Nova 15.6" CPU Compatibility

jeffb0918

Hi all!
I am basically considering getting a Nova 15.6" but am a bit uncertain about the CPU I should go with. I have seen it listed with all kinds of CPUs, from the 3100, 3300X, 3600, 3700X, 3900, and 3950X. I know that all of the Zen 2 CPUs are in principle using the same AM4 socket, but for instance, I never saw or heard of the Nova 15.6" being paired with say, the 3800x, 3900X, or 3600X, or any of the newer XT series CPUs. I'd think that cooling is not the issue, since you can find similar chassis from other vendors offering a system with the 3950X in Eco-mode, as such, I'd think using a 3900X in Eco-mode would also be possible, cooling-wise.

So, I am wondering if this is an inherent BIOS limitation? Like maybe those other CPUs are not programmed in the BIOS to be recognized? Or would I be able to, say, get a Nova 15.6" configured with a 3700X now, and then slot in a 3900X or 3950X later down the line if I maybe find something for cheap in the used market or something?
Thanks!

FerrariVie

Super Star
Hi all!
I am basically considering getting a Nova 15.6" but am a bit uncertain about the CPU I should go with. I have seen it listed with all kinds of CPUs, from the 3100, 3300X, 3600, 3700X, 3900, and 3950X. I know that all of the Zen 2 CPUs are in principle using the same AM4 socket, but for instance, I never saw or heard of the Nova 15.6" being paired with say, the 3800x, 3900X, or 3600X, or any of the newer XT series CPUs. I'd think that cooling is not the issue, since you can find similar chassis from other vendors offering a system with the 3950X in Eco-mode, as such, I'd think using a 3900X in Eco-mode would also be possible, cooling-wise.

So, I am wondering if this is an inherent BIOS limitation? Like maybe those other CPUs are not programmed in the BIOS to be recognized? Or would I be able to, say, get a Nova 15.6" configured with a 3700X now, and then slot in a 3900X or 3950X later down the line if I maybe find something for cheap in the used market or something?
Thanks!
The reason why you don't see other options is because of the TDP. This chassis was designed to handle 65W TDP max and the reason is indeed because of cooling and thermal solutions. It is compatible with all zen2 CPUs, but they need to be running at 65W TDP. So assuming that you'll use the 105W in eco-mode (65W), they might work on the Nova. But why would you get a 3600x and run it in eco-mode while you could have gotten a 3600 (65W standard) and still have more performance for a cheaper price? It makes no sense to me, however it might make sense on the 3950X if high-core count is really important to you. On gaming, 3700x (not eco-mode) will also give you better performance than a 3900x and 3950x on eco-mode for most games.

I've seen a lot of cases around the internet (even youtube reviews) of people with the 3900X and 3950X on this same chassis (from other resellers), if you search a bit you'll be able to find. However, what I find weird is that my 3100 doesn't show the option for eco-mode on Ryzen Master, so I'm not sure if it's something regarding my CPU or it's disabled on PCS' BIOS. So let's wait to see if people with R5 or R7 are able to confirm if they can set their CPUs to eco-mode with the PCS Nova.

Last edited:

jeffb0918

The reason why you don't see other options is because of the TDP. This chassis was designed to handle 65W TDP max and the reason is indeed because of cooling and thermal solutions. It is compatible with all zen2 CPUs, but they need to be running at 65W TDP. So assuming that you'll use the 105W in eco-mode (65W), they might work on the Nova. But why would you get a 3600x and run it in eco-mode while you could have gotten a 3600 (65W standard) and still have more performance for a cheaper price? It makes no sense to me, however it might make sense on the 3950X if high-core count is really important to you. On gaming, 3700x will also give you better performance than a 3900x and 3950x on eco-mode for most games.

I've seen a lot of cases around the internet (even youtube reviews) of people with the 3900X and 3950X on this same chassis (from other resellers), if you search a bit you'll be able to find. However, what I find weird is that my 3100 doesn't show the option for eco-mode on Ryzen Master, so I'm not sure if it's something regarding my CPU or it's disabled on PCS' BIOS. So let's wait to see if people with R5 or R7 are able to confirm if they can set their CPUs to eco-mode with the PCS Nova.

Thank you for the reply!
I see, that makes sense indeed. I will try and search for those you mentioned online, maybe I missed them because they are all under different model names (considering that they are from different resellers). I have seen 3950X and 3900, but never seen the 3900X ones. I am just more inclined towards finding a higher-end used CPU instead of buying new with the laptop, as I can make use of the core count for my computational work. Since the new generation is coming soon, the last-gen CPUs will probably start appearing in the used market and maybe prices will drop a bit, so I'd think that's a good opportunity for me to snag a high core count CPU for the laptop. But I think it could work just fine if it is not limited by the BIOS itself.

As for the eco-mode, you do need to have PBO enabled to have that option, but I think your 3100 is low TDP enough that it doesn't have the eco-mode option anymore. From my understanding, in eco-mode, any CPU above 65W TDP will be limited to 65W, and any 65W TDP CPU will be limited to 45W. So, maybe yours is already at a lower TDP than any of those. I also couldn't find the 3100 listed on the official eco-mode supported CPU list from AMD.

FerrariVie

Super Star
As for the eco-mode, you do need to have PBO enabled to have that option, but I think your 3100 is low TDP enough that it doesn't have the eco-mode option anymore. From my understanding, in eco-mode, any CPU above 65W TDP will be limited to 65W, and any 65W TDP CPU will be limited to 45W. So, maybe yours is already at a lower TDP than any of those. I also couldn't find the 3100 listed on the official eco-mode supported CPU list from AMD.
You might be right regarding the 3100 not having eco-mode, however I expected all 65W TDP zen2 cpus (like the 3100) to have it, as it could be beneficial to run at 45W sometimes. For now, I'm undervolting and underclocking manually on Ryzen Master when I want the laptop to be completely silent, even when browsing. Then I change the profile to a slight 1 CCX overclock when gaming

Regarding the PBO, while the BIOS lacks any kind of configuration apart from underclocking and undervolting, the PBO should be on auto by default, as I can use that on Ryzen Master if I want to.

Last edited:

AidTra

Hello Fevieira! I'm looking at ordering a laptop very similar to yours, How do you find the Ryzen 3? Do you use your laptop for demanding games ?

FerrariVie

Super Star
Hello Fevieira! I'm looking at ordering a laptop very similar to yours, How do you find the Ryzen 3? Do you use your laptop for demanding games ?
Hey @AidTra , I do think that the 3600 is the better option, however if you have budget constraints (like me) and have to choose between 3600+2060 or 3100+2070, assuming that your usage will be mainly for gaming, I would go for 3100+2070 (as I did 😜 and don't regret it).

My line of thought was: The CPU can always be upgraded in the future and the GPU can't. Also, the RTX 2070 is a very capable GPU and will still be for the next 2 years at least, so while you can keep games at ultra/very high settings, the CPU won't have much influence on FPS.

However, when games start to get very demanding for the 2070 and you start needing to lower graphical settings, that's when the CPU starts to make a difference. When that moment comes, it will be the same time that I'll replace the 3100 by a 3700x. But I only expect that to happen in a couple of years.

Right now, I can play RDR2 with 60-70 FPS with the game's default ultra settings (not changing anything on the advanced tab) at 1080 (I don't have an external monitor), and if I change that to ultra/high (a few settings changed to high instead of ultra, keeping some others in ultra), then I can play at around 80-100 FPS.

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
A bit late, but if its intresting I get about 75-90 FPS with the game´s defualt settings (advanced tab locked) with my nova. CPU 3900, same GPU, 2666MHz 2x16 RAM
I guess it depends on the weather and location? Yesterday I was constantly reaching mid-high 80s in sunny weather. But 90s are definitely not common for me with those settings.

I'll have a look at the advanced tab, I don't remember if I changed something there :rolleyes: