RTX 3080

AnthWolf

I'm a bit after you all in your orders, ordered my desktop on the 30-10 and just hit the 20 Working Day Production Time.

With all the talk of PSU stocks I did give PCS a ring on Thursday and see how my order was looking and apart from the standard 3080 everything was in-stock.
I am only going for a 750RMx though so I hopefully it'll just be a few more weeks, depending on the next influx of GPUs they receive.

As a side note, the guy on the phone was pretty relaxed and happy to have me chase my order. Took a good while to get through but seemed genuine and told me I was welcome to get in touch whenever and that more 3080 'should' be in early December.

Least the line is moving, slowly but surely!

Boomer

Bronze Level Poster
Great to read that the 3080 queue is progressing.

I am curious ... what is the first game you are going to play to demonstrate the full awesomeness of your new rig. I am currently playing RDR2 on a GTX930 and am expecting a significant improvement.

Little_Miss_Naughty

Bronze Level Poster
Great to read that the 3080 queue is progressing.

I am curious ... what is the first game you are going to play to demonstrate the full awesomeness of your new rig. I am currently playing RDR2 on a GTX930 and am expecting a significant improvement.
Will be playing AC Valhalla in glorious 4K. Then need to finish off Resident Evil 7 and RDR2 off before starting anything else.

I’m going from an almost 7 year old Vortex IV with a AMD 8970M 4GB. Had a laptop for university years so it was easier to transport as I studied 250 miles away from home. Those days long gone.

kiebla

When did you place your order ? I'm trying to not think about how long my build is taking, but I come on here most days to check to see how other people are getting on with orders.
Currently on 43 working days ... fingers crossed I get it before Christmas!! Was hoping to have it before Cyberpunk
I placed mine 22/09/2020, its in testing atm, and has been for last 2 days, all you can do is hope :).

SgtSprog

Great to see people are getting their systems and are excited about them, I put buying my system off all year to wait for the new RTX to come out.
It’s a shame that we have to wait so long but I am really looking forward to playing my games not in LOW settings 😊

Boomer

Bronze Level Poster
Niche question here for the chip geeks ...

From reading various media reports, I noticed that both the 3090 and 3080 have 28 billion transistors. Which seemed initially odd as as they have different specs

3090 3080
CUDA Cores 10,496 8,704
Tensor Cores 328 272
Memory Bus 384-bit 320-bit

All of the cores take up physical space on the chip, as does a wider bus. Therefore the 3080 should have fewer transistors than the 3090.

So, is the 3080 a nerfed 3090 (i.e. some of the cores are disabled)?

I know it is not uncommon in semiconductor manufacturing to have two variants from one chip die, as it means that one wafer can produce both types of chips. It may also help with Samsung's 8nm yield issues as failed 3090's might still be passable as 3080's (i.e. more than 8,704 CUDA cores work, but fewer than 10,496).

The 3070 is 17 billion transistors which given it has "only" 5,888 CUDA cores makes sense.

Thoughts?

kiebla

Mines been in testing since Thursday afternoon. Ordered a standard 3080 build on the 21/9.....Zotac 3080 🤔. Its been a long and winding road!
1606727876842.png

Got this message ahhhhhh! haha

ThatGuy11200

I decided to try to get an RTX 3080 elsewhere so I removed the ASUS card from my order on Friday. I signed up to Stock Informer and was able to order an MSI card early on Saturday morning, to be delivered this Friday. My order is now in building. I ordered on 8th October.

anybody had a asus 3080 go into testing recently on 51 working days everything is in stock apart from the gpu, starting to take the piss now

Little_Miss_Naughty

Bronze Level Poster
anybody had a asus 3080 go into testing recently on 51 working days everything is in stock apart from the gpu, starting to take the piss now
Ghosthud (PCS staff) posted a few days ago that they were struggling to get stock of the ASUS cards and they may not get them until January/February.

I’ve changed my card to the standard, no it’s not what I wanted but I can’t be waiting any longer really.

I’m also on 51 pre-production days.

wow really i rang up the other day and they didn't even mention that to me, literally had no information whatsoever pretty poor form to be honest could of at least told me the situation then i could of made the choice to change or not

Little_Miss_Naughty

Bronze Level Poster
wow really i rang up the other day and they didn't even mention that to me, literally had no information whatsoever pretty poor form to be honest could of at least told me the situation then i could of made the choice to change or not
I had exactly the same experience on the phone. There does need to be better communication.

Stevewtw

Bronze Level Poster
That's interesting. I ordered a ASUS 3080 system on 4th Oct (also upgraded to 5900x) and when I called them this morning, I was told to expect delivery within 7-12 working days and it would definetely be before xmas. But.... I'm still in pre-production status and has been for 41 working days.