RGB Fan

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
IMO you want as linear an airflow as you can get, that's what will shift the most heat. My worry with bunging fans in here and there is that you create a chaotic airflow which doesn't move anywhere near as much heat. More fans is not automatically better - a linear airflow is.
Thanks, @ubuysa. My brain wants to understand the physics of fluid dynamics and positive vs negative pressure in relation to airflow but I've never been able to fully wrap my head around it... I need one of those Star Trek style explanations where they'd come up with a complicated plan and then explain it with a simple analogy :D

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks, @ubuysa. My brain wants to understand the physics of fluid dynamics and positive vs negative pressure in relation to airflow but I've never been able to fully wrap my head around it... I need one of those Star Trek style explanations where they'd come up with a complicated plan and then explain it with a simple analogy :D
Turn on a water tap very slowly so the water is just trickling out. As you slowly turn the tap on a bit or off a bit the strength of the water stream varies proportionally with the turning of the tap - because the flow of water is linear. Now turn the tap on until the water ceases to flow in a nice even stream and starts to gush out. If you adjust the tap on a bit or off a bit the change in the flow of the water is no longer proportional to the turning of the tap - because the flow of water is chaotic. (It's chaotic because of turbulence created in the pipe and the tap).

In a linear system there is a direct relationship between inputs and outputs.
In a chaotic system there is not, small changes in input can produce large changes in output and vice-versa.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Turn on a water tap very slowly so the water is just trickling out. As you slowly turn the tap on a bit or off a bit the strength of the water stream varies proportionally with the turning of the tap - because the flow of water is linear. Now turn the tap on until the water ceases to flow in a nice even stream and starts to gush out. If you adjust the tap on a bit or off a bit the change in the flow of the water is no longer proportional to the turning of the tap - because the flow of water is chaotic. (It's chaotic because of turbulence created in the pipe and the tap).

In a linear system there is a direct relationship between inputs and outputs.
In a chaotic system there is not, small changes in input can produce large changes in output and vice-versa.
tenor.gif

You just took me to school, dear friend...

Gavras

Master Poster
As above, thermals will naturally create their own flow assisted by the main case fans.

Cool air in from Front, hot / warm air out of the rear and / or top.

When you put another fan in, especially if it is blowing inside the case only, as in not an input fan or an exhaust fan (suck), then it simply disturbs the thermal air flow.

Worst case, the cool air from front of case is ‘pushed’ either up to the exhaust fans or slight rear to the rear exhaust fan.

This would then mean no cool air being allowed to help with natural circulation, you know stuff from school, warm air rises colder air falls.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
As above, thermals will naturally create their own flow assisted by the main case fans.

Cool air in from Front, hot / warm air out of the rear and / or top.

When you put another fan in, especially if it is blowing inside the case only, as in not an input fan or an exhaust fan (suck), then it simply disturbs the thermal air flow.

Worst case, the cool air from front of case is ‘pushed’ either up to the exhaust fans or slight rear to the rear exhaust fan.

This would then mean no cool air being allowed to help with natural circulation, you know stuff from school, warm air rises colder air falls.
That I understand, I've modified a system or two in my time. Like I said, it's more the actual physics side of it interests me.

Gavras

Master Poster
That I understand, I've modified a system or two in my time. Like I said, it's more the actual physics side of it interests me.
Trust me as someone that has taught Waveguide theory and the maths for Inertial Navigation, thermals are pretty straight forward.

Remember though, air can be compressed whereas fluids don’t really do that, also air / gas will fill all of an area, fluids need persuaded as they will not naturally do it.

Put a litre of water in a fish tank, it sits at the bottom, put in the same volume of air in to a tank different matter.

Comparison between liquids and air works only so far, then physics takes over.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Trust me as someone that has taught Waveguide theory and the maths for Inertial Navigation, thermals are pretty straight forward.

Remember though, air can be compressed whereas fluids don’t really do that, also air / gas will fill all of an area, fluids need persuaded as they will not naturally do it.

Put a litre of water in a fish tank, it sits at the bottom, put in the same volume of air in to a tank different matter.

'Put a litre of water in a fish tank, it'll feed a fish for a day. Teach a fish how to make a litre of water and OH MY GOD THEY'RE SELF AWARE NOW AND HAVE A WORKING KNOWLEDGE OF CHEMISTRY, RUUUUUNNN!'

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

That's down to density and viscosity though isn't it?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
lets not get into the combined gas laws....

Gavras

Master Poster
That's down to density and viscosity though isn't it?
Erm sort of.

it’s down to a gas having a large intermolecular space and weak attraction force at a molecular level, this coupled with moving around quicker, which creates uniform pressure.

a liquid (and varies between liquids) has strong attraction and very small intermolecular space, this of course changes if a liquid is heated as it breaks down bonds etc.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Erm sort of.

it’s down to a gas having a large intermolecular space and weak attraction force at a molecular level, this coupled with moving around quicker, which creates uniform pressure.
Isn't 'large intermolecular space and weak attraction' the same as low density (mass per unit volume) and 'moving around quicker' low viscosity (resistance to deformation)?
a liquid (and varies between liquids) has strong attraction and very small intermolecular space, this of course changes if a liquid is heated as it breaks down bonds etc.
And isn't 'strong attraction and very small intermolecular space' high density - which reduces as the liquid is heated?

Gavras

Master Poster
Isn't 'large intermolecular space and weak attraction' the same as low density (mass per unit volume) and 'moving around quicker' low viscosity (resistance to deformation)?

And isn't 'strong attraction and very small intermolecular space' high density - which reduces as the liquid is heated?

just go with Yes.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Sorry for asking, guys. I didn't know it'd open a can of thermal worms and should've maintained my 'ignorance is bliss' policy 😶

Gavras

Master Poster
Sorry for asking, guys. I didn't know it'd open a can of thermal worms and should've maintained my 'ignorance is bliss' policy 😶
Lol I am avoiding bits on shearing and the fact liquids and gas react opposite to each other when heated.

Simple answers tend to lead to other questions lol.

’Mummy, why is there a strange man in a funny costume in the living room drinking Daddy’s Whisky?’

Sounds like a simple answer morning of 25th December, however 5th March.....

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So, should I just spray some glow-vis paint at the front of my case to see where it's all going, and then add another fan on the rear (there isn't currently one) to suck air IN and push extra air OUT through the top 2 radiator fans?

...only asking as the rear of my 220T iCUE is a bit 'dark' compared to the front/top.

...and where does everything plug in, as I've only removed the cabling side cover once after I noticed it was a bit bowed out due to the amount of cables overlapping/bunched into 1 cable-tie.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
So, should I just spray some glow-vis paint at the front of my case to see where it's all going, and then add another fan on the rear (there isn't currently one) to suck air IN and push extra air OUT through the top 2 radiator fans?

...only asking as the rear of my 220T iCUE is a bit 'dark' compared to the front/top.

...and where does everything plug in, as I've only removed the cabling side cover once after I noticed it was a bit bowed out due to the amount of cables overlapping/bunched into 1 cable-tie.
You don’t actually need to add another fan to your iCue 200T with your choice of cooler, it’ll be fine as is on the thermal front. Have you just got the urge to add something shiny in there? 😜