Looking to build a PC that bests a PS5

JDW27

Basically, the main criteria are that it can outperform a PS5 and that it can play cyberpunk 2077 on high graphics (not necessarily highest). Ideally, it would cost no more than £750, is this possible for that price range? I want a dedicated graphics card as well, so not integrated because I've just come from that and I wasn't too impressed with it.

Currently, run a PS4 Pro and am recycling my old PC.

JDW27

Not a chance, you’d need about £1700. The GPU alone would cost around £600
Okay thanks, two more questions if you don't mind.

1. What would a £1,000 PC be capable of, would it match PS5's power/graphics

2. Do you think if you're not prepared to pay over £1,000 on a PC, a PS5 is a good gaming machine to play games such as Cyberpunk 2077.

Gavras

Master Poster

2. Do you think if you're not prepared to pay over £1,000 on a PC, a PS5 is a good gaming machine to play games such as Cyberpunk 2077.
PS5 will need to wait until next year before it has CyberPunk specifically for new consoles.

it’s been withdrawn at moment from Sony Store

scarpa1

Enthusiast

I have a PC and a PS5, Cyberpunk is a tough one though as it has serious struggles on consoles currently.

I personally dont have Cyberpunk on the PS5 but a friend of mine has and while he says its a big improvement over his PS4 it still isnt great.

However a updated version will be available for the PS5 sometime next year which will be the next gen version so in theory will use all the PS5's power and features unlike using a PS4 version on the PS5.
Not sure when its out.

Other games, I have only played NBA 2K21 and Demons Souls and both those are excellent, Demons Souls looks amazing and is a huge improvement over last gen consoles.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

A £1000 pc would get you a 1080p 144hz system. It wouldn’t be strong enough to run cyberpunk very well.

Durakus

Bronze Level Poster
A PC to beat a PS5

Well, that's pretty much any PC set up within the last 5 years? however Consoles do have the advantage of Architecturally being made FOR games. So you will see some performance differences per-title.

However the price you're looking for is not going to be under £750 buying from any retailer. The PC tech market is in absolute turmoil and ever since the introduction of Bit coin it has never truly recovered. If you want to make a PC for that cheap and beat a PS5 you're going to have to find people selling parts at Below MSRP. a 1080TI is already going to cost you over £500 and that is IF you can find one.

My advice: Either focus on the console market for gaming, or buckle down and buy a PC for everything a PC can do. Which of course, isn't just games.

PS5 is fantastic value right now given the PC parts market.

You’re better off saving to get a bigger budget if you want to go the PC route for high end games.

Gavras

Master Poster
PS5 is fantastic value right now given the PC parts market.

You’re better off saving to get a bigger budget if you want to go the PC route for high end games.
I think the CyberPunk fiasco has shown the risks of buy the previous PS5 and not buying the new generation.

I can see the previous gen dropping in price further or becoming more available in used console market.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Unfortunately to beat a PS5 you're looking at an 8 core CPU paired with a 2070 GPU. The money involved to do this is quite high, and to do it with current gen components is even higher (wouldn't waste money on older gen personally).

£1500 would be able to do it cutting corners, but as suggested.... you're looking at £1700 to do it right.

The value to Sony & Microsoft is in the gaming licensing now. They can sell the consoles off at cost price (or even as a loss leader). They will have contracts on individual components being purchased in their millions which makes the margins razor thin at the best of times.

Durakus

Bronze Level Poster
Unfortunately to beat a PS5 you're looking at an 8 core CPU paired with a 2070 GPU. The money involved to do this is quite high, and to do it with current gen components is even higher (wouldn't waste money on older gen personally).

£1500 would be able to do it cutting corners, but as suggested.... you're looking at £1700 to do it right.

