Windows Recovery Media?

Wildnomad

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there,

I have noticed the machine I have configured comes with a Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image. I assume this is for when/if you want to do a fresh install of windows 10? Does it come on the hard drive or is it on a usb/CD; and how do you use it?

Cheers
Mike.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi there,

I have noticed the machine I have configured comes with a Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image. I assume this is for when/if you want to do a fresh install of windows 10? Does it come on the hard drive or is it on a usb/CD; and how do you use it?

Cheers
Mike.
You wouldn’t use it as it would be out of date. Just download the latest image direct from Microsoft here if you need to reinstall:

ProEnigma

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks Spydertracks,

What is it for in that case?
It's used for doing a fresh install of windows OS, on a new HDD/SSD, it's not limited to just fresh installs, it can be used to help fix problems if the inbuilt fix tool asks for the image, it's a copy of the Operating system this being Windows 10, you'll need a licence key but I believe PCS have the licence key coded to the BIOS of the motherbord.

Wildnomad

Bronze Level Poster
It's used for doing a fresh install of windows OS, on a new HDD/SSD, it's not limited to just fresh installs, it can be used to help fix problems if the inbuilt fix tool asks for the image, it's a copy of the Operating system this being Windows 10, you'll need a licence key but I believe PCS have the licence key coded to the BIOS of the motherbord.
Thanks ProEnigma.

So is usually supplied on separate media (i.e. USB) or installed on the hard drive? Also, my system would be overclocked. If I were to do a fresh install of windows 10 would it delete the overclocking capabilities of the processor.... and yes, I have no idea how overclocking works. I think it may have something to do with the bios settings?

ProEnigma

Bronze Level Poster
I am guessing you have this

Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

If thats the case, then it will be in the downloads section of my account under tech support tab, But as @SpyderTracks said, it really is better to download it from the microsoft website, so that you will have the most upto date version of windows, this can be done in the link below, you will Create Windows 10 installation media to a UBS drive all information on that drive will be deleted when making the image, so be carful of that. it also has instructions on how to do it in that link. but again make sure you have the windows licence key I believe it's hard coded in to the BIOS on the motherbord with PCS, this is something I would check,

As for the overclocking, thats not something I know alot about, I believe it should still keep it's overclock as thats stored in the BIOS, but after doing a fresh windows install this may change if the overclock is stable or not, again I can't stress enough that when i comes to overclocking, I'm really not the person to had out advice, as I know little about it

Wildnomad

Bronze Level Poster
I am guessing you have this

Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

If thats the case, then it will be in the downloads section of my account under tech support tab, But as @SpyderTracks said, it really is better to download it from the microsoft website, so that you will have the most upto date version of windows, this can be done in the link below, you will Create Windows 10 installation media to a UBS drive all information on that drive will be deleted when making the image, so be carful of that. it also has instructions on how to do it in that link. but again make sure you have the windows licence key I believe it's hard coded in to the BIOS on the motherbord with PCS, this is something I would check,

As for the overclocking, thats not something I know alot about, I believe it should still keep it's overclock as thats stored in the BIOS, but after doing a fresh windows install this may change if the overclock is stable or not, again I can't stress enough that when i comes to overclocking, I'm really not the person to had out advice, as I know little about it

Thanks ProEngine :)

Wildnomad

Bronze Level Poster
The overclock is done at a BIOS level which is a lower level and separate to windows, a reinstall wouldn't affect the BIOS at all.
Thanks Spidertracks!!!

Do you know if I would need the license key to reinstall windows 10 or does it automatically recognise it? Some say you need it, others say you don't.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks Spydertracks,

What is it for in that case?
It's required to be sent to you by Microsoft I believe, in any case if you didn't have Internet access then that DVD would be the only way you could reinstall Windows.
Thanks Spidertracks!!!

Do you know if I would need the license key to reinstall windows 10 or does it automatically recognise it? Some say you need it, others say you don't.
If you buy a copy of Windows with the PC (an OEM version) then it will automatically activate based on a code the vendor (PCS) burn into the BIOS. If you buy a copy of Windows yourself from Microsoft (a retail version) then there will be a product key on the box.