enough for Lightroom?

sZIdAN

Hi everyone,

I don't know anything about computers. I am using lightroom and photoshop. Is this PC good?
Thankies

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 275Q QUIET CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
AMD RADEON™ PRO WX 5100 WORKSTATION - 8GB, 1792 Streams, 4 x DP
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 15 to 18 working days

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Hi there. I have a build in the pipeline also mainly for Lightroom but on a lower budget than yours. Overall your specs look pretty good to me. Photoshop will like the 8 core CPU but Lightroom won't really see a significant gain past 4 cores. Your RAM is plenty too and will make them both happy. However I might ponder a different drive setup perhaps:

I would consider a bigger 1st M.2 Drive - you would like to have your OS and Lightroom/Photoshop on here so everything can load quickly. 256 GB I don't think will give you much room to spare if you are adding anything else in there. 512GB minimum would be my recommendation.

Lightroom likes having it's Catalogs and Scratch Disk on a separate, fast drive. You could certainly use the SSD for that if you wish. A second M.2 is another option - and is what I went for. Previews and catalog data can then be grabbed quickly when needed. The SSD will work too, but obviously is nowhere near as fast as the M.2 drives. (Bear in mind that on that Motherboard, the first M.2 slot is PCIe 4.0 which is super fast, but the second M.2 slot is PCIe 3.0 via the Chipset which means it works no faster than about 3,500 MB/s - so don't waste money putting any drive faster than the one you already have selected in there.)

With the SDD, just consider how much room you really need. 1TB can fill up quickly if you are using RAW files. It's easy enough to add extra storage later if you need to, but cheaper and easier to do it now with a bigger SSD or even a HDD if you can. For original files or for general use documents and so on, the speed of the drive really isn't as big a deal.

So I personally went for a three drive setup - two M.2 drives and one HDD.

Just food for thought - and there are many more on here more capable of giving better advice - so wait and see what they all say first also!!

Bigfoot

Grand Master
It might be worth checking out the benchmarking and hardware recommendations for LR and PS at Puget Systems. They are a US builder, so not a competitor of PCS. I think you would benefit from a Zen 3 CPU. 5600x beats the 3600xt by some way and even outperforms the 3800xt. If within your budget, a 5800x might be the optimum performance for price. I actually have a 5900x in my build, but am considering amending to a 5800x based on those benchmarks and possibly spending the savings elsewhere within the PC.

Stephen M

Author Level
Certainly m2s for the OS and scratch drives then it is down to budget, ideally a bid SSD but a 7200rpm HDD is ok to save money. Be careful with 4TB HDDs, they may well be 5400rpm.

sZIdAN

Hi there. I have a build in the pipeline also mainly for Lightroom but on a lower budget than yours. Overall your specs look pretty good to me. Photoshop will like the 8 core CPU but Lightroom won't really see a significant gain past 4 cores. Your RAM is plenty too and will make them both happy. However I might ponder a different drive setup perhaps:

I would consider a bigger 1st M.2 Drive - you would like to have your OS and Lightroom/Photoshop on here so everything can load quickly. 256 GB I don't think will give you much room to spare if you are adding anything else in there. 512GB minimum would be my recommendation.

Lightroom likes having it's Catalogs and Scratch Disk on a separate, fast drive. You could certainly use the SSD for that if you wish. A second M.2 is another option - and is what I went for. Previews and catalog data can then be grabbed quickly when needed. The SSD will work too, but obviously is nowhere near as fast as the M.2 drives. (Bear in mind that on that Motherboard, the first M.2 slot is PCIe 4.0 which is super fast, but the second M.2 slot is PCIe 3.0 via the Chipset which means it works no faster than about 3,500 MB/s - so don't waste money putting any drive faster than the one you already have selected in there.)

With the SDD, just consider how much room you really need. 1TB can fill up quickly if you are using RAW files. It's easy enough to add extra storage later if you need to, but cheaper and easier to do it now with a bigger SSD or even a HDD if you can. For original files or for general use documents and so on, the speed of the drive really isn't as big a deal.

So I personally went for a three drive setup - two M.2 drives and one HDD.

Just food for thought - and there are many more on here more capable of giving better advice - so wait and see what they all say first also!!
Hi thanks so much! I would be happier with a cheaper setup I just don't know what to take out or adjust. I upgraded the 1st M2 spot but it doesn't give me a second M.2 slot chance. This set up pussing my budget and would be much more comfortable with a 1200 max setup. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The second M.2 option is hidden in the configurator - you need to select additional storage options here:

Second option.jpg

I've just posted some questions on exactly this sort of question actually on another thread! I'm confusing myself a bit with it all to be honest!!

Budget is king of course and don't forget that adding storage later - particularly M.2 drives - is actually quite easy.

Also don't forget the PCS M.2 drives are great value! The performance hit is notable but they will still be so much faster than standard SSD's....