Standard Ryzen CPU Cooling

Yes very true Resistance100. If money was no object this would be a lot easier.

A bigger case with better airflow would be a good change to start with for me I think.

Anyone have any thoughts on B550 vs B450 mobo? I don't see any need to exceed 64GB RAM in the future and 3200MHz should also be plenty for the life of this build I would feel. Is there any other elements I am missing?

I had originally picked the Ryzen 5 3600XT over the Ryzen 7 3700X but pushed myself into the 8 core option even though it is slower. Would having a little more CPU than I probably need also help with cooling? Much like the PSU thought process??
It would be so much easier.

The B450 will be fine for a 3000 series CPU. Was just trying to fit some upgradability in there but if you don't feel you need it go the B450 route :)

TBH someone else might be able to confirm the CPU question, but i've always gone on the logic of the more cores being used the hotter the chip can get and the better cooler will be required. (Very over simplified view as theres million other factors which can impact it)

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
It would be so much easier.

The B450 will be fine for a 3000 series CPU. Was just trying to fit some upgradability in there but if you don't feel you need it go the B450 route :)

TBH someone else might be able to confirm the CPU question, but i've always gone on the logic of the more cores being used the hotter the chip can get and the better cooler will be required. (Very over simplified view as theres million other factors which can impact it)
Thanks R100.

The CPU question is tough. At 6 cores in use, Lightroom and Photoshop will benefit more from the higher speed of the 3600XT, but I'm not sure if running a setup that could be using all cores on one application would leave me struggling with any other background processes.....

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Looking at benchmarking for PS and LR, the 5600X gives a good step up in performance over the 3600XT. Ideally you want more than 256GB for your OS drive, as these can soon fill up and SSDs slow down when they are close to full. My ancient PC has over 200GB on the OS drive and I don’t have that many programmes installed.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The 5600X says it's pre-order only. I imagine that means more wait time for a build than standard? Any idea what impact a pre-order would have?

The 5600X says it's pre-order only. I imagine that means more wait time for a build than standard? Any idea what impact a pre-order would have?
Depends on the stock but due to demand shortages they are harder to get hold of. Basically PCS can't guarantee when they will have stock at the moment so its pre-order. Situation is the same world over.

The upgrade between the 3600x and 5600x is enough to justify the extra wait in my eyes.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Depends on the stock but due to demand shortages they are harder to get hold of. Basically PCS can't guarantee when they will have stock at the moment so its pre-order. Situation is the same world over.

The upgrade between the 3600x and 5600x is enough to justify the extra wait in my eyes.
Just reading up on it there - some places saying AMD should be delivering new 5000 stock towards the end of February - with more consistent delivery through March - so that could mean April before the backlog starts to clear properly I guess....

Perhaps the 8 cores is not necessary and faulty logic on my part. The clock speed seems to drive PS and LR performance significantly also. So 6 cores at a higher speed will be better than 8 cores at a lower one. I'll rethink my setup and see what I can lose in one place to gain in another!

Thanks so much for all the help everyone!

Just reading up on it there - some places saying AMD should be delivering new 5000 stock towards the end of February - with more consistent delivery through March - so that could mean April before the backlog starts to clear properly I guess....

Perhaps the 8 cores is not necessary and faulty logic on my part. The clock speed seems to drive PS and LR performance significantly also. So 6 cores at a higher speed will be better than 8 cores at a lower one. I'll rethink my setup and see what I can lose in one place to gain in another!

Thanks so much for all the help everyone!
It's amazing how much you learn when looking at building a PC. One of the best things about buying a custom build rather than a Pre-build off the shelf.

Any other questions feel free to ask :)

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Much appreciated R100!

Part of the issue is it is a slippery slope. You start thinking "Ah sure another few euro for that upgraded bit is worth it now - I'll regret not doing it later". But when you think that way with every component it gets expensive quickly!

If I stand back for a moment - which is what you have all helped me to do - and think what I actually need - as opposed to what I might like or for 'future proofing' for some activity that I most likely won't actually partake of - 6 cores will be fine - in a bigger case with better cooling.

I agree with BIGFOOT that I really need a 500GB OS drive or more - my existing 256GB one is getting squeezed as it is. But I can drop the size of the SSD for catalogs and a scratch disk to 256 to offset the cost of improving the other stuff.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Much appreciated R100!

Part of the issue is it is a slippery slope. You start thinking "Ah sure another few euro for that upgraded bit is worth it now - I'll regret not doing it later". But when you think that way with every component it gets expensive quickly!

If I stand back for a moment - which is what you have all helped me to do - and think what I actually need - as opposed to what I might like or for 'future proofing' for some activity that I most likely won't actually partake of - 6 cores will be fine - in a bigger case with better cooling.

I agree with BIGFOOT that I really need a 500GB OS drive or more - my existing 256GB one is getting squeezed as it is. But I can drop the size of the SSD for catalogs and a scratch disk to 256 to offset the cost of improving the other stuff.
Some of those little things like M.2 drives you can always treat yourself to in the coming months, the amendment/upgrade buttons are great for that :ROFLMAO:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Some of those little things like M.2 drives you can always treat yourself to in the coming months, the amendment/upgrade buttons are great for that :ROFLMAO:
Those buttons scare me to be honest. I've already pressed the Amend button twice now. I'll need some therapy to leave it alone from here on.

Ash_

Master Poster
The 5600x should outperform the 3700x, as it is the next generation. I chose a 5600x as it was cheaper than 3700x (i think), plus the 3700x needs better cooling ideally than stock. 6 cores of next gen, should outperform 8 cores from last gen.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Those buttons scare me to be honest. I've already pressed the Amend button twice now. I'll need some therapy to leave it alone from here on.
Welcome to having a custom built PC, they constantly evolve, you'll be reading something on here and all of a sudden, think that sounds an idea, and before you know it you are pressing those buttons :ROFLMAO:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
How many additional sata connections are on that mother board, be a shame not to have them connected to SSD's :ROFLMAO:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Part of the problem here is that the PCS site makes it far too easy to pick and spec your build. Every other crowd I look at seemed to be more confusing and clunky to use.

PCS are more like that evil witch in kids movies - you know - the one that makes fixing your problems sound so simple, while withholding the detail of the massive damage it will do to you and your family.

Shame on you PCS! :mad: