Ordered My First PC

OliverBarnes742

CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard
ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCle 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!

RAM
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 × 8GB)

Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!

1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE

1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCle M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler

This is my first ever gaming PC and I've done a fair bit of research before ordering it today. Hoping to use it for all the top end games as well as for casual use and everything in between, would love to hear some opinions. A friend has already said he would've perhaps gone for a 3200MHz RAM over 2666MHz, will this be an issue or is that just a personal preference?

Very excited to see it when it arrives :)

MrWilson

Godlike
If this is purely for gaming I would actually say that a 5800x would be a better choice than the 3900x. 8 cores will be enough to handle any game you throw at it, and the 5800x will also beat out the 3900x in single core performance. As a bonus it's cheaper, and the motherboard and cooler you currently have are perfect for the 5800x. :)

OliverBarnes742

If this is purely for gaming I would actually say that a 5800x would be a better choice than the 3900x. 8 cores will be enough to handle any game you throw at it, and the 5800x will also beat out the 3900x in single core performance. As a bonus it's cheaper, and the motherboard and cooler you currently have are perfect for the 5800x. :)
Is that the Ryzen 7 5800X? It says it's Pre-Order Only, is there any way of telling how much longer that would take?

Also would the Ryzen 9 that I have chosen be more beneficial in the future? I was thinking partly long-term when building this so just assumed the Ryzen 9 would be better in the long run.

MrWilson

Godlike
Is that the Ryzen 7 5800X? It says it's Pre-Order Only, is there any way of telling how much longer that would take?

Also would the Ryzen 9 that I have chosen be more beneficial in the future? I was thinking partly long-term when building this so just assumed the Ryzen 9 would be better in the long run.
So the Ryzen 9 3900x has 12 cores compared to the 8 that the 5800x has. However, games have not been optimised to use more than 8 cores, and are unlikely for a few years to come. 12 cores are more relevant when looking at heavy duty applications such as Blender, 4k editing, and high level content creation.
If you're looking long-term the 5800x is the newer generation of CPU, and should age better than the 3900x for gaming, as it still has a good number of faster cores.
Every 5000 series CPU, and 3000 and 6000 series GPU are marked as pre-order only so that PCS can cover themselves if supply issues cause less supply than expected. This doesn't really affect the 5800x though, as there seem to be a lot of them available on the market, including from common retailers. Builds on tracking threads with the 5800x have been made within the standard build times, so while there is no guarantee, I would be surprised if amending your build to include a 5800x would cause a big delay.

AverageSphinx

Hey! I’ve ordered a Ryzen 7 5800x (currently on the 18th working day) it was built and tested today! So currently awaiting dispatch.

Although it’s not a guarantee, I think both the 3060ti and the 5800x are coming in at a reasonable speed. Current ETA on any customer built PC is at 21-25 working days if I’m correct, that’s even without any pre-orders. To say I ordered both CPU and GPU that were both pre order... they are flying through them! Hope this info helps slightly :)

OliverBarnes742

So the Ryzen 9 3900x has 12 cores compared to the 8 that the 5800x has. However, games have not been optimised to use more than 8 cores, and are unlikely for a few years to come. 12 cores are more relevant when looking at heavy duty applications such as Blender, 4k editing, and high level content creation.
If you're looking long-term the 5800x is the newer generation of CPU, and should age better than the 3900x for gaming, as it still has a good number of faster cores.
Every 5000 series CPU, and 3000 and 6000 series GPU are marked as pre-order only so that PCS can cover themselves if supply issues cause less supply than expected. This doesn't really affect the 5800x though, as there seem to be a lot of them available on the market, including from common retailers. Builds on tracking threads with the 5800x have been made within the standard build times, so while there is no guarantee, I would be surprised if amending your build to include a 5800x would cause a big delay.
Awesome, thanks a lot for the advice :)

OliverBarnes742

Hey! I’ve ordered a Ryzen 7 5800x (currently on the 18th working day) it was built and tested today! So currently awaiting dispatch.

Although it’s not a guarantee, I think both the 3060ti and the 5800x are coming in at a reasonable speed. Current ETA on any customer built PC is at 21-25 working days if I’m correct, that’s even without any pre-orders. To say I ordered both CPU and GPU that were both pre order... they are flying through them! Hope this info helps slightly :)
Thank you for that :)
What graphics card did you go for just out of interest? I felt the RTX 2060 was plentiful but not sure whether the 3060 Ti is a vast improvement or not