No Nvida Geforce RTX 3080 available - Best alternative suggestion that is actually in stock?

JudoCol

I ordered a PC in November, my son wanted a 10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, I explained the risks about it not possibly being ready in time, he is obviously gutted, and does not wish to wait any longer, what is the best alternative card to this one that he could go for at the moment? He will then upgrade when new cards become available.

Kind regards

JudoCol

He's already missed Christmas. Teach him some patience and tell good things comes to those who wait🤐
Thank you for the response, I was asking what was the best alternative, he ordered in the beginning of November, it's not an unreasonable request to ask the most powerful available alternative.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Thank you for the response, I was asking what was the best alternative, he ordered in the beginning of November, it's not an unreasonable request to ask the most powerful available alternative.
Fair enough. But no one here works for PCS so we don't know what they do and don't have at any given time. You need to email or ring them.

But I really wouldn't abandon the wait now, I'd wager you've only got a couple of weeks left to wait. If it's the strix at least ring them and change it to the regular. Or failing that a 6800xt.

What monitor does he have?

JudoCol

Fair enough. But no one here works for PCS so we don't know what they do and don't have at any given time. You need to email or ring them.

But I really wouldn't abandon the wait now, I'd wager you've only got a couple of weeks left to wait. If it's the strix at least ring them and change it to the regular. Or failing that a 6800xt.

What monitor does he have?
Thank you, I have emailed them, no response. The montor he has bought is the ASUS ROG 27" 144mhz curved gaming monitor.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Basically all the good cards right now involve a wait. There is no viable equivalent alternative without dropping right down. And with that monitor you want a good card.

Gavras

Master Poster
Choices are.

if Strix change to normal 3080
wait for another month Or so.
drop down to a 3070 which goes great with 1440, 3080 more aimed at 4K.
moving to AMD version of 3080, is likely similar wait.

JudoCol

Choices are.

if Strix change to normal 3080
wait for another month Or so.
drop down to a 3070 which goes great with 1440, 3080 more aimed at 4K.
moving to AMD version of 3080, is likely similar wait.
Thank you, that's really helpful. It's a normal Nvidia 10GB 3080. I am going to ring tomorrow and see if they can tell me what is available.

Gavras

Master Poster
Thank you, that's really helpful. It's a normal Nvidia 10GB 3080. I am going to ring tomorrow and see if they can tell me what is available.
There is a dedicated 3080 thread on the forum, just follow the Bleating (or look for the Shepherds )

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This might give you an idea what's happening with 3080

Gavras

Master Poster
This might give you an idea what's happening with 3080

Cheers lol, it was find the thread or get another rum

actually this shows how poo it all is.

Be closed tommorow
Saturday
(Boxing Day)
Closed
Holiday opening hours
Sunday Closed
Tuesday 9am–8pm
Wednesday 9am–8pm
Thursday 9am–8pm
Friday
(New Year's Day)
Closed
According to google account. if I was in your position having orderd in november I would honestly wait even the amd equivalent will be await aswell I know its hard cos hes disappointed but hang on in there wont matter when it arrives :)

Boomer

Bronze Level Poster
I ordered a PC in November, my son wanted a 10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, I explained the risks about it not possibly being ready in time, he is obviously gutted, and does not wish to wait any longer, what is the best alternative card to this one that he could go for at the moment? He will then upgrade when new cards become available.

Kind regards
I ordered about the same time, and have also looked through the options.

It may also depend on which is the most important part of your question. Is equivalence more important than availability?

6800XT is the AMD equivalent. As other's have indicated, there is a queue for that too.

2070 will run 1440p but at lower graphics settings than the 3080. It is available now (on Amazon at least). You can always upgrade later (next year’s Xmas present?) when we will be awash with 3080s.

The queue for the 3090 appears to be shorter. We have seen some jump to that queue and get their PCs built in short order. However, the 3090 costs another £900 on top of the 3080. That was too much for me.

So I am happily tucked into the queue ... hoping for a delivery by the end of January (not that long now).

:)

Attachments

• 4rrexs.jpg
    4rrexs.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 206

Durakus

Bronze Level Poster
As said, there's a 3080 thread already, I'd suggest waiting a bit longer. If you ordered in November, expect late January/February. Also keep an ear out for possible supply changes.

The reason I say wait, is because older alternative cards ARE VERY EXPENSIVE STILL for what they do. the Older series cards were not a serious upgrade and they are still highly expensive. Even the previous generation the 1080 (Which you can't really get your hands on so easily.) is s till over £600 and its 4 years old.

I recognise that you may want to rush it, but I say wait to get your money's worth. If it's absolutely Imperitive, then you will be looking at the 20 series cards (Over priced for performance), or an RTX 3070(Which is still gonna be sold out)

I suspect there will be a small boost of 3080,s after the christmas holiday as the majority of the chinese population do not celebrate it and will work through it possibily allowing for some breathing room especially with zotac branded cards tho thats just a theory

Gavras

Master Poster
I suspect there will be a small boost of 3080,s after the christmas holiday as the majority of the chinese population do not celebrate it and will work through it possibily allowing for some breathing room especially with zotac branded cards tho thats just a theory
Possibly, however then 12th February everything nose dives.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Chinese New Year, the entire nation closed for a month through January. There is zero production over this time.