overclocking the ram, but I still don't know if the native is going to work fully. I'm actually waiting for that dual-channel confirmation to create my review of my Nova, which is quite an unusual build :p

So you're running single channel (temporarily) 3200 MHz memory? Out of curiosity did you flash the BIOS to get it to work at these speeds as mrlip suggests or were you saying you used Ryzen Master to achieve this? Interesting titbit on the overclocking.

Thanks for sharing this. I'll most likely go with the 2666 and be happy that i can customise the thing at all :p

FerrariVie

Super Star
So you're running single channel (temporarily) 3200 MHz memory? Out of curiosity did you flash the BIOS to get it to work at these speeds as mrlip suggests or were you saying you used Ryzen Master to achieve this? Interesting titbit on the overclocking.

Thanks for sharing this. I'll most likely go with the 2666 and be happy that i can customise the thing at all :p
I'm running natively with 3200mhz memory, no overclock needed. The bios update was to solve the screen brightness problem, nothing to do with memory. As I said, I cannot fully confirm that dual channel is going to work with native 3200 memory, but with single channel (one memory chip) CL22 it is working:

1600201990411.png

(1600Mhz x 2 = 3200Mhz)

Overclocking memory is not easy, but can be fun if you're up for the task. Lots of research and trial and error needed, but even though XMP and memory tuning is not available on the BIOS, at least we know that the latter is possible by software.

In case dual channel works for me, I'm going to try memory tuning as well, but in this case to lower latency, not to overclock frequencies.

Last edited:

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
PCS currently don't really provide you with any info on RAM compatibility. There is a reddit thread by another reseller in which they list all the 3200MHZ sticks that will work with this chassis out of the box. I can pm you a link if you like. Dual channel will work just fine but NH series laptops do not support XMP (Nova is a NH55AFW chassis)

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
PCS currently don't really provide you with any info on RAM compatibility. There is a reddit thread by another reseller in which they list all the 3200MHZ sticks that will work with this chassis out of the box. I can pm you a link if you like. Dual channel will work just fine but NH series laptops do not support XMP (Nova is an NH55AFW chassis)
I came across that as well, but the problem is that all the Crucial memories that they list there are not available anymore as they were delisted. The part numbers are different now, that is why I'm not 100% sure yet. But fingers crossed!

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
There is another megathread on notebook review with a lot of mentions of the crucial memories. Maybe you will be able to find more info there about your situation? I can PM the link

FerrariVie

Super Star
@fevieira Thanks for that clarification - and the PM link, I might just give it a go after all.
Funny coincidence, my Crucial Balistix (2x 8GB pack) for my desktop build some years back also had a faulty stick that needed to be RMA'd.
Good to know! I thought faulty memory did not exist and I was the most unlucky person of the planet :ROFLMAO: Really, never had issues with memory before. At least it was a good thing that one chip was working, or else I would have blamed the motherboard for incompatibility and forget about 3200 memory.

Crucial's support is actually good. The webchat is really quick (never waited for more than 10 seconds) and after a few back and forth emails, I actually got them to allow me to return just one chip for replacement (even though they were part of a kit) and they're paying both shipments.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good to know! I thought faulty memory did not exist and I was the most unlucky person of the planet :ROFLMAO: Really, never had issues with memory before. At least it was a good thing that one chip was working, or else I would have blamed the motherboard for incompatibility and forget about 3200 memory.

Crucial's support is actually good. The webchat is really quick (never waited for more than 10 seconds) and after a few back and forth emails, I actually got them to allow me to return just one chip for replacement (even though they were part of a kit) and they're paying both shipments.
Crucial are brilliant, always have been, but always worth buying something like RAM from Amazon if you can find it there as their returns policy is simply the best.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Crucial are brilliant, always have been, but always worth buying something like RAM from Amazon if you can find it there as their returns policy is simply the best.
I think it was out of stock on Amazon and I also thought that Crucial's return policy would be better, as they promise 45 days refund, no questions asked (even though I probably would need to pay for the return shipment if asking for a refund).

Steve2

Exact same experience here. Excelent service from Crucial from start to finish. Though personally I'm not the kind of consumer to "stick with" a specific brand - more the opposite, avoid the ones from bad experiences.