new google pixel phones

• Thread starter Deleted member 41971
  • Start date

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

and other news on googles new product launch event

Am I missing something? Apart from the 90Hz screen and slightly bigger battery, 2Gb RAM, and water resistance (which is a fairly useless gimick) I can't see any particular reason for the $200 increase over the 4a 5g?

Never been a particular fan of the Pixel range must admit, but does seem a bit odd even for them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 41971

Am I missing something? Apart from the 90Hz screen and slightly bigger battery, 2Gb RAM, and water resistance (which is a fairly useless gimick) I can't see any particular reason for the $200 increase over the 4a 5g?

Never been a particular fan of the Pixel range must admit, but does seem a bit odd even for them.

Miner tinkering as many new relases are, normally people are better off upgrading in 3 or 4 gens time

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Miner tinkering as many new relases are, normally people are better off upgrading in 3 or 4 gens time
Usually minor increments will be done at the same pricepoint, that's expected and understandable, but they're charging $200 more for this incremental upgrade, can't see that being particularly successful.

Stephen M

Author Level
What were are/were Google phones like, any good? Being very concerned about security and spyware just the name put me off ever trying one. Perhaps they were OK but not really good advertising to say: "Our phones do not spy on you, unlike our search engine."

FerrariVie

Super Star

you forgot the plastic back on the 4a and aluminium on the 5 :rolleyes:

Google has a promotion right now in the UK and Ireland (and a couple more EU countries) where you pre-order a pixel 5 for €618 and get a bose wireless QC35 II headphones for free. It is a very good deal to whoever wants a new pair of headphones, as they alone cost €350 on bose's website and around £230 on amazon.

EDIT: Pixel 4a 5G is also applicable for the bose promotion as well. ;)

I have a pixel 3a XL myself and bought it for the camera, software experience and price. If I buy any other android phone today at that €600 price-point (excluding pixels), I'm still going to keep the 3a to use when I'm travelling, as the GPS and the cameras on this phone are amazing and can't be beaten even on that price. My wife has a galaxy s10 plus 5g and my photos look better 90% of the time and the GPS also works a lot better. However, the 3a is bothering me on the storage size (the 64Gb are almost gone and I don't even have any game installed, just apps) and the RAM (4gb), as android keeps shutting down apps that should be kept in the background, just because it's running short on RAM. So I would not recommend getting an android phone with 6Gb of RAM right now if you want to keep your phone for more than 2 years. 1 and a half years ago, I thought that 64Gb+4Gb was going to be enough for 2+ years, but it's now already showing it's age.

Last edited: