RTX 3080

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What about rdr2, any ac game or other games that you want you want to use Ray tracing. Extra vram ? And what monitor would you use for 4k ?
You just need to optimise the game, that's exactly why you've bought a gaming PC, otherwise what's the point. They all run fine on a 3070. 3080 is going to be no better.

You'll need to create your own thread for monitor advice, this thread is for the 3080.

Rojo88

There is plenty of reasons to get a 3080 . Dont need monitor advice just saying there isnt any monitors that would suit most people out just yet, but there on the way. And im sorry I just disagree with the logic of what curret panel you have.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There is plenty of reasons to get a 3080 . Dont need monitor advice just saying there isnt any monitors that would suit most people out just yet, but there on the way. And im sorry I just disagree with the logic of what curret panel you have.
Not sure I follow? None of that makes any sense.

there’s plenty of reasons to get a 3080, no one said there wasn’t, just no point at 1440p because the monitor will bottleneck the card and it’s a waste.

It’s like buying a 12 cylinder engine and sticking it in a Ford Focus.

3080 is suited for 4k 144hz or 1440 Superwide. And I’m not sure what you mean regarding monitors, there are tonnes that would suit a 3080 already out.

Rojo88

Is there ? This doesnt need to be a long tangent . Im sure most people in here have watched lots of benchmarks and reviews in anticipation on there cards and can decide for themselves on the most part why they would like a 3080 with a 1440p monitor, And as you say plenty of reasons to get a 3080. I just personally disgaree with you, prob not the only one.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is there ? This doesnt need to be a long tangent . Im sure most people in here have watched lots of benchmarks and reviews in anticipation on there cards and can decide for themselves on the most part why they would like a 3080 with a 1440p monitor, And as you say plenty of reasons to get a 3080. I just personally disgaree with you, prob not the only one.
If you think the GPU being bottlenecked by the monitor is a good use of money, then sure, but you need to know that performance isn't being magically used anywhere, it's just lost so you don't see it. Waste of money.

But I can see you've already been advised all this by 4 separate people and ignored it.

Snooze

Im sorry im not allowed to disagree mate. This guy !
Fella it’s your money, do with it as you please and don’t let people guilt you into purchasing something else.

We’re at a new generation of gaming, the 3070 has been benchmarked in games designed for 10 year old consoles, with 10 year old game engine technology.

Yes you’ll get 140 FPS in Tomb Raider, and 200 in fortnite, but what about upcoming games ?

Some in this forum cherry pick data to suit their argument, and disregard data they disproves it

“it’s not optimised!!” Yeah, like the vast majority of PC titles. Not every game is Doom Eternal

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Fella it’s your money, do with it as you please and don’t let people guilt you into purchasing something else.

We’re at a new generation of gaming, the 3070 has been benchmarked in games designed for 10 year old consoles, with 10 year old game engine technology.

Yes you’ll get 140 FPS in Tomb Raider, and 200 in fortnite, but what about upcoming games ?

Some in this forum cherry pick data to suit their argument, and disregard data they disproves it

“it’s not optimised!!” Yeah, like the vast majority of PC titles. Not every game is Doom Eternal
No ones telling him not to get the 3080, that's his choice, but it's our job to point out that it's a waste of money on a 1440p screen for the other people reading this. If they want to waste their money, that's fine. Be proud that you're able to waste money in that way, I wouldn't take it as a negative, I'd be rubbing it in peoples faces :ROFLMAO:

And yes, pretty much on any new title, a pc gamer will optimise the game for their intended use.... that's kind of the whole point of PC gaming is that you can tailor it for your preferred experience.

In RDR2 and Warzone, just to name two, when they're referred to as "badly optimised", there is a reason for that. You can adjust a couple of settings in each of those games, and it won't change visual fidelity AT ALL, but will increase framerates massively. That's what "game optimisation" means. And all the big gaming outfits release optimisation reports for new releases.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Im sorry im not allowed to disagree mate. This guy !
Enough. You've been advised by people who absolutely know what they're talking about and you still disagree. You're fully entitled to do that of course and buy whatever your heart desires - but no, you're not allowed to keep trying to justify the unjustifiable.

Unless you use RAY TRACING on new games. cyber punk !. Or want to play warzone at 1440p 144hz (I know its getting dlss support). There isnt even normal size 4k high refresh monitors out yet sooo.
My 3070 plays Cyberpunk at max settings and high ray tracing with no issue at 1440p 👍

unless you’re at 4K you won’t be getting a noticeably better experience with a 3080 :)

georgi.stoyanov

Bronze Level Poster
Its fine to get 1440 instead of 4k , I personaly even with 3090 dont want 4k because of the 60hz option only ,and would rather sacrifice resolution for hz . When they start making 4k at high hz at a decent price ,then I would consider getting 4k . But for now 1440 it is . Thats just my opinion.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Its fine to get 1440 instead of 4k , I personaly even with 3090 dont want 4k because of the 60hz option only ,and would rather sacrifice resolution for hz . When they start making 4k at high hz at a decent price ,then I would consider getting 4k . But for now 1440 it is . Thats just my opinion.
And that's fine, that's your choice.

On the forum, there are a handful of people in that position who are able to overspec the GPU. So long as you're informed and realise that you're not using it to it's potential, that's absolutely fine.

What we can't have is people stating that it's required at that resolution, because that's bad advice and wholly inaccurate for the rest of the forum members who may not understand resolution vs refresh rate.

I personaly even with 3090 dont want 4k because of the 60hz option only

Not sure I understand this? You wouldn't pair a 60Hz monitor with a 3080 or 3090, you'd go for 144Hz. Otherwise again, you're bottlenecking the card.

Stacey

My 3070 plays Cyberpunk at max settings and high ray tracing with no issue at 1440p 👍

unless you’re at 4K you won’t be getting a noticeably better experience with a 3080 :)
I'm curious, what FPS are you getting with what settings in Cyberpunk ? Only, I've watched various benchmarks on the 3070 and it seems to be a common theme that with graphics on ultra, ray-tracing on ultra, and dlss on quality, the 3070 is only able to push around 50ish FPS on 1440?

Attachments

• 20210126_080659.jpg
    20210126_080659.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 173

Rojo88

Apologies I shouldn't have entered this conversation so early in the morning. I didn't mean 3070 is not a fantastic card and completely competent at 1440p. But I don't think its a waste of money and "doesnt make sense period" when there isn't any good high refresh rate 4k monitors out yet. When they are out unless you where planning to upgrade then yeah 3070 is probably the one." I would have thought that there is some games that would run better on 3080 over 3070 high settings RT, but maybe I'm wrong. Have a nice day everyone.

I'm curious, what FPS are you getting with what settings in Cyberpunk ? Only, I've watched various benchmarks on the 3070 and it seems to be a common theme that with graphics on ultra, ray-tracing on ultra, and dlss on quality, the 3070 is only able to push around 50ish FPS on 1440?
I’ll boot it up again later this morning to confirm but it never dropped below 60 in the first few hours and stays around 70/80 most of the time.

Don’t get me wrong I was pleasantly surprised. Only tried the max settings just to see the pretty areas before I made any tweaks to it but felt like I didn’t need to :)

Are those benchmarks before or after the most recent update? The game has run much better since then.

Jaycensolo

Bronze Level Poster
There is an LG 27” and 32” which are both 4K 144hz and I think there was 3 more monitors announced at CES 2021 to come out either end of Q1 or beginning of Q2 2021 from Asus and BenQ which should start to lower the price as the LG ones were around £800+ last I saw around October. But like most new tech there was limited stock. There is the crowd funded Eve Spectrum as well but I would hold off on them as early test versions have fell well short of what was promised. I imagine that they will fix the key areas at some point before general release.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There is an LG 27” and 32” which are both 4K 144hz and I think there was 3 more monitors announced at CES 2021 to come out either end of Q1 or beginning of Q2 2021 from Asus and BenQ which should start to lower the price as the LG ones were around £800+ last I saw around October. But like most new tech there was limited stock. There is the crowd funded Eve Spectrum as well but I would hold off on them as early test versions have fell well short of what was promised. I imagine that they will fix the key areas at some point before general release.
There are currently loads of 4k 144hz monitors on the market.
Agreed on the Eve spectrum, they haven’t been very good at delivering promised specs and have been massively delayed.

did you see the recent LinusTT video on the spectrum?