The value to Sony & Microsoft is in the gaming licensing now. They can sell the consoles off at cost price (or even as a loss leader). They will have contracts on individual components being purchased in their millions which makes the margins razor thin at the best of times.
I think you're over-selling Consoles power here. There is nothing that really screams "Power house" when compared to PC's when it comes to consoles.

pcstats.png

Note the GPU is a GTX 1060.

here's the review in full so you can decide for yourself the equivalency between a PC and a PS5.
But as I said, you will need to find equivalent parts from Non Retail sources.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I think you're over-selling Consoles power here. There is nothing that really screams "Power house" when compared to PC's when it comes to consoles.

View attachment 21219
Note the GPU is a GTX 1060.

here's the review in full so you can decide for yourself the equivalency between a PC and a PS5.
But as I said, you will need to find equivalent parts from Non Retail sources.

It's not so much console power. It's spec matching. As time goes on the specs will be utilised more, especially when DX12 properly comes into play (multi-threaded). As always, the party trick with the GPUs is the upscaling ability in order to output at 4k.

They actually do a really good job at this and look stunning for the most part. A PC can't manage this at the specs mentioned and in order to upscale would rely on a connected TV.... which won't be as powerful as the console.

To beat the console, visually, takes high end hardware unfortunately.

Durakus

Bronze Level Poster
It's not so much console power. It's spec matching. As time goes on the specs will be utilised more, especially when DX12 properly comes into play (multi-threaded). As always, the party trick with the GPUs is the upscaling ability in order to output at 4k.

They actually do a really good job at this and look stunning for the most part. A PC can't manage this at the specs mentioned and in order to upscale would rely on a connected TV.... which won't be as powerful as the console.

To beat the console, visually, takes high end hardware unfortunately.
Except that above video says the direct opposite of that.
Also ignores what Consoles do to Output to at "4k" A PS5 is the equivalent of 5 year old or so PC hardware. And that includes 4k. E.G. Raytracing on the PS5 alone drops games like Miles Morales straight down to 30 fps and below on the PS5. High frame rate mode changes resolution dynamically so that it can UPSCALE to 4k with High FPS. Otherwise you're not looking at a fully support 4k for every game. JUST like some hardware on a PC around the 1060-1080 GTX generation.

I'm not saying a PS5 is bad, I'm just saying it doesn't require 20series + generation tech to have an equivalent.
Ah one more edit: A GTX 1080 can run 4k resolution At the graphics settings optimised for consoles. Also Yes, game developers do OPTIMISE games for consoles, and they do it very differently for PC games, so you will see nice performance of games on consoles at 4k (60fps) because they do a lot of optimisation.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also ignores what Consoles do to Output to at "4k" A PS5 is the equivalent of 5 year old or so PC hardware. And that includes 4k. E.G. Raytracing on the PS5 alone drops games like Miles Morales straight down to 30 fps and below on the PS5. High frame rate mode changes resolution dynamically so that it can UPSCALE to 4k with High FPS. Otherwise you're not looking at a fully support 4k for every game. JUST like some hardware on a PC around the 1060-1080 GTX generation.

I'm not saying a PS5 is bad, I'm just saying it doesn't require 20series + generation tech to have an equivalent.
Ah one more edit: A GTX 1080 can run 4k resolution At the graphics settings optimised for consoles. Also Yes, game developers do OPTIMISE games for consoles, and they do it very differently for PC games, so you will see nice performance of games on consoles at 4k (60fps) because they do a lot of optimisation.
If you watch the video, Steve is not including ray tracing or 4k 120fps, he’s purely going by what the console can currently achieve.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

Opposite of what? I'm not sure what you are getting at?

A 3300X paired with a 1060 won't output 4k at an enjoyable level.... the PS5 will. Forget framerates.... purely for visual fidelity and playability you need a system that can use DLSS2.0 IMO. Unfortunately, to have that tech on board, takes a modern GPU.

Like I said, the video is based on performance at the best possible FPS output available on the console..... that's not what it's designed for, it's just a feature option. Where it shines is 4k gameplay, it's the main sale of the console.

I'm happy to agree to disagree. My 1080 can output 4k at a reasonable-ish rate to play, but only in lesser games or with settings seriously dropped. My 2080 with DLSS2.0 enabled will do a FAR better job.

People want to micro analyse everything nowadays. FPS debates, resolution debates.... etc. People will always focus in on arguments that backup their point while ignoring the ones that don't. The above video is a great example of this, it's a fantastic piece with very indepth analysis of one particular facet of the consoles. Do the same test with 4k fidelity and it will be a whole new ball game. It's different horses for different courses. All that really matters to most people is the look and feel of the game. Consoles have always got that pretty much on the money.

Durakus

Bronze Level Poster
Opposite of what? I'm not sure what you are getting at?

A 3300X paired with a 1060 won't output 4k at an enjoyable level.... the PS5 will. Forget framerates.... purely for visual fidelity and playability you need a system that can use DLSS2.0 IMO. Unfortunately, to have that tech on board, takes a modern GPU.

Like I said, the video is based on performance at the best possible FPS output available on the console..... that's not what it's designed for, it's just a feature option. Where it shines is 4k gameplay, it's the main sale of the console.

I'm happy to agree to disagree. My 1080 can output 4k at a reasonable-ish rate to play, but only in lesser games or with settings seriously dropped. My 2080 with DLSS2.0 enabled will do a FAR better job.

People want to micro analyse everything nowadays. FPS debates, resolution debates.... etc. People will always focus in on arguments that backup their point while ignoring the ones that don't. The above video is a great example of this, it's a fantastic piece with very indepth analysis of one particular facet of the consoles. Do the same test with 4k fidelity and it will be a whole new ball game. It's different horses for different courses. All that really matters to most people is the look and feel of the game. Consoles have always got that pretty much on the money.
Look, I realise I'm coming off as quite combative, but you can find GTX1080 4k 60fps gaming without this poor "enjoyable level" you mention. That's all I'm really trying to say. Admittedly I wasn't entirely considering 4k initially, as Performance is King for me and 4k fidelity isn't something I'm worried about in the games I play the most. But as it was said multiple times, you won't find anything within reasonable price range for PC vs console from a retailer. I digress at this point, farewell.

P.S. I of course mean no disrespect in my replies. and hope I didn't come off as angry or anything.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Look, I realise I'm coming off as quite combative, but you can find GTX1080 4k 60fps gaming without this poor "enjoyable level" you mention. That's all I'm really trying to say. Admittedly I wasn't entirely considering 4k initially, as Performance is King for me and 4k fidelity isn't something I'm worried about in the games I play the most. But as it was said multiple times, you won't find anything within reasonable price range for PC vs console from a retailer. I digress at this point, farewell.

P.S. I of course mean no disrespect in my replies. and hope I didn't come off as angry or anything.

No issues at all with your point, the only thing I would say about how you were coming across was that your mind was made up from focusing on a singular point of reference, I guess that's why I saw the discussion as a bit pointless. I love an open minded discussion as much as anyone.

From your perspective a PC would be a better purchase as you want performance and, most likely, something that can do a bit more than plug in and just play games on (for the most part). I've got 3 consoles sitting gathering dust as I type, I'm a PC user and when I game it tends to be on PC. I don't half have to pay for that privilege though.

I have no doubt that you could build/purchase a powerful enough system to take on a console but it would take a fair bit of knowledge to get there for the £500 mark. £1000 though... definitely. To cover every base from new I think you would want a 5800X paired with a 3060ti. You can cover individual points with less, as per the GN vid, but to do it all would take a bit more. That would cover DLSS2.0 and have the raw horsepower to deal with every angle that any of the consoles could throw at you. The only place that it might still fall foul would be when it comes to optimisation....... this is where it may be more relevant to go with AMD and an AMD 3060Ti equivalent. That way you would be using similar architecture with a bit more oomph.... win win.

Did consider a ps5 just love the freedom a pc brings to games modding/indie games the fact I can alt tab ;) tho I will say pepole on a budget who cant afford pc gaming could do worse it seems pritty good value for money