New 17" laptops

Sonic1506

Bronze Level Poster
I checked your configuration.
What are your needs for 32GB RAM? Anything besides professional grade Video editing or CAD/rendering should be fine with 16 GB.
On the other hand the Intel SSD isn't that great. I'd invest there to upgrade to a speedier Samsung EVO.
Should you have a Windows 7/10 licenced PC, you can transfer that license to your PCS laptop. They send you one with a Trial version which you can activate if you login with the same MS account and choose to transfer it. Or can buy a serial somewhere for less than PCS prices.
I opted for 30 days dead pixel warranty, as I'd not be happy with a dead pixel once arrived. Rarely they broke mid life. Early on should be enough to warrant.
Someone told us that PCS sometimes messes up with the paste application. Also my Ionico went with MX-4, but this means we are confident PCS is able to apply the better paste in a way better than than Tongfang applied its normal paste in the fab. We do hope PCS knows their job. But there exists cases they made a worse operation.

Thanks for checking.

I will be doing video editing as well as photo editing as well as gaming and general office working/programming and the price difference isn't great to go from 16GB RAM to 32GB RAM so I thought why not.

I will be giving my current W10 laptop to my girlfriend so makes sense (to me) to pay for another version of Windows and have PCS install it.

I would imagine if the laptop arrived with a dead pixel, I'd be sending it back to PCS to rectify as this should be covered under some form of warranty. In all my years of laptops, PC's, I'm yet to see a dead pixel to seems false economy to me, just have to be hopeful!

I have MX-4 chosen on mine too, I would assume and hope that PCS can apply thermal paste properly! I read that the TongFang OEM wasn't applied properly?

Macco26

Expert
About thermal paste it was on a brand new Elimina (Clevo) which got added MX-4 by PCS which seems to be extremely hot compared to another one arrived.
I don't really know if PCS is good at repasting. But it should be their bare minimum requirement, given the desktop they build each day. We'll see.

About dead pixel, I'm sorry but I am aware that 1-2 subpixel dead are rarely covered by any warranty. You want a warranty? Pick it up. They are not going to swap the entire screen for 1-2 pixel dead without you opted for this.
This might mean that if they have a faulty dead pixel laptop they will slap it to whom has not asked for any warranty, and keep me fresh with the pristine one. That's my thought.

However with my past Clevo I could revive a blue stuck pixel with some website stimulating the zone for some minutes. But hey, For just 10 bucks or so, I prefer not to incur in any threats.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Should you have a Windows 7/10 licenced PC, you can transfer that license to your PCS laptop. They send you one with a Trial version which you can activate if you login with the same MS account and choose to transfer it. Or can buy a serial somewhere for less than PCS prices.

Its always advisable not to just activate the 'trial' / 'test' version that PCS use if you have not ordered Windows 10 through them but to do your own CLEAN install of Windows 10.

Sonic1506

Bronze Level Poster
About thermal paste it was on a brand new Elimina (Clevo) which got added MX-4 by PCS which seems to be extremely hot compared to another one arrived.
I don't really know if PCS is good at repasting. But it should be their bare minimum requirement, given the desktop they build each day. We'll see.

About dead pixel, I'm sorry but I am aware that 1-2 subpixel dead are rarely covered by any warranty. You want a warranty? Pick it up. They are not going to swap the entire screen for 1-2 pixel dead without you opted for this.
This might mean that if they have a faulty dead pixel laptop they will slap it to whom has not asked for any warranty, and keep me fresh with the pristine one. That's my thought.

However with my past Clevo I could revive a blue stuck pixel with some website stimulating the zone for some minutes. But hey, For just 10 bucks or so, I prefer not to incur in any threats.

I would hope they'd be able to repaste without issue. Part of the reason I'm using someone like PCS for a custom build is because 1. I trust their workmanship over mine as they're experts, 2. I can't be bothered to do it myself and 3. It's more cost effective for PCS to build than it is for myself.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with you buddy. If I receive a laptop from them and upon delivery/first time use one of the pixels is damaged you can guarantee that I will be complaining and expecting PCS to rectify, regardless of whether there is dead pixel guarantee or not. I absolutely should not and would not pay to rectify this upon first use. If it happens after a year or whatever, then yes, I can expect them to put the blame back onto me, but within that time frame, they should be fixing it at their cost, otherwise the product is not up to standard.

I had a Toshiba laptop for 10 years with no issues with dead pixels. My current HP laptop is 7/8 years old and no dead pixels and sometimes, I pick it up by the corner of the screen and I've dropped it a few times on the screen. It's been rock solid. Only reason for change is that they got old and performance was lacking.

Its always advisable not to just activate the 'trial' / 'test' version that PCS use if you have not ordered Windows 10 through them but to do your own CLEAN install of Windows 10.

Would you recommend doing a clean installed even if they DO install it for you?

Macco26

Expert
About their dead pixel warranty you can return your PC entirely and get refund, yes. But to be rectified you should have chosen the 30 days warranty, else it does not need to exist, IMO.
About Windows, we'll see, but if it's just drivers + Control Center, I'll try to activate it myself and keep it.

Sonic1506

Bronze Level Poster
About their dead pixel warranty you can return your PC entirely and get refund, yes. But to be rectified you should have chosen the 30 days warranty, else it does not need to exist, IMO.
About Windows, we'll see, but if it's just drivers + Control Center, I'll try to activate it myself and keep it.

To look at at in more objective way, there needs to be numbers on how many people have had a dead pixel within 30 days.

If there is a dead pixel on delivery/first use PCS should rectify at their cost regardless of whether you have the guarantee or not. Would you agree with that? I wouldn't be filled with confidence within their products if a dead pixel occurs within 30 days!

Macco26

Expert
For Dead pixels they aren't being replaced by anybody (I include here also Monitor resellers) unless a precise number fails. Can't remember the rule.
That's why I prefer paying 10 bucks to let the others take the lemon, if it exist. If it happens the 31st day, I am ok. Rarely happens.

barlew

Godlike
For Dead pixels they aren't being replaced by anybody (I include here also Monitor resellers) unless a precise number fails. Can't remember the rule.
That's why I prefer paying 10 bucks to let the others take the lemon, if it exist. If it happens the 31st day, I am ok. Rarely happens.
I always get dead pixel protection. There would be nothing worse than receiving a £2k laptop with 1 dead pixel and finding out its not enough to warrant a RMA.

barlew

Godlike
Thanks for posting that, pal.
No worries. My understanding for it has always been it depends on what the policy of the screens manufacturer is. If their policy states 3 dead pixels are acceptable and you receive your screen with 1 or 2 you are dead in the water.

Sonic1506

Bronze Level Poster
No worries. My understanding for it has always been it depends on what the policy of the screens manufacturer is. If their policy states 3 dead pixels are acceptable and you receive your screen with 1 or 2 you are dead in the water.

Makes sense! My point is that someone would have some form of responsibility, regardless of whether you had the dead pixel guarantee purchased or not.

I will add the Dead Pixel Guarantee to my spec as it's not a great sum of money in the grand scheme of things.

barlew

Godlike
Makes sense! My point is that someone would have some form of responsibility, regardless of whether you had the dead pixel guarantee purchased or not.

I will add the Dead Pixel Guarantee to my spec as it's not a great sum of money in the grand scheme of things.
You're right as long as the threshold for what classes as a defective screen is breached.

The problem occurs when the panel manufacturer writes in their terms and conditions that due to manufacturing tolerances anything up to 3 dead pixels does not constitute a defect and is within spec.

There is one very well known computer manufacturer that classifies anything up to 6 dead pixels as in spec.

You accept those T&C's when you purchase the product there-fore if you receive a screen which falls within spec but unfortunately still has a dead pixel there is no-one to hold responsible because the screen is not classed as faulty.

Buying the dead pixel guarantee is a great choice.

barlew

Godlike
Just a bit of further information for everyone. PCS panels will comply to class 2 of ISO 9241 which is the standard that regulates compliance and testing for electronic visual displays.

Class 2 states that:

"Class 2 panels - permit any or all of the following:

2 full bright pixels

2 full dark pixels

5-10 single or double bright or dark sub-pixels (again, depending on the number of each; no more than 5 bright (“stuck on”) subpixels are permitted)."

Source:

So technically you could have 2 pixels stuck on, 2 dead pixels and 5-10 dodgy pixels and you still would not be able to demand a refund.

Further reading can be found here if you cant sleep https://wikivisually.com/wiki/ISO_9241

Greenman

Enthusiast
Just a bit of further information for everyone. PCS panels will comply to class 2 of ISO 9241 which is the standard that regulates compliance and testing for electronic visual displays.

Class 2 states that:

"Class 2 panels - permit any or all of the following:

2 full bright pixels

2 full dark pixels

5-10 single or double bright or dark sub-pixels (again, depending on the number of each; no more than 5 bright (“stuck on”) subpixels are permitted)."

Source:

So technically you could have 2 pixels stuck on, 2 dead pixels and 5-10 dodgy pixels and you still would not be able to demand a refund.

Further reading can be found here if you cant sleep https://wikivisually.com/wiki/ISO_9241
That seems excessive

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If there is a dead pixel on delivery/first use PCS should rectify at their cost regardless of whether you have the guarantee or not. Would you agree with that? I wouldn't be filled with confidence within their products if a dead pixel occurs within 30 days!
Panels are allowed a certain number of dead pixels and still be deemed fit for purpose, it's always been that way.

It's the same for all manufacturers.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This isn't a PCS thing you will find this with all screen manufacturers. If you look at their T&Cs.
Yeah, it's not PCS setting those allowances, it's probably a worst case set by the panel manufacturers.

PCS are just covering what the manufacturers won't by offering dead pixel warranty.

It's very worthwhile and not a lot of places do it.

Sonic1506

Bronze Level Poster
Panels are allowed a certain number of dead pixels and still be deemed fit for purpose, it's always been that way.

It's the same for all manufacturers.

Yeah @barlew explained. It's worth getting as the cost is negligible compared to the rest of the kit.

Waiting for the Ionicos to be delivered and some reviews to come out before I pull the trigger